Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Lavender, you can see a very young Tim Considine on TCM this afternoon in a movie with Red Skelton called "The Clown".

Princess. it's still your turn.

This actress was one of the stars of a One-Shot wonderful situation comedy from the 60s.

Previously she had had a recurring role on a hit situation comedy from the 60s.

She appeared in the full range of classic TV series as guest actress from "The Flying Nun" to" Perry Mason " and "Julia ".

Her father was in Show Business too and previous to her mother, he had been married to a very big movie star.

When you identify this actress, don't forget to name  the two TV sitcoms she was associated with and the name of the very big movie star who was her father's previous wife.

I don't know that the sit-com "Margie" was so wonderful, as it only lasted one season.  The star was a young actress named Cynthia Pepper.  She also played the girl friend of Tim Considine on "My Three Sons" in it's early years.  Her father, Jack Pepper, was a song and dance man in vaudeville who had once been married to Ginger Rogers.  He was a good friend of Bob Hope.  He did USO tours with Bob and appeared in many of Bob's movies.  Cynthia Pepper also starred in "Kissin' Cousins" with Elvis.

"Margie" was about a high school girl in the 1920's.  Here is a clip:

• Thanks 1

Miles, when you're a little kid and your favorite TV shows are "The Untouchables" and "The Roaring 20s", any show about a teenager in the 1920s is very exciting. 

But, I bet you thought Dorothy Provine in "The Roaring 20s" was a little exciting. LOL

I knew you'd get the Tim Considine connection immediately.

Good Work, and very thorough as usual.

Miles, now I'm leaving it all--up to you.....

Princess, in this photo from "The Mickey Mouse Club" you will see Tim Considine with his hands on the shoulders of Don Grady.  A few years later, they would be playing brothers on "My Three Sons".

Walt Disney in The Mickey Mouse Club (1955) 

Now, Cubby would go on to play drums with The Carpenters, but before he did, he was a drummer for a while on TV for a well known band.  Can you name that band?  For bonus points, can you name the other former mouseketeer who worked with that band?

Here's a hint:  The other former mouseketeer was a dancer with the band for many years.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:25 AM, MilesArcher said:

Princess, in this photo from "The Mickey Mouse Club" you will see Tim Considine with his hands on the shoulders of Don Grady.  A few years later, they would be playing brothers on "My Three Sons".

Walt Disney in The Mickey Mouse Club (1955) 

Now, Cubby would go on to play drums with The Carpenters, but before he did, he was a drummer for a while on TV for a well known band.  Can you name that band?  For bonus points, can you name the other former mouseketeer who worked with that band?

Here's a hint:  The other former mouseketeer was a dancer with the band for many years.

Cubby O'Brien played in the Lawrence Welk's Little Band and for the extra bonus points, Bobby Burgess was a dancer on the Lawrence Welk show ???

You are correct, Lavender.  Cubby played with Lawrence Welk for a short time.  Bobby Burgess was a featured dancer on the show for many years.

Here is Cubby with Lawrence Welk:

Image result for cubby o'brien  

Cubby was often teamed with young Janet Lennon on the show.  

Image result for cubby o'brien the lawrence welk show 

Here is Bobby Burgess with Myron Floren and Cissy King.  Bobby married Myron's daughter.

Image result for bobby burgess the lawrence welk show 

Good job as always, Lavender.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles :) My parents, especially my mom, loved the Lawrence Welk Show. 

next

The star of a classic tv show left the show because he wanted the story lines to focus on environmental issues rather than crime plots. Star and what show ??

He had 2 guest appearances on a huge hit tv show as the same character. A year later( he was not in the episode) an episode of the show was dedicated to him, he had passed away a little over a week before the episode aired.

edited by me

The show was not filmed indoors. If you guys read all the clues you'll know who this funny, athletic man was ( the tv show was not a comedy) and what tv show he starred in since it was a huge hit and is re-run every so often.

I've been following this thread for the last week or so, hoping someone will answer. The clues have intrigued me, but I have absolutely no idea what the answer is, or what any of the mentioned shows could be. Here's hoping the trivia threads' resident experts Princess and Miles can answer.

I haven't been home much lately, so I'm just getting caught up with some of these threads now.  My guess here is Lloyd Bridges, the star of "Sea Hunt", which was definitely not filmed indoors.  Later in his career he appeared in comedy films like "Airplane" and "Hot Shots".  He had appeared in a few episodes of "Seinfeld", and when he passed away, they dedicated a show to his memory.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I haven't been home much lately, so I'm just getting caught up with some of these threads now.  My guess here is Lloyd Bridges, the star of "Sea Hunt", which was definitely not filmed indoors.  Later in his career he appeared in comedy films like "Airplane" and "Hot Shots".  He had appeared in a few episodes of "Seinfeld", and when he passed away, they dedicated a show to his memory.

Yes, Lloyd Bridges and Sea Hunt is correct. Thanks Miles, your thread ;)

• Like 1

Thanks, Lavender.

Now, what sitcom star had her real life daughter as a semi-regular on the sitcom playing her sister?

On 8/5/2018 at 8:10 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.

Now, what sitcom star had her real life daughter as a semi-regular on the sitcom playing her sister?

The sitcom star had been in movies since the 1930's.  She had appeared with Shirley Temple and Abbott and Costello in movies.  The husband on the show was played by an actor who would be even more famous in another sitcom a decade or so later.

8 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

The sitcom star had been in movies since the 1930's.  She had appeared with Shirley Temple and Abbott and Costello in movies.  The husband on the show was played by an actor who would be even more famous in another sitcom a decade or so later.

Beverly Wills played Joan Davis' sister in I Married Joan, there was a very strong resemblance I think.  ??????

You got them, Lavender.  Here is Joan Davis.

image.jpeg.169e451e88565f6f255b3a1e1918d2ee.jpeg 

And here is her daughter, Beverly Wills.

Image result for beverly wills

And here they are together.

Related image 

Nice work, Lav.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles, I remember watching the show when I was a little girl and I'm enjoying watching the show when I can in the mornings on Decades Tv.

next

The show started on the radio, then a feature film was made and that became the pilot for this long running tv series.  Film, TV show ??

Here's a trivia question that you can ask your friends.  What movie featured future heartthrobs Rock Hudson and Ricky Nelson?  The answer is "Here Come The Nelsons".  It was a 1952 movie that served as a sort of pilot for "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet".  A young Rock Hudson, who was being groomed by Universal for bigger things, was in it, as well as a much younger Ricky Nelson.  The Nelson family had their own radio series for some years before the TV show.  In fact, I believe that David and Ricky were so young when the radio series started, that other child actors played their parts.

Image result for here come the nelsons 

Related image 

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here's a trivia question that you can ask your friends.  What movie featured future heartthrobs Rock Hudson and Ricky Nelson?  The answer is "Here Come The Nelsons".  It was a 1952 movie that served as a sort of pilot for "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet".  A young Rock Hudson, who was being groomed by Universal for bigger things, was in it, as well as a much younger Ricky Nelson.  The Nelson family had their own radio series for some years before the TV show.  In fact, I believe that David and Ricky were so young when the radio series started, that other child actors played their parts.

Image result for here come the nelsons 

Related image 

Here Comes The Nelsons and The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet is the correct answer Miles. I would have given that back info to my question but guess it's not necessary now LOL. Your thread Miles

Thanks, Lavender.  In the last few questions we failed to say that Jim Backus played the husband of Joan Davis on "I Married Joan", and Jim Backus and Ann Doran were in "Here Come The Nelsons" as Ozzie and Harriet's friends and neighbors, Joe and Clara Randolph. 

Related image

Here is a two part question. 

1.  In what other 1950's movie did Jim Backus and Ann Doran play a married couple? 

2.  In "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet" on TV, who played the parts of Joe and Clara Randolph?

38 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  In the last few questions we failed to say that Jim Backus played the husband of Joan Davis on "I Married Joan", and Jim Backus and Ann Doran were in "Here Come The Nelsons" as Ozzie and Harriet's friends and neighbors, Joe and Clara Randolph. 

Related image

Here is a two part question. 

1.  In what other 1950's movie did Jim Backus and Ann Doran play a married couple? 

2.  In "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet" on TV, who played the parts of Joe and Clara Randolph?

1. In Rebel Without A Cause, Jim Backus and Ann Doran played James Dean's parents

2. Joe Randolph was played by Lyle Talbot and Clara Randolph was played by Mary Jane Croft