Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Right again, Lavender.  Jim Backus and Ann Doran were very busy in those days.

Image result for jim backus and ann doran rebel without a cause 

Here are Joe and Clara Randolph from the TV series.

Image result for lyle talbot and mary jane croft  adventures of ozzie and harriet 

Nice job, Lav.  You're up again.

Thanks Miles. In the 1970's I worked for a jewelry designer ( actually I worked for 2 different designers', one in the 1960's, one in the 1970's)  Jim Backus and his wife were customers and I got to meet them. Jim Backus seemed to be a very nice man.

Thread Open

Old baby boomers should know the answers to these questions.

1.  What was the name of Tom Terrific's dog?

2.  What was the name of Winky Dink's dog?

3.  What was the name of the cat on "Andy's Gang"?

4.  What was the name of Roy Rogers' dog?

5.  What was the name of Zorro's horse?

6.  What was the name of the dog on "My Three Sons"?

7.  What was the name of the dog on "The People's Choice"?

8.  What was the name of Tonto's horse?

9.  What was the name of The Cisco Kid's Horse?

And of course, the one that everyone knows:

10.  What was the name of The Lone Ranger's nephew's horse?

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Old baby boomers should know the answers to these questions.

1.  What was the name of Tom Terrific's dog?

2.  What was the name of Winky Dink's dog?

3.  What was the name of the cat on "Andy's Gang"?

4.  What was the name of Roy Rogers' dog?

5.  What was the name of Zorro's horse?

6.  What was the name of the dog on "My Three Sons"?

7.  What was the name of the dog on "The People's Choice"?

8.  What was the name of Tonto's horse?

9.  What was the name of The Cisco Kid's Horse?

And of course, the one that everyone knows:

10.  What was the name of The Lone Ranger's nephew's horse?

1. Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog (I loved this cartoon on captain Kangaroo)

2. Woofer ( I still remember the theme song)

3. Midnight the Cat (loved Andy's Gang)

8. I think Tonto's horse was Scout

10.  Victor, of course (awaiting my 'major prize'...)

Check this clip to see if Shutoo is correct about #10:

Nice going ladies. They are all right so far.   Unfortunately, Shutoo, the Parker family did not win fifty thousand bucks and neither will you, but you will have the undying admiration of everyone on these message boards.  

Lavenderblue remember's Winky Dink's theme song.  For those of you who don't, here it is:

There are still two questions to be answered, #5 and #9.  

5. Zorro’s horse was Tornado.

9. The Cisco Kid’s horse was Diablo. (“Oh, Pancho! Oh, Cisco!”) 

Yes, Bunny.  You are correct.  Thanks to Princess, Lavender, Shutoo, and Bunny.  I hope you all enjoyed a little trip down memory lane.  BunnyWhit, welcome to Retro Trivia.  Since you are new here, I'll give you the chance to post next.

Thanks! I’ll throw out the first item that came to mind, though I’m betting it’s too simple for this group. At any rate:

Who was the first television star, and what were the circumstances that made it so? 

Here is what I found:

THE FIRST STAR OF TELEVISION

FELIX_scanning_image_Small.jpg

VISITING_FelixWho was Television’s First Star?

Felix The Cat – This Very Figure of Him

Felix rose to TV stardom in the late 1920s, when the American communications giant, RCA, chose him as a test subject for its television research. The lighting required to reflect images into the primitive television camera of the day proved far too hot for humans to stand, so using an inanimate object was the only option.

The engineers purchased this papier maché figurine of FELIX from the famed toy store, F.A.O. Shwartz in New York City, just up 5th Avenue at 57th Street from their own offices at Rockefeller Centre. Felix fell off his turntable often, which explains his “imperfect” condition. First his tail fell off, then his head, which was reattached with a drumstick.

It was in 1928 that RCA first broadcast Felix from the Empire State Building. Later, Felix was honoured when RCA transmitted his image on the first commercial television broadcast in 1939, as a lead up to the formal unveiling of television at the New York World’s Fair. Thus, Felix the Cat became Television’s First Star!

Before his television debut, this cat enjoyed many lives in animated film. Created by Otto Messmer, the initial series played from 1920 to 1928. The fun-loving cat made a comeback in 1936, starring in three short films. Then, in 1960, a new series was produced for television that featured the debut of Felix’s magic bag of tricks.

Felix’s most recent performance occurred in 1991, at the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York City, as part of the first demonstration of High Definition Television in the USA.

Yes, Felix, the Wonderful, Wonderful Cat, was our first television star, and a handsome one at that. 

Your thread, Miles.

Thanks, Bunny.  Actually, I believe there is an inaccuracy in the article I posted.  I don't believe that Felix was broadcast from The Empire State Building in 1928 because the building didn't open until 1931, 

Now, in the 1950's and into the 1960's, from Monday to Friday, a man hosted a popular daytime TV game show.  During that same time period he was a regular panelist on an equally popular weekly nighttime game show.  Can you name this man and the two shows?

17 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Bunny.  Actually, I believe there is an inaccuracy in the article I posted.  I don't believe that Felix was broadcast from The Empire State Building in 1928 because the building didn't open until 1931

Yes, you’re right. Transmission was begun in 1928 by W2XBS in Van Cortlandt Park, the station later moving to the New Amsterdam Theater Building. By 1931, when the station became part of NBC, broadcast took place at 42nd street. Then, the Empire State Building was completed in May, 1931, and RCA leased the 85th floor for a studio and transmitter location for experimental television. Sight and sound channels were licensed separately. Transmitters for both were located on the 85th floor with separate vertical dipole antennas extending into the skyline from the top of the building. This photo from 1931 shows electricians installing aerial and ground wires atop the Empire State Building. Recall that it was the tallest building in the world at the time, and check out those smiles.

76298A69-2C93-4D15-8EC1-AD3DA4A807C5.jpeg

20 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Bunny.  Actually, I believe there is an inaccuracy in the article I posted.  I don't believe that Felix was broadcast from The Empire State Building in 1928 because the building didn't open until 1931, 

Now, in the 1950's and into the 1960's, from Monday to Friday, a man hosted a popular daytime TV game show.  During that same time period he was a regular panelist on an equally popular weekly nighttime game show.  Can you name this man and the two shows?

Sounds like Bill Cullen..who hosted The Price is Right in the daytime and was on the I've Got a Secret panel in the evenings (and who I still catch on Blockbusters on buzzr..or did until they moved the time to 4am..)

That's the guy.  Good work, Shutoo.  Bill Cullen hosted many game shows over the years and he was a panelist from time to time on others.  He was the first host of "The Price Is Right" and he was a regular panelist on "I've Got A Secret" along with Betsy Palmer. Henry Morgan, and Bess Myerson.  That show was hosted by Garry Moore.

Image result for bill cullen the price is right 

Image result for bill cullen i've got a secret 

Shutoo, you get the next turn.

• Like 1

Can you name these actors, and the tv show they appeared in that gives them all something in common?

1. Bewitched: Season 2, Episode 14 Speak the Truth (16 Dec. 1965) Irene Vernon

2. Phyllis Coates, actress (Superman and the Mole Men/Adventures of Superman)

3. barbara bel - Google zoeken

4. HVgMpsTE.jpeg

5. Related image

6. patwoodell in big dollhouse - Google Search

7. Sherry Jackson

I think #2 is Phyllis Coates, who played Lois Lane in the first season of "The Adventures Of Superman".  She left the series and was replaced by Noel Neill, who had played Lois in a late forties serial. 

There's a clue in small print at the top of photo #6.  A check of IMDB shows that one of the cast members of "The Big Doll House" is Pat Woodell.  She was the first actress to play Bobbie Jo on "Petticoat Junction".  When she left the show she was replaced by Lori Saunders.  Three actresses played Billie Jo.  They were Jeannine Riley, Gunilla Hutton,and Meredith MacRae.  Linda Kaye played Betty Jo for the entire run of the show.   

• Like 1

Barbara was replaced by Donna Reed.

Hal March was replaced by Fred Clark.

Sherry Jackson was replaced by Penny Parker.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:53 PM, Princess of Tap said:

3) I Barbara Bel Geddes-- Dallas

4) Hal March, Burns and Allen

7) Sherry Jackson--Make Room for Daddy/ the Danny Thomas Show

• Like 1

1. Irene Vernon.  she was the first Louise Tate on Bewitched then she was replaced by Kasey Rogers

5. Mike Evans was replaced by Damon Evans on The Jeffersons

• Like 1

Yes, they were all replaced when they left a show..they were gone, but their character lingered on (and no one was supposed to notice they were different people..)..to sum up:

1. Irene Vernon was the original Louise Tate on Bewitched

2. Phyllis Coates was the first Lois Lane opposite George Reeves as Superman

3. Barbara bel Geddes was the first Miss Ellie on Dallas

4, Hal March was the first of 4 Harry Morton's on The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show

5. Mike Evans spent 14 years as Lionel Jefferson in All in the Family and The Jeffersons before being replaced

6. Pat Woodell was the original Bobbie Jo Bradley, who's personality went from serious to flirty when she was replaced on Petticoat Junction.

7. Sherry Jackson went from being one of the Kettle kids in that film series to growing up as daughter Terry on Make Room for Daddy for five seasons

Great guessing everyone!  Looks like the thread goes to Princess of Tap who got three, and the 'replacement' theme!