Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Recommended Posts

On 8/22/2018 at 7:52 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Barbara was replaced by Donna Reed.

Hal March was replaced by Fred Clark.

Sherry Jackson was replaced by Penny Parker.

 

Princess, Miles wrote that's it's now your turn . Do you want to post one or do you want to pass and leave the thread open ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, Lav, I got sick over the Labor Day weekend and lost track of time a little bit. LOL

NEXT:

This actor was one of the well known supporting players at a top studio in the Golden Era, particularly in the 1930s.

He was also a regular character in a popular and well-known movie series.

He appeared in 2 top popular movies in the 1950s.

But his regular role in one of the great dramatic series of classic TV is what we're concerned with here.

He appeared in every episode of this drama for five years once he was assigned his role. And yes he got billing . This was one of the most popular TV dramas in the history of television and this actor was on the screen for no more than 2 minutes at any one time. Although he may have been on several one or two minute slots. He had a regular role to perform in this TV show and it did not take very long.

Please identify the actor, the TV show and what his role was in that show.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, Miles wrote that's it's now your turn . Do you want to post one or do you want to pass and leave the thread open ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll guess that it's Ray Collins who played Lt. Tragg on "Perry Mason".   He was a regular in the Ma and Pa Kettle movie series.  He also appeared in "The Desperate Hours" and "Touch Of Evil". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll guess that it's Ray Collins who played Lt. Tragg on "Perry Mason".   He was a regular in the Ma and Pa Kettle movie series.  He also appeared in "The Desperate Hours" and "Touch Of Evil". 

All I can say are two things-1)-- Tragg is on Perry Mason a lot more than a couple of few minutes here and a couple minutes there and I don't think he was a 1930s character actor in Hollywood at a major Studio..

2) but I shouldn't tell you this but I will-- you're so hot right now you're burning. LOL

 BTW-- Ray Collins was with Perry Mason from the very beginning in 1957 until he died in 1964, which is 7 years/ not 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I only guessed Ray Collins because I knew he was in the Kettle family films.  Obviously, I didn't do much research.  Guess No. 2 is character actor George E. Stone, who played the court clerk on "Perry Mason".  He had been in lots of thirties movies at Warner Bros.  You may remember him from "Little Caesar" and "42nd Street".  Later he moved to Columbia Pictures and played The Runt, the pal of Chester Morris in the "Boston ****" series.  In the fifties, he appeared in "Guys And Dolls" and "Some Like It Hot".  He fits the clues, although I don't know that he was in every "Perry Mason" episode for five years.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

 I only guessed Ray Collins because I knew he was in the Kettle family films.  Obviously, I didn't do much research.  Guess No. 2 is character actor George E. Stone, who played the court clerk on "Perry Mason".  He had been in lots of thirties movies at Warner Bros.  You may remember him from "Little Caesar" and "42nd Street".  Later he moved to Columbia Pictures and played The Runt, the pal of Chester Morris in the "Boston ****" series.  In the fifties, he appeared in "Guys And Dolls" and "Some Like It Hot".  He fits the clues, although I don't know that he was in every "Perry Mason" episode for five years.   

 

I guess I'm proud to admit that I have the Perry Mason DVD'S and that George E. Stone's name is in the credits for all those years that he was associated with the program. 

He was an essential part of the program, but if you blinked you missed him because he was the guy who swore in the witnesses on the stand.

But I think that you're just terrific in coming up with that show to begin with.

 

Miles-- Your answers are never incompetent, irrelevant or immaterial.

 Take it away!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Princess.  I was pretty happy when you said I was hot, until I realized that you meant I was closing in on the answer.

Now, another veteran character actor appeared only in brief stints of a 1950's to 1960's weekly TV anthology series.  He would appear for only a minute or two on every show.  It was not a soap opera, but it was sponsored by a soap company.  He appeared in more than two hundred episodes.  Can you name the actor as swell as the show?   

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  I was pretty happy when you said I was hot, until I realized that you meant I was closing in on the answer.

Now, another veteran character actor appeared only in brief stints of a 1950's to 1960's weekly TV anthology series.  He would appear for only a minute or two on every show.  It was not a soap opera, but it was sponsored by a soap company.  He appeared in more than two hundred episodes.  Can you name the actor as swell as the show?   

Death Valley Days was hosted by Borax, so that came to mind. Stanley Andrews appeared in over 200 episodes ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got it, Lavender.  Stanley Andrews played The Old Ranger for many years.  He was eventually replaced by Ronald Reagan, and later Reagan went into politics and was replaced by Robert Taylor.  In those days anthology shows often had a host doing intros and outros much like the TCM hosts do with movies today.  The sponsor was Twenty Mule Team Borax and Boraxo powdered hand soap. 

Here is a typical episode: 

Nice work, Lavender.  It's your turn now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles, my first thought was of Reagan since that's the way I remember the show and of the Borox.

next

Although a hit song could have been used as the theme song of a classic tv show since the title and lyrics fit, a new song was composed and used instead. TV Show, the title of the song that wasn't used for the tv show, extra for what singer is associated the most with the song that wasn't used ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lavender, perhaps we need a little help.  Was the title of the song not used the same as the title of the TV show?  It sounds to me like it wasn't.  Also, could you tell us the approximate time frame that the show was on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Lavender, perhaps we need a little help.  Was the title of the song not used the same as the title of the TV show?  It sounds to me like it wasn't.  Also, could you tell us the approximate time frame that the show was on?

Miles, I'll give you guys this, the title of the song not used is not exactly the same but had the title of the show in the title of the song along with some other words. It was a song with lyrics. The theme song used for the tv show did not have lyrics, was just music and only the title of the show was the title of the theme song. It was a classic tv show that was a one hour long drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a song called "Get Your Kicks On Route 66", but that was not used for the "Route 66" TV series.  Here is the TV theme music:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, Get Your Kicks On Route 66 was a big hit song for Nat King Cole and was not used. Instead Nelson Riddle came up with the theme music for Route 66 ( no lyrics) and that was also a huge hit. They decided not to use the Get Your Kicks On Rte.66 song because CBS didn't want to pay the royaltyies for the song. Both songs are great and so well known. The tv show Route 66 was always a favorite of mine and I love both songs. Good work, your thread ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Lavender.  I forgot to mention that Nat King Cole had a hit recording of "Route 66".  Here it is:

 

 

Now, in the fifties, Walt Disney created a pop culture phenomenon when he televised the Davy Crocket series.  Originally, he was going to offer the role of Davy to a veteran actor who had been mostly a supporting actor in movies for many years, mostly musicals, going back to the 1930's.  However, before he made that decision, he was told to check out a tall young actor who had made a few movies and was getting some good notices.  Walt watched a movie that the actor was in and wanted to offer him the role of Davy, but the actor already had another commitment.  In the movie that Walt had seen there was another actor who caught his eye.  This fellow had the right look and accent for the role, so Walt offered it to him.  That fellow was Fess Parker.  

Who was the veteran actor who was Walt's original choice, and who was the tall young actor to whom he wanted to offer the role of Davy?  For bonus points, what was the tall actor's other commitment and what movie was the tall actor in with Fess Parker?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  I forgot to mention that Nat King Cole had a hit recording of "Route 66".  Here it is:

 

 

Now, in the fifties, Walt Disney created a pop culture phenomenon when he televised the Davy Crocket series.  Originally, he was going to offer the role of Davy to a veteran actor who had been mostly a supporting actor in movies for many years, mostly musicals, going back to the 1930's.  However, before he made that decision, he was told to check out a tall young actor who had made a few movies and was getting some good notices.  Walt watched a movie that the actor was in and wanted to offer him the role of Davy, but the actor already had another commitment.  In the movie that Walt had seen there was another actor who caught his eye.  This fellow had the right look and accent for the role, so Walt offered it to him.  That fellow was Fess Parker.  

Who was the veteran actor who was Walt's original choice, and who was the tall young actor to whom he wanted to offer the role of Davy?  For bonus points, what was the tall actor's other commitment and what movie was the tall actor in with Fess Parker?  

Buddy Ebsen was the veteran actor who was Walt's original choice. He saw James Arness and Fess Parker in THEM! James Arness was the actor with the prior commitment. Don't know the film he had the prior commitment in though

????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, Lavender.  James Arness' prior commitment was not a movie, but a TV series.  It was "Gunsmoke".  It had been a radio show starring William Conrad, but Conrad was not quite right for the TV version.  Walt felt bad for Buddy Ebsen, so he instructed his writers to give Buddy a major role in the series.  He was cast as Davy's best friend, George Russell.

 

Nice going, Lavender.  You get to go next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This teen was a regular on a classic tv comedy and at the same time, the teen appeared on a series and had a recurring role. The classic tv show was long running, the series was on one season. Each episode of the series that was on for one season was 15 minutes long. Teen, the 2 shows???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

This teen was a regular on a classic tv comedy and at the same time, the teen appeared on a series and had a recurring role. The classic tv show was long running, the series was on one season. Each episode of the series that was on for one season was 15 minutes long. Teen, the 2 shows???

Well the actor was Tim Considine who was the original oldest son in Fred MacMurray's "My Three Sons".

 Tim was also a Mouseketeer on " The Mickey Mouse Club " and appeared I think in two, 15 minute serials:

1 was Spin and Marty and I think he was also in The Hardy Boys.

 But I think it must have been The Hardy Boys that he was doing the same time as "My Three Sons" because Spin and Marty seems like it came before.

 This whole thing was logically more way more than 50 years ago so I better stop now before I get a headache  LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well the actor was Tim Considine who was the original oldest son in Fred MacMurray's "My Three Sons".

 Tim was also a Mouseketeer on " The Mickey Mouse Club " and appeared I think in two, 15 minute serials:

1 was Spin and Marty and I think he was also in The Hardy Boys.

 But I think it must have been The Hardy Boys that he was doing the same time as "My Three Sons" because Spin and Marty seems like it came before.

 This whole thing was logically more way more than 50 years ago so I better stop now before I get a headache  LOL.

Sorry Princess, it's a good guess but it's not Tim, not the Hardy Boys, not My Three Sons. In my question I wrote that the teen appeared in the long running tv series and the recurring role in the other series were at the same time. The Hardy Boys and My Three Sons were about 4 years apart. However, your train of thought is a good one.

new clue- the teen was a female

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...