Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Roberta Shore was the girl that I really didn't like in the Annette series on the Mickey Mouse Club.

I remember she was on The Virginian which was not a comedy but apparently she was also on Father Knows Best, which I don't remember.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sorry Princess, it's a good guess but it's not Tim, not the Hardy Boys, not My Three Sons. In my question I wrote that the teen appeared in the long running tv series and the recurring role in the other series were at the same time. The Hardy Boys and My Three Sons were about 4 years apart. However, your train of thought is a good one.

new clue- the teen was a female

BTW--But my favorite bit for her was in "A Summer Place".

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Roberta Shore was the girl that I really didn't like in the Annette series on the Mickey Mouse Club.

I remember she was on The Virginian which was not a comedy but apparently she was also on Father Knows Best, which I don't remember.

BTW--But my favorite bit for her was in "A Summer Place".

Keep trying you're getting closer and half way there. It's not Roberta and  the teen was a regular in the cast of the tv comedy She had a major role and was in practically every episode in the long running comedy show.

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Shelly Fabares?  She was in the "Annette" series and she was a regular on "The Donna Reed Show".

Yes it is Shelley Fabares. She was in 15 of the 19 episodes of Annette on the Mickey Mouse Club and at the same time she was Mary Stone, Donna's daughter on The Donna Reed Show. Both shows ran in 1958. Shelley had a good long career that began as a child. She played a teen in both Annette and Donna's show, she was 14. She appeared in films, had hit single record. She was a guest on many classic tv shows, was a regular on One Day At A Time  and Evening Shade as an adult. She was Nanette Fabares niece and in real life, Shelley and Annette were best friends. A few years ago, I watched all the episodes of Annette on Youtube, it may still be there. OK Miles, you did clean up, good job and good try Princess. Miles, back to you.

Sticking with the Disney theme, two young fellows who appeared on "The Mickey Mouse Club" were also cast as brothers in several Disney movies.  Can you name the two fellows and each of their movies where they played brothers?

9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Sticking with the Disney theme, two young fellows who appeared on "The Mickey Mouse Club" were also cast as brothers in several Disney movies.  Can you name the two fellows and each of their movies where they played brothers?

Tommy Kirk and Kevin Corcoran, neither were Mousekeeteers however both appeared on the Mickey Mouse Club in some of the series on the show. Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog, Bon Voyage, Swiss Family Robinson, Savage Sam were the films the 2 played brothers ????????????

You are correct, Lavender.  They played brothers in those five films.  Dorothy McGuire played their mother in "Old Yeller" and "Swiss Family Robinson".  Fred MacMurray played their father in "The Shaggy Dog" and "Bon Voyage".

Image result for kevin corcoran and tommy kirk old yeller 

Nice work. Lavender.  You're up again.

As silly as this sounds, there were protests from some over zealous religious viewers that this 1960's tv show might lead to devil worship. It was a long running hit tv show. TV Show?

8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Bewitched?

Bewitched is the show. Protests from viewers in the Bible states were afraid Bewitched would lead to devil worship! How ridiculous can some people be? Good work Jim, your thread

• Thanks 1

A very popular 30s and 40s actress and a highly respected actor of the same era co starred in a 1940s film. He did not want her for the film and she claimed that he was rude, brusque and even made a pass at her. The studio head threatened to fire the actor, and after that he was tearful and cleaned up his act.

Can you name the actor and actress?

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be "A Guy Named Joe" with Irene Dunne and Spencer Tracy?

Correct, Miles.

Tracy was angry that Katherine Hepburn did not get the role and took it out on Dunne, this was according to her in a 1970s interview. Spielberg remade the film as "Always" with Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter.

Your thread

An Oscar winning songwriting team wrote the theme music for what would become a popular TV western series.  Although the theme had lyrics, the words were never heard.  Perhaps it made the song too long. 

Can you name the show, as well as the songwriters? 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

An Oscar winning songwriting team wrote the theme music for what would become a popular TV western series.  Although the theme had lyrics, the words were never heard.  Perhaps it made the song too long. 

Can you name the show, as well as the songwriters? 

Although we've heard the lyrics, I think maybe in the pilot, for the tv show, Bonanza's theme by Evans and Livingston was music, no lyrics ??

Jay Livingston and Ray Evans gave us "Buttons And Bows", "Mona Lisa", ans "Que Sera Sera", among others.  They wrote the theme for "Bonanza" for the pilot in 1959.  It had both words and music and a short version of it was recorded by the cast.  Here it is:

That was never aired.  Years later, Lorne Greene recorded and extended version that is this next clip

Nice work, Lavender.  It's your thread now.

Thanks Miles.

This character actor was on 2 classic hit tv shows as a recurring character. Both shows were on during some of the same years. Both were long running hit tv shows. He was probably known more for one show than the other, he was more of a regular (seen more often) on that show, both were comedies. Actor and the 2 tv shows???

Harry Morgan was Pete in "December Bride " and Harry Morgan was Pete in " Pete and Gladys"  with Cara Williams.

11 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles.

This character actor was on 2 classic hit tv shows as a recurring character. Both shows were on during some of the same years. Both were long running hit tv shows. He was probably known more for one show than the other, he was more of a regular (seen more often) on that show, both were comedies. Actor and the 2 tv shows???

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Harry Morgan was Pete in "December Bride " and Harry Morgan was Pete in " Pete and Gladys"  with Cara Williams.

Sorry Princess. although it's true that Henry Morgan had those 2 roles, in my question I wrote both shows were long running, Pete and Gladys was only on 2 seasons. It was a good guess though.

clue- One of the shows did begin in the 1950's and ran into the 1960's. The other show was in the 1960's

The other person I immediately thought of was "Deac" who was in The Dick Van Dyke Show in the 60"s and played Lumpy's father in Leave it to Beaver in the 1950s --that would be Richard Deacon.

19 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sorry Princess. although it's true that Henry Morgan had those 2 roles, in my question I wrote both shows were long running, Pete and Gladys was only on 2 seasons. It was a good guess though.

clue- One of the shows did begin in the 1950's and ran into the 1960's. The other show was in the 1960's

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

The other person I immediately thought of was "Deac" who was in The Dick Van Dyke Show in the 60"s and played Lumpy's father in Leave it to Beaver in the 1950s --that would be Richard Deacon.

That thought was the one I was after. Richard Deacon played Mr. Rutherford, Lumpy's dad on Leave it To Beaver and that overlapped into Deacon playing Mel Cooley, Alan Brady's brother-in-law on The Dick Van Dyke Show . He played both characters at the same time between 1961-1963. Good work Princess, your thread ;)

• Thanks 1