Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

10 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

That thought was the one I was after. Richard Deacon played Mr. Rutherford, Lumpy's dad on Leave it To Beaver and that overlapped into Deacon playing Mel Cooley, Alan Brady's brother-in-law on The Dick Van Dyke Show . He played both characters at the same time between 1961-1963. Good work Princess, your thread ;)

I have to tell you that Deac was a fine chef and often catered parties for his movie star friends. The first microwave oven that my mother got came with a cookbook of all his favorite recipes for the microwave with a very nice photo of him on the back in his own personal kitchen.

Thanks and I'll be back with another one.

This very prominent movie actress and Broadway star was a mainstay of a prestigious TV anthology dramatic  series of specials in the Golden Age of television.

In one she reenacted an Academy Award performance role of Olivia de Havilland's and in another she reenacted a legendary stage role of Helen Hayes'.

When you identify the actress also identify the TV anthology special and the two performance roles mentioned above.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:14 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This very prominent movie actress and Broadway star was a mainstay of a prestigious TV anthology dramatic  series of specials in the Golden Age of television.

In one she reenacted an Academy Award performance role of Olivia de Havilland's and in another she reenacted a legendary stage role of Helen Hayes'.

When you identify the actress also identify the TV anthology special and the two performance roles mentioned above.

Hint #1: She scored a prominent portrayal in a legendary Elia Kazan movie.

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint #1: She scored a prominent portrayal in a legendary Elia Kazan movie.

Princess, yesterday and now with this last clue I keep thinking that the actress might be Julie Harris.  Julie did play Catherine Sloper (The Heiress) in a Tv movie but I can't find an anthology series that she was a mainstay on. athough I don't do this normally, please rule out Julie Harris if it's not her, so I can move on. LOL Thanks

• Like 1

Hallmark Hall of Fame and Victoria Regina with Basil Rathbone as Disraeli.

And that Elia Kazan movie is, of course, East of Eden

Lav, you're good, very good!

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, yesterday and now with this last clue I keep thinking that the actress might be Julie Harris.  Julie did play Catherine Sloper (The Heiress) in a Tv movie but I can't find an anthology series that she was a mainstay on. athough I don't do this normally, please rule out Julie Harris if it's not her, so I can move on. LOL Thanks

Thanks Princess :)

Although this actor appeared in films, he was probably most recognizable from his tv appearances. He was in some popular tv series beginning in the late 1950's. Probably the one most baby boomers will remember most was one he played the lead in and 2 other well known actors played supporting roles in that tv show. That show was in the 1960's. He was handsome and well liked. He was seen on tv beginning in the late 50's thru the 1970's, in series and guest appearances. He was in films again in the 1980's and 2 tv movies in the 1980's. Who was this handsome actor and name at least 2 (although there were more than 2) of the tv series he appeared in (including especially the 1960's series most baby boomers would remember)

edited by me

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He played a detective on a late 1950's tv series

I will take a guess:

Efrem Zimbalist Jr from 77 Sunset Strip and The FBI?

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I will take a guess:

Efrem Zimbalist Jr from 77 Sunset Strip and The FBI?

Good guess, but not him. In one of the clues I wrote he  played a character loosely based on a novelist and the film is shown on TCM.

clue- he played the husband of a First Lady in a tv movie

29 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

"Bourbon Street Beat's" Richard Long?

Not him. Please guys read all the clues.

extra clues- This actor was Blonde. The 1960's tv show that baby boomers would remember ( he was NOT a detective on that show) as I said, had 2 supporting recurring actors, one won an Oscar the other was nominated for 2 Oscars. the actor I'm asking about was nominated for a Golden Globe for the show.

sounds like James Franciscus..on Mr. Novack his co-stars were Oscar winner Dean Jagger, and nominee Burgess Meredith.  He was a detective on Naked City, later Longstreet.  He was also the first choice to be tv's Dr. Kildare..and marrying 'wild Bill' Wellman's daughter didn't seem to help him get big screen parts...

James Franciscus is correct. Some of the classic tv shows were Mr. Novak, Naked City and Longstreet. The film TCM shows that he starred in was Youngblood Hawke directed by Delmer Daves, Suzanne Pleschette co-starred. He played JFK twice, once on the big screen in The Greek Tycoon and once in the tv movie Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy.

Mr. Novak was considered a ground breaking show at the time because of the topics it tackled. The show won 47 Educational Awards and it won a Peabody Award.

James Franciscus unfortunately passed when he was 57.

Your thread Shutoo

• Like 1

thanks lavenderblue!

Can you name these ladies..and what they have in common that relates to retro-tv trivia?

1. a86a6627e73f46fc8e8e977f4d40a340.jpg

2. Loni Anderson

3. Allyce Beasley 58

4. Mary Tyler Moore's Junior year photo in the 1954 yearbook at Immaculate Heart High School in Los Angeles, California.

5. Wendie Jo Sperber. Breast cancer, 2005, age 47.

6. 2b427610934fe554365681d57a12720b.jpg

7. a9353e92d9e8e1a2f5c5d7d7f398731a.jpg

8. 791792514d9bbf4a25c5a9b12a40e3d3.jpg

1. Is Ann Tyrell..Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show

4. Is Mary Tyler Moore..Richard Diamond, Private Detective 

7. Is Marcia Wallace..The Bob Newhart Show

6 is not Faye Dunaway..and they weren't exactly secretaries...(although they sometimes did secretary tasks or were called secretaries)

35 minutes ago, shutoo said:

1. Is Ann Tyrell..Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show

4. Is Mary Tyler Moore..Richard Diamond, Private Detective 

7. Is Marcia Wallace..The Bob Newhart Show

6 is not Faye Dunaway..and they weren't exactly secretaries...(although they sometimes did secretary tasks or were called secretaries)

OK - - Mary Tyler Moore was called Sam and I believe you'd say she was a telephone operator.

So are you calling them switchboard /telephone operators or receptionists?

I would say receptionist may apply to most of them.

#2 is a very young picture of Loni Anderson of "WKRP In Cincinnati", before she became a blonde.

#3,  who I think resembles Carol Burnett, is Allyce Beasley of "Moonlighting".

#5 is Wendie Jo Sperber of "Bosom Buddies".

#6 is, I believe, Jacqueline Beer from "77 Sunset Strip"

#8 played Gertie, the receptionist on "Perry Mason".  I had to look up her name.  It's Connie Cezon.  I think she looks a bit like actress Jan Sterling.

• Like 1

They were all receptionists (although some had expanded duties)...the ones that fielded calls and clients before the secretaries or bosses.  8. Connie Cezon was a toughie--she's mentioned in nearly every episode ('send them in, Gertie') but rarely seen.  Great eye, Princess of Tap and MilesArcher!!  

With 5, MilesArcher gets the thread!