Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Could it be Anne Francis and John Ericson?  They played brother and sister in "Bad Day At Black Rock", and then years later they starred in the TV series "Honey West", where she had a pet ocelot named Bruce.

Image result for anne frances, john ericson and ocelot  honey west TV series 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Anne Francis and John Ericson?  They played brother and sister in "Bad Day At Black Rock", and then years later they starred in the TV series "Honey West", where she had a pet ocelot named Bruce.

Thanks Miles. Eisenhower they say screened Bad Day At Bad Rock quite a bit at the White House. I've read JFK did too. 10 years later, Honey West starring Anne Francis and John Ericsson showed up on tv.Anne Francis showed up on Burke's Law as Honey West, so Honey West was a sort of spin-off of Burke's Law. She was the first female detective on tv, so it was sort of ground breaking. Bad Day at Black Rock had quite a few Oscar nominations, but Honey only lasted 1 season. Yes, her pet was an Ocelot named Bruce. Both Anne Francis and John Ericsson were very attractive. Glad you put my clues together and came up with the correct answer. Good work, your thread Miles :)

Thanks, Lavender.  John Ericson was in the Disney film "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".  

Yes, Honey West and her partner, Sam Bolt, were introduced on an episode of "Burke's Law".  That was quite common in those days.  Laverne and Shirley were introduced on an episode of "Happy Days", and Sheriff Andy Taylor was introduced on an episode of "The Danny Thomas Show".

Now, Honey West was TV's first female private detective, but there was an earlier TV series about a policewoman who worked as an undercover detective.  This was before Angie Dickinson's "Police Woman", and before "Cagney And Lacey".  Can you name the TV series and the star?   

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  John Ericson was in the Disney film "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".  

Yes, Honey West and her partner, Sam Bolt, were introduced on an episode of "Burke's Law".  That was quite common in those days.  Laverne and Shirley were introduced on an episode of "Happy Days", and Sheriff Andy Taylor was introduced on an episode of "The Danny Thomas Show".

Now, Honey West was TV's first female private detective, but there was an earlier TV series about a policewoman who worked as an undercover detective.  This was before Angie Dickinson's "Police Woman", and before "Cagney And Lacey".  Can you name the TV series and the star?   

Unfortunately, DECADES TV is no longer,it  morphed into a different station but before that happened, I did watch a few episodes of a 1957 tv show named DECOY. It starred Beverly Garland as the policeman undercover detective ??

Yes, it is "Decoy" with Beverly Garland as undercover cop Casey Jones.  Years later, she joined the cast of "My Three Sons" as Fred MacMurray's love interest and new wife.

Image result for beverly garland decoy 

It only lasted one season.  Here is an episode partially filmed at Coney Island.

It's your turn now, Lavender.

Huh! I'm watching these goings-on; I just don't see a chance yet to jump in. Keep it going though!

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Huh! I'm watching these goings-on; I just don't see a chance yet to jump in. Keep it going though!

When you answer the question correctly, then you can post one.

Miles, I thought of one.

This actor had been in films. A sci-fi, noirs playing the villian. Each week he starred in a classic tv show.  He was the only consistent actor each week on the show. The show had a different cast and different storylines each week.                                                                                    Actor, the tv show,                                                                                                                       ( extra for a sci-fi film and a noir he was in) ????

I don't know if this is who you are looking for, but one actor that comes to mind is Lloyd Bridges of the TV series "Sea Hunt".  He was the only regular cast member.  In the early fifties, he was in a noir called "The Sound Of Fury" with Frank Lovejoy.  Bridges played a vicious killer in that one.  He was also in a sci-fi film called "Rocketship X-M" about that time.  Later he was in another sci-fi picture, "Around The World Under The Sea", as well as "Stowaway To The Moon".

He may or may not be the one, but he fits the clues in the question.

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I don't know if this is who you are looking for, but one actor that comes to mind is Lloyd Bridges of the TV series "Sea Hunt".  He was the only regular cast member.  In the early fifties, he was in a noir called "The Sound Of Fury" with Frank Lovejoy.  Bridges played a vicious killer in that one.  He was also in a sci-fi film called "Rocketship X-M" about that time.  Later he was in another sci-fi picture, "Around The World Under The Sea", as well as "Stowaway To The Moon".

He may or may not be the one, but he fits the clues in the question.

Lloyd Bridges does fit Miles, good work your thread

In the 1950's, Warner Bros. ventured into TV in a big way, especially with popular westerns and detective shows.  By the end of the decade, the studio decided to capitalize on the popularity of some of it's TV stars and put not one, not two, but three of their stars together in a theatrical movie.  For some theater goers, it was the first time seeing these stars on the big screen and in color.  Can you name this movie and the three Warner's stars? 

Miles, you almost tripped up this old WB girl because my first fast answer was "Darby's Rangers". But since you wanted it in Technicolor, it would have to be " Yellowstone Kelly", which of course stars big Clint Walker, John Russell and

my heartthrob Edd Kookie Byrnes.

Although I never got to see either of these movies on the big screen, I was thrilled to see Bret Maverick AKA James Garner in" Up Periscope" in adorable WB Technicolor. This of course was a big deal because all of the TV shows were originally shown in black and white.

This was definitely one of my favorite questions, thanks.

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

In the 1950's, Warner Bros. ventured into TV in a big way, especially with popular westerns and detective shows.  By the end of the decade, the studio decided to capitalize on the popularity of some of it's TV stars and put not one, not two, but three of their stars together in a theatrical movie.  For some theater goers, it was the first time seeing these stars on the big screen and in color.  Can you name this movie and the three Warner's stars? 

Princess, all of the kids that I knew loved Cheyenne and Kookie, so when "Yellowstone Kelly" came to the local theater, we had to see it.  "Cheyenne" and "Lawman" reruns are seen every weekday on the Starz/Encore western channel.  Nice work, Princess.  I'm glad that you liked the question.  You're up next.

MV5BMTYxMjk4NDc4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTM3ODU5Mw@@._V1_.jpg 

• Thanks 1

This child star was one of my favorites of the late 50s and early 60s.

He started out supporting big stars like Yul Brynner and David Niven in the "A " movies.

His success in movies propelled him to several regular sitcom roles.

In between being a series regular, he appeared on just about every other popular show of the day:

The Lucy Show, The Jack Benny show, My Three Sons and Lassie.

When you identify this actor, please also name one of his TV series and one of his big screen hits.

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This child star was one of my favorites of the late 50s and early 60s.

He started out supporting big stars like Yul Brynner and David Niven in the "A " movies.

His success in movies propelled him to several regular sitcom roles.

In between being a series regular, he appeared on just about every other popular show of the day:

The Lucy Show, The Jack Benny show, My Three Sons and Lassie.

When you identify this actor, please also name one of his TV series and one of his big screen hits.

Flip Mark? He was in Please Don't Eat The Daisies with David Niven, The Journey with You Brynner, he appeared on the Jack Benny Show, The Lucy Show, My Three Sons and Lassie. In 2 tv series he was  in  Guestward Ho as a regular and Fair Exchange as a regular ?????

14 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Flip Mark? He was in Please Don't Eat The Daisies with David Niven, The Journey with You Brynner, he appeared on the Jack Benny Show, The Lucy Show, My Three Sons and Lassie. In 2 tv series he was  in  Guestward Ho as a regular and Fair Exchange as a regular ?????

Now, I knew this would not be hard for you or Miles. Even though Flip was not as Lucky in the sitcom Department as Stanley Livingston or Jerry Mathers, he definitely was one of the top boys to follow on TV who had gotten their start in the real movies.

I personally was a big fan of "Guestward Ho! "and "Fair Exchange"-- I believe each lasted one season.

Lav, good work and were you a fan too?

In the mid to late 1950's, a new kind of novelty record was born.  In this type of record, snippets of popular songs of the day were inserted for comedic effect.  One of the biggest hits of this kind was a record about an invasion of earth by aliens.  It was done as a newscast with song snippets representing what the aliens said.  The newscaster was named John Cameron Cameron.  Can you name this unique hit record?    

On 10/30/2018 at 1:50 AM, MilesArcher said:

In the mid to late 1950's, a new kind of novelty record was born.  In this type of record, snippets of popular songs of the day were inserted for comedic effect.  One of the biggest hits of this kind was a record about an invasion of earth by aliens.  It was done as a newscast with song snippets representing what the aliens said.  The newscaster was named John Cameron Cameron.  Can you name this unique hit record?    

The Flying Saucer ( Parts 1 & 2) Bill Buchanan and Dickie Goodman, the song was #3 on the charts in 1956 ????