Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Recommended Posts

Very good, Lavender.  Yes, it was "The Flying Saucer".  We had the record in my house.  Here it is:

 

 

 

Nice job, Lav.  You're next.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles :)

Actor an Actress had recurring roles on a very popular classic tv comedy. When that show ended, the same actor and actress became regular co-stars (although neither was the star of the show) on a classic tv comedy that began just a few months after the first tv show show ended. That show was also a hit. Bet any self respecting baby boomer can sing the theme songs ( or at least humm) to both shows. Actor and Actress and the 2 tv shows ????

edited by me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAG played an important role in the lives of the actor the question is partially about and the star of the 2nd tv show that the actor and the other actress played husband and wife in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This question had me puzzled until the latest clue.  I believe that it's William Schallert and Jean Byron.  They both had recurring roles as teachers on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis".  Then they played the parents of Patty Duke on "The Patty Duke Show".  Patty Duke and William Schallert each served as President of the Screen Actors Guild.

Now, Lavender, I think I'm a self respecting baby boomer, but I couldn't remember Dobie's theme song.  You can hear it in this clip:

   

Patty's theme was more familiar to me.  Hear it is:

 

By the way, on The Dobie Gillis show, Jean Byron played a character named Imogene Burkhart.  That was her real name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That last clue was the giveaway clue. I'm amazed you couldn't remember Dobie's theme song! Even without re-runs I could sing it in my sleep. May not have been a favorite show in your house all those years ago, but my sister and I never missed an episode. As far as the Patty Duke's theme song show goes, that one's a standard LOL

Yes, William Schallert was Dobie's High School teacher and Jean Bryon's character was Dobie's College Professor. After Dobie ended, a few months later, both William Schallert and Jean Bryon played husband and wife on the Patty Duke Show. Both fun retro shows. Unfortunately neither show is being aired in this area. It's your thread Miles and glad you found the question challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Lavender.  In trying to come up with an answer to your last question, I stumbled across a similar situation.  An actor became a regular, or at least a semi-regular, on a popular comedy show that ran for several years.  It had a rather large cast and he was not the star.  An actress had a recurring role as his wife.  A couple of years after the series ended, he was cast as one of the stars of a new comedy series and the same actress was cast as his wife.  In this case, like "The Patty Duke Show", the new series had a catchy theme song and was set in New York.  Can you name the actor and actress, as well as the two shows where they played a married couple?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

This question had me puzzled until the latest clue.  I believe that it's William Schallert and Jean Byron.  They both had recurring roles as teachers on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis".  Then they played the parents of Patty Duke on "The Patty Duke Show".  Patty Duke and William Schallert each served as President of the Screen Actors Guild.

Now, Lavender, I think I'm a self respecting baby boomer, but I couldn't remember Dobie's theme song.  You can hear it in this clip:

   

Patty's theme was more familiar to me.  Hear it is:

 

By the way, on The Dobie Gillis show, Jean Byron played a character named Imogene Burkhart.  That was her real name.

I had to stop watching Dobie and Maynard after Thalia Menninger left the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  In trying to come up with an answer to your last question, I stumbled across a similar situation.  An actor became a regular, or at least a semi-regular, on a popular comedy show that ran for several years.  It had a rather large cast and he was not the star.  An actress had a recurring role as his wife.  A couple of years after the series ended, he was cast as one of the stars of a new comedy series and the same actress was cast as his wife.  In this case, like "The Patty Duke Show", the new series had a catchy theme song and was set in New York.  Can you name the actor and actress, as well as the two shows where they played a married couple?

Here's a hint:  Both shows had the same creator/producer.  One show was on in the 50's.  The other one was on in the early 60's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here's a hint:  Both shows had the same creator/producer.  One show was on in the 50's.  The other one was on in the early 60's.

How about The Phil Silvers Show- Joe E. Ross as Ritzik and Beatrice Pons as Mrs. Ritzik and

Car 54 Where Are You? - Joe E. Ross as Gunther Toody and Beatrice Bons as Lucille Toody  ?? Nat Hiken created both shows and Car 54 certainly had a catchy theme song LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, Oooh, Lavender, you got them.  Joe E. Ross became a favorite of my friends at school.  They often imitated him with his expressions Oooh, Oooh, and Do you mind?  DO  YOU  MIND?

"The Phil Silvers Show" was on for four seasons, but Car 54 only ran for two seasons.   Beatrice Pons was only on the Silvers show occasionally, but she was pretty much a regular on Car 54.  Here's a typical episode of Car 54.

 

 

Since you were a New Yorker then, Lavender, you probably noticed that the show was filmed on location.   Nice work, Lav.  You get to go next.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car 54 was hilarious, so was the Phil Silvers show. Nat Hiken was brilliant. I only got to watch Sgt. Bilko in re-runs but I very fondly remember Car 54. Never missed an episode and yes, especially the boys would mimic Toody with his Ooh,ooh's and repeating Do You Mind . Car 54 not just took place in NY but in the Bronx. We're playing ping pong again, I'll leave the Thread Open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're waiting for someone to come up with a challenging question, here's one that shouldn't be too tough.  Getting back to "Car 54, Where Are You?", when the series ended, both Fred Gwynne, who played Francis, and Al Lewis, who played Officer Schnauser, went from Car 54 to "The Munsters".  There was someone else who had a semi-regular or recurring role on Car 54 who later became a regular on a long running sitcom.  Actually it was the same character on two sitcoms, but it was quite a few years after Car 54 went off the air.  Can you name this person? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

While we're waiting for someone to come up with a challenging question, here's one that shouldn't be too tough.  Getting back to "Car 54, Where Are You?", when the series ended, both Fred Gwynne, who played Francis, and Al Lewis, who played Officer Schnauser, went from Car 54 to "The Munsters".  There was someone else who had a semi-regular or recurring role on Car 54 who later became a regular on a long running sitcom.  Actually it was the same character on two sitcoms, but it was quite a few years after Car 54 went off the air.  Can you name this person? 

Charlotte Rae was Sylvia Schnauser, married to the Al Lewis character of Schnauser on Car 54 where Are You? Charlotte Rae played Edna Garrett on Different Strokes and The Facts of Life ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's correct, Lav.  "Car 54, Where Are You" was on from 1961 to 1963.  She played Mr. Drummond's housekeeper, Edna Garrett, starting in 1978.  Two season's later, Edna left to work at the private girl's school on "The Facts Of Life".  Here is an episode of Car 54 where she is featured.  If you watch it, you should recognize several actors who would become much more famous in years to come.

 

Nice work, Lavender, You get to go next.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles

An actor was happy with his role on this classic tv show but because of health reasons had to leave the show. Not only was he unhappy about leaving, he hated the actor who replaced him. The 2 actors and the classic tv show???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Both had been character actors in films

William Frawley and William Demarest in My Three Sons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

William Frawley and William Demarest in My Three Sons?

Yes, William Frawley and William Demarest and My Three Sons are correct. Frawley was ill and had to leave the show. He was happy on the show and resented leaving but to add insult to injury, he hated William Demarest. Good work, your thread Jim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years before he was TV's "Kojak", Telly Savalas guested on an anthology series in an episode that featured a child's toy.  It was not just an ordinary toy.  He was not at all fond of the toy.  What was the series and what was the toy?  What was so special about it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Years before he was TV's "Kojak", Telly Savalas guested on an anthology series in an episode that featured a child's toy.  It was not just an ordinary toy.  He was not at all fond of the toy.  What was the series and what was the toy?  What was so special about it? 

An extremly creepy, scary Twilight Zone episode, The Living Doll. His stepdaughter's doll would say I'm going to kill you. That episode always scared me, I rewatched it a couple of years ago. Unforgettable episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the one.  The doll's name was Talky Tina.  Although it was probably based on the "Chatty Cathy" doll, it was kind of the forerunner of the Chucky doll in the "Child's Play" movies.  Someone on IMDB pointed out that the doll's name was Tina and the little girls name was Christie, both nicknames for Christina, so maybe the little girl was somehow getting back at mean step-father Telly Savalas.  I don't know.  That's too deep for me.  All I know is that it was a very scary episode.  Here is a very short, but creepy, summary clip.

Nice work, Lavender.  It's your thread now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles, I will never watch that episode again, way to scary for me LOL

This beautiful actress had a film career and also a tv career in classic mid 20th century tv shows. She had roles in 2 classic tv shows at the same time, one lasted longer than the other, both were comedies. The actress, the 2 tv shows ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...