Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks, Lav.

Here is a list of some characters from fifties and sixties TV series.  For each one, can you name the actor or actress who played that character, as well as the name of the show?

1.  Flora MacMichael

2.  George Baxter

3.  Clara Randolph

4.  Tom Brewster

5.  Shultzy

6.  Sock Miller

7.  Frank Smith

8.  Ichabod "Ikky" Mudd

9.  Captain Manzini

10.  Ross Lane

11.  Bradley Stevens

12.  Edie Hart

20 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.

Here is a list of some characters from fifties and sixties TV series.  For each one, can you name the actor or actress who played that character, as well as the name of the show?

1.  Flora MacMichael

2.  George Baxter

3.  Clara Randolph

4.  Tom Brewster

5.  Shultzy

6.  Sock Miller

7.  Frank Smith

8.  Ichabod "Ikky" Mudd

9.  Captain Manzini

10.  Ross Lane

11.  Bradley Stevens

12.  Edie Hart

2. George Baxter - Hazel - Don DeFore

3. Clara Randolph - The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - Mary Jane Croft

4. Tom Brewster - Sugarfoot- Will Hutchins

5. Shultzy- Love That Bob - Ann B. Davis

10. Ross Lane - The Patty Duke Show - Paul O'Keefe

11. Bradley Stevens - I Married Joan - Jim Backus

12. Edie Hart - Peter Gunn - Lola Albright

On 12/19/2018 at 5:51 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.

1.  Flora MacMichael

2.  George Baxter

3.  Clara Randolph

4.  Tom Brewster

5.  Shultzy

6.  Sock Miller

7.  Frank Smith

8.  Ichabod "Ikky" Mudd

9.  Captain Manzini

10.  Ross Lane

11.  Bradley Stevens

12.  Edie Hart

1. Flora MacMichael was Madge Evans - The Real McCoys

6. Sock Miller was Jackie Cooper - The People's Choice

There are 3 left, 7,8,9, wish someone else would finish it up

You got your Madges mixed up, Lavender.  Flora MacMichael was played by Madge Blake.

Here are some hints for the others.

#7 probably should have been listed as Officer Frank Smith,  The character was on a series for several years, but later was replaced by a character named Bill Gannon.

#8 "Ikky" Mudd helped a certain Captain round up bad guys.  They also had help from kids all around the country who were members of the Captain's Secret Squadron and thus had secret decoder rings that they could get through the show's sponsor, Ovaltine.

#9 Captain Manzini, or is it Mancini, was a character on a show that featured Jerry Van Dyke.  The actor who played the captain also did a series of commercials for Doritos.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:54 AM, MilesArcher said:

You got your Madges mixed up, Lavender.  Flora MacMichael was played by Madge Blake.

Here are some hints for the others.

#7 probably should have been listed as Officer Frank Smith,  The character was on a series for several years, but later was replaced by a character named Bill Gannon.

#8 "Ikky" Mudd helped a certain Captain round up bad guys.  They also had help from kids all around the country who were members of the Captain's Secret Squadron and thus had secret decoder rings that they could get through the show's sponsor, Ovaltine.

#9 Captain Manzini, or is it Mancini, was a character on a show that featured Jerry Van Dyke.  The actor who played the captain also did a series of commercials for Doritos.

Finishing this one up

7. Frank Smith Ben Alexander played him on Dragnet

8. Ikky Mudd was played by Sid Melton on Captain Midnight

9. Captain Manzini was played by Avery Schreiber on My Mother The Car

Thanks, Lavender.  You got them all.  I can't believes that no one else responded.  I guess that means that either we are the only ones on these boards old enough to remember these shows, which I doubt, or others don't want to answer because it might reveal their approximate ages.  All they have to say is what I have said many times.  I'm not that old.  I heard about these shows from my parents and grandparents.  Yeah, that'll work.

Nice work, Lavender.  The thread is now all yours.   

• Haha 2

Let's try this again. Here's a list of the character names, need the actor or actress and the tv show title.

1. Harvey Griffin

2. Myrna Gibbons

3. Kelly Gregg

4. Peter Sands

5. Peggy Fair

6. White Fang/Black Tooth ( there were 2 actors who played both characters, it's the one from 1965-1967 I'm asking about)

7. Cinnamon Carter

8. Hannah Cord

9. Tod Stiles

10. Det. Adam Flint

Here are a few of the tougher ones.

#1  Harvey Griffin - Howard Smith - "Hazel"  Don't confuse him with newsman Howard K. Smith

#2  Myrna Gibbons - Rose Marie - "The Doris Day Show"

#6  White Fang/Black Tooth - 1965-1967.  The characters were played by an actor named Frank Nastasi on "The Soupy Sales Show".  I knew the show but I had to look up the actor's name.  Earlier, from 1959 to 1962, the part was played by Clyde Adler.

#8  Hannah Cord - Ruth Warrick - "Peyton Place".  You may remember her from "Citizen Kane".

#10  Det. Adam Flint - Paul Burke - "The Naked City"

Maybe someone else can finish the list.

• Like 1

4 and 7 are now left to answer

4. Peter Sands - There's a typewriter over the credits and here's another hint, the star was a famous film actress before starring in this comedy.

7. Cinnamon Carter ( I thought this one was going to be answered with the first batch, every baby boomer watched this show at one time or another) movies made based on the series, a recognizable theme song, and here's another hint, a huge hit show on for 7 years!

Let's wrap this one up.

#4,  Peter Sands was played by Don Porter in the TV series "Private Secretary".  The show starred Ann Sothern.  When it went into syndicated reruns, it was called "Susie", after her character.

#7.  Cinnamon Carter was played by Barbara Bain in "Mission Impossible".  She was the only female member of the IMF.  In real life, she was married to fellow cast member Martin Landau.

Thanks, Lav.

A veteran actor was the first choice of producers for the lead in "The Untouchables" TV series, but he turned it down and Robert Stack was given the part.  Not long after, that same veteran actor was given the lead role in what would become a long running sitcom.  However, this time he wasn't the producer's first choice.  The first choice was another veteran actor who turned it down to concentrate on his movie career.  A few years later, this other veteran actor would be starring in a sitcom.  Can you name the two actors involved, as well as their TV sitcoms? 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.

A veteran actor was the first choice of producers for the lead in "The Untouchables" TV series, but he turned it down and Robert Stack was given the part.  Not long after, that same veteran actor was given the lead role in what would become a long running sitcom.  However, this time he wasn't the producer's first choice.  The first choice was another veteran actor who turned it down to concentrate on his movie career.  A few years later, this other veteran actor would be starring in a sitcom.  Can you name the two actors involved, as well as their TV sitcoms? 

Fred MacMurray was offered the role of Elliot Ness on The Untouchables but turned it down. He of course starred in My Three  Sons however, Eddie Albert was offered the role of the father first in My Three Sons but turned it down. Years later he starred in Green Acres

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.

"The Untouchables" is my favorite TV show and Robert Stack is my favorite TV actor.

So I'm very glad that  Van Johnson's wife thought that Desi and Lucy didn't offer big screen star Van enough money to be Eliot Ness on the little screen.

At the time Van's movie career was floundering and the Arnaz's were trying to do him a favor. Ironically  Van's wife did me and all television fans in 1959 a favor.

Miles, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I had to just write about how glad I was that we didn't get stuck with Van Johnson.

For the rest of the question, I pass and I'm sure Lav knows the answer and can take the thread.

BTW--" The Untouchables " pilot was really a two-parter on the Desilu Playhouse. And then it became a movie. It is part of the first season, first volume of the DVD of "The Untouchables".

20 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

"The Untouchables" is my favorite TV show and Robert Stack is my favorite TV actor.

So I'm very glad that  Van Johnson's wife thought that Desi and Lucy didn't offer big screen star Van enough money to be Eliot Ness on the little screen.

At the time Van's movie career was floundering and the Arnaz's were trying to do him a favor. Ironically  Van's wife did me and all television fans in 1959 a favor.

Miles, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I had to just write about how glad I was that we didn't get stuck with Van Johnson.

For the rest of the question, I pass and I'm sure Lav knows the answer and can take the thread.

BTW--" The Untouchables " pilot was really a two-parter on the Desilu Playhouse. And then it became a movie. It is part of the first season, first volume of the DVD of "The Untouchables".

The other Van, Van Heflin was also offered the role of Elliot Ness but also turned it down. Since Miles specifically mentioned that the actor offered the role of Ness then became the star of a long running sit-com, obviously it would be Fred, not the 2 Van's. I also love Robert Stack, great voice and soooooooo handsome. I like Van Johnson, but I think he would have been a bore in the role of Elliot. Heflin would have been interesting, but he didn't have the sex appeal of Stack. Robert Stack was the best choice and I'm also glad the others turned down the role. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The other Van, Van Heflin was also offered the role of Elliot Ness but also turned it down. Since Miles specifically mentioned that the actor offered the role of Ness then became the star of a long running sit-com, obviously it would be Fred, not the 2 Van's. I also love Robert Stack, great voice and soooooooo handsome. I like Van Johnson, but I think he would have been a bore in the role of Elliot. Heflin would have been interesting, but he didn't have the sex appeal of Stack. Robert Stack was the best choice and I'm also glad the others turned down the role. 

I was going through the internet the other day and I found this biography of Van Johnson on Google. They said it was the first one written that was complete. I read some of it and you can see it on Google read. They blocked out the most interesting pages but you can read about his estrangement from Keenan Wynn's ex-wife and his health problems as he was trying to return to the musical stage.

I'm not a big fan of Van Johnson's, but he certainly was in the middle of the high points and low points at MGM.

Lav,  I knew you knew the answer! LOL

• Thanks 1

Yes, Lavenderblue is correct, and thank you to Princess for her input.  If Fred MacMurray had landed the role of Eliot Ness, he probably would not have been in "The Apartment" and probably not in several Disney movies of the early sixties.  And yes, Eddie Albert was the first choice for the father on "My Three Sons".  

Fred MacMurray had a unique deal on "My Three Sons".  All of his scenes for the season would be shot before the rest of the shows were filmed.  That meant that the scripts all had to be completed before shooting began and any scenes where Fred interacted with other cast members or guest stars would be shot then.  Later those guest stars were brought back to finish filming their episode.  The boys playing the sons were given haircuts every week so that there would be no continuity problems.  This arrangement gave Fred time to do other projects, like those Disney movies. 

Excellent answer as always, Lavender.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles and Princess :)

This singer and actor had his own tv show in the 1950's. The title of the show had the sponsor's product in the title. He had many hit singles in that time period. Who he and the tv show's title and a couple of his hit songs ????? He also appeared in films, extra credit for naming a couple of those films.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles and Princess :)

This singer and actor had his own tv show in the 1950's. The title of the show had the sponsor's product in the title. He had many hit singles in that time period. Who he and the tv show's title and a couple of his hit songs ????? He also appeared in films, extra credit for naming a couple of those films.

"Coke Time with Eddie Fisher"

Eddie is one of my favorite singers. And the song that I like best that they played on the radio was from "Damn Yankees" --"You Gotta Have Heart". His other big hit was  " I Need You Now ". Those two were my favorites but Eddie had a lot of hit records. 

And he was married to two big Hollywood movie stars.

His first wife was Debbie Reynolds and they co-starred in the movie, " A Bundle of Joy ".

His second wife was Elizabeth Taylor and he appeared in her movie " Butterfield 8".

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

"Coke Time with Eddie Fisher"

Eddie is one of my favorite singers. And the song that I like best that they played on the radio was from "Damn Yankees" --"You Gotta Have Heart". His other big hit was  " I Need You Now ". Those two were my favorites but Eddie had a lot of hit records. 

And he was married to two big Hollywood movie stars.

His first wife was Debbie Reynolds and they co-starred in the movie, " A Bundle of Joy ".

His second wife was Elizabeth Taylor and he appeared in her movie " Butterfield 8".

Correctamundo Princess. It was Eddie Fisher and the 1953 tv show was Coke Time. My mother loved Eddie and we played his record Oh My Pa, Pa. and Dungaree Doll. My next clue would have been about Debbie and Liz, you saved me the effort of tying that clue LOL. He had a great voice, too bad his career was ruined when he strayed.

Glad I picked a performer to ask about that you loved. Great job, your thread Princess :) 

• Thanks 1