Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Good going Miles. I thought this was a bit of interesting trivia. Yes the jingle was to Chock Full O' Nuts , Rockefeller's name had to be removed and it was replaced with Millionaires.

Really miss the +Chock Full O' Nuts shops around Manhattan. Delicious coffee and the aroma was Heavenly.

I'd bet collectively we must have heard that commercial a Million times. LOL

Your thread :)

Here is the Chock Full O'Nuts jingle.

Yes, jingles sure stay with us. I'll bet everyone knows all the words to the song that starts "Oh, I'd love to be an Oscar Meyer ****".

If you've finished singing, advertising slogans have had a lasting impression on us as well. Here are a series of them. Can you identify the product or company they each represent?

1. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

2. Where's the beef?

3. I'd rather fight than switch

4. My wife . . . I think I'll keep her!

5. The best part of waking up

6. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman

7. Does she or doesn't she?

8. Outstanding! And they are mild.

9. Ring around the collar! Ring around the collar!

10. It's not nice to fool Mother Nature

11. Helps build strong bodies 12 ways

12. Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is!

These should be very easy for those of you of, shall we say, a certain age.

1 Timex

11 Wonder Bread

12 Alka Seltzer

7 Clairol

3 Lucky Strike

8 Pall Mall

Edited by: finance on Mar 5, 2014 12:13 PM

Edited by: finance on Mar 5, 2014 12:15 PM

Number 3 is not Lucky Strike.

Lucky Strike's slogan was L.S.M.F.T. Do you remember what that stood for?

The others that you named are correct. That leaves numbers 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10

Fi, why don't you list them in order? Most people would.

While I was composing my response to Finance, Lavender got the rest of them. By the way L.S.M.F.T. stood for "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco". I'll let Finance and Lavenderblue figure out who goes next.

OK, boycott's over. Name at least 5 brands of cigarettes that were advertised heavily in the '50s, which have been defunct for many years.

Oh come on. There were so many cigarette beands in '50s TV commercials. Many disappeared years ago. One was touted as having a ___________filter. Another brand claimed it was healthier than all the others.

Edited by: finance on Mar 6, 2014 3:45 PM

I've never been a smoker, and with the ban on advertising, I don't know how many of these brands are still around, but I do remember ads for :

Raleigh (with the coupons)

Philip Morris

Old Gold

Kool

Pall Mall

Tareyton

Chesterfield

Lucky Strike

Winston

Salem

Parliament

Winston

I think Camel and Marlboro are still around. Some of the others may be. They may advertise in Europe. Here's an interesting video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kESHAcvAaEQ

There was a hit song called "Smoke That Cigarette" in the late forties. Here is an audio clip.

Does anyone remember Spud cigarettes? I sure don't.

The only one that I'm certain no longer exists is Old Gold. How about another one also starting with an "O".? or one that sounds as if its named after a monarch? or one reminiscent of Superman?

They all endorsed cigarettes, whether thru an ad or by having them hang out of their mouths on the small and large screen. too bad we can't go back and undo all that damage.

It's your thread Mr. Miles

Here's one for all of the baby boomers here. The last segment of "The Mickey Mouse Club" was the Mousekartoon. The mouseketeers that introduced it sang a little ditty followed by a sort of incantation. Do you remember all of the words to both?

Whoa! Let's get some more of these brands. I'm the questioner here. I was thinking of King Sano, Doral, True, L&M, Herbert Tareyton, and Viceroy. Some or all of these are seriously defunct.

I'm not talking about Tareyton. There was a brand called HERBERT Tareyton, which was distinct from Tareyton..

Edited by: finance on Mar 8, 2014 12:18 PM

Ok but in the meantime True and L&M are still sold. You really want to go on with this question? whoever heard of those brands anyway?Miles gave you a ton of brands already, not all that interesting at this point to be honest.