Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

On 9/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, MilesArcher said:

OK, Lavender.  I made a mistake on Luke McCoy's number, but I believe you made one on #4.  The show was "Family" and Meredith Baxter played the oldest daughter of the Lawrence family, who was a divorcee named Nancy Maitland, so her character was Nancy Lawrence Maitland, not Nancy Maitland Lawrence.  Meredith Baxter was the daughter of Whitney Blake, who was Dorothy Baxter in #1.  Confusing?

6. Det. Les Clark - Regis Toomey on "Burke's Law"

14. Andamo - Ross Martin on "Mr. Lucky"

19.  Linda Williams - Little Angela Cartwright on "The Danny Thomas Show"

20. Dan Farrell - Robert Stack on "The Name Of The Game"

Miles, the thread is yours

Let's test your memory of hit songs.  Here is a list of songs that were on the charts from 1956 to 1961.  All you have to do is name the artist or group that had the big hit record with that song that year.  Remember that some songs were done later by other artists, but we are looking for the original big hit.  Some will be easy, some not so much.  See how many you can get without looking them up.  If you don't remember them, ask an old person.  That's what I did in constructing this list.

1. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?

2. My Prayer

3. Hot Diggity

4. Singing The Blues

5. Love Letters In The Sand

6. Bye Bye Love

7. Party Doll

8. You Send Me

9. Witch Doctor

10. Catch A Falling Star

11. Tequila

12. It's Only Make Believe

13. Venus

14. Put You Head On My Shoulder

15. Charlie Brown

16. A Teenager In Love

17. Running Bear

18. I'm Sorry

19. Everybody's Somebody's Fool

20. Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

21. Crying

22. Take Good Care Of My Baby

23. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?

24. Bristol Stomp

1.  Frankie Lymon

5.  Pat Boone

6.  Everly Bros.

8.  Sam Cooke

13. Frankie Avalon

14. Paul Anka

16. Dion and the Belmonts

18. Brenda Lee

21. Roy Orbison

23. The Shirelles

We're the about the same age, so there LOL- didn't need to look up or ask anyone and coulda done so much more! LOL I'll leave 3 and 10 for Princess to do. Finance would have liked this question. 

Has everyone stopped humming yet?  So far all answers are correct.  Amazingly, after sixty years or so, the names come quickly to mind.  Well, maybe not #7, #9, and #17.  We used to joke that "Running Bear" was the theme song of streakers.  Any more guesses?

On 9/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, MilesArcher said:

Has everyone stopped humming yet?  So far all answers are correct.  Amazingly, after sixty years or so, the names come quickly to mind.  Well, maybe not #7, #9, and #17.  We used to joke that "Running Bear" was the theme song of streakers.  Any more guesses?

In the interest of freeing up the thread

7. Party Doll- Buddy Knox

9. Witch Dr.- David Seville ( and the Chipmunks)

17. Running Bear - Johnny Preston ( had to look that up)

• Like 1

Very good!  We have them all now.  Here is Johnny Preston with "Running Bear".

Here's something that you probably didn't know.  "Running Bear" was written by J.P. Richardson, who also did some of the background vocals.  He was also known as "The Big Bopper" and, of course, he died in that famous plane crash with Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.

Nice work, ladies.  Lavender got the most, so she gets to go next.

TV friends:  Identify the television show where these characters were friends of a regular on the show (not necessarily the star..).  Some were around for every episode, and some were on just a few.  For most of the tv geniuses here, the majority will be pretty easy, but there are a few toughies:

1. Porky Brockway
2. Margaret Hoover
3. Vi Praskins
4. Iola Boylen
5. Harvey Helm
6. Rollo Larson
7. Larue Wilson
8. Judy Bessemer
9. Loretta Haggers
10. Jenny Piccolo
11. Vivien Cavender
12. Susie Alborn
13. Monroe Ficus
14. Addy Wilson
15. Skippy Handleman
16. Wally Plumstead
17. Blanche Morton
18. Rosie Hammaker
19. Tommy Anderson
20. Jim Gillis
21. Norman Tinker
22. Johnny Paul Jason
23. Kippy Watkins
24. Richard Rickover
25. Myrna Gibbons

7.  LaRue Wilson was on "Gidget"

10.  Jenny Piccolo was on "Happy Days" and was friends with Joannie.  Jenny was annoying...

13.  Monroe was on "Too Close For Comfort" 

15.  Skippy was on "Family Ties" and had a crush on Mallory

• Like 1

1. Porky Brockway - Jeff's best friend on Lassie

4. Iola Bolen was Mama's best friend on Mama's Family

5. Harvey Helm - was King Donovan Bob Cummings best friend on the Bob Cummings Show or Love That Bob

9. Loretta Haggers - Mary Hartman's best friend - Mary Kay Place on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

17. Blanche Morton was Bea Benaderet Gracie's best friend on Burns and Allen

24. Richard Rickover was Beaver's best friend on Leave It To Beaver

• Like 1

Here's a few more:

2.  Margaret Hoover was Emily's friend on "The Bob Newhart Show".  She was played by Patricia Smith.

3.  Vi Praskins was Susie McNamara's friend on "Private Secretary".  She was played by Ann Tyrrell.

11.  Vivien Cavender became Vivien Cavender Harmon on "Maude".  She was played by Rue McClanahan.

16.  Wally Plumstead was the friend of David and Ricky on "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet".  He was played by Skip Young, whose real last name was Plumstead.

20.  Jim Gillis was a friend and neighbor on "The Life Of Riley".  He was played by Tom D'Andrea.

22.  Johnny Paul Jason was Opie's friend on "The Andy Griffith Show".  He was played by Richard Keith, who also played Little Ricky on "I Love Lucy".

• Like 1

Here's what's left: (all were sit coms)

6. Rollo Larson

8. Judy Bessemer

12. Susie Alborn

14. Addy Wilson

18. Rosie Hammaker
19. Tommy Anderson

21. Norman Tinker

23. Kippy Watkins

25. Myrna Gibbons

6.  Rollo Larson was Fred Sanford's friend on "Sanford And Son".  He was played by Nathaniel Taylor.

14.  Addy Wilson was Nell's friend on "Gimmee A Break"  She was played by Telma Hopkins from "Tony Orlando And Dawn".

18.  Rosie Hammaker was Hazel's friend on "Hazel".  She was played by Maudie Prickett, who specialized in playing nosy neighbors and busybodies.

19.  Tommy Anderson was the friend of Dennis on "Dennis The Menace".  He was played by young Billy Booth.

• Like 1

That's all!

MilesArcher..10

lavenderblue..8 (and a + for getting what I was sure were the two toughest, 21 and 25)

Peebs...5

Bagelonaplate...2

Thanks for playing everyone!  MilesArcher gets the thread, and the official 'friends' congratulations:  Related image

• Like 1

That was a good challenge, shutoo!

Congratulations to Miles Archer and looking forward to his question.

I've been away for awhile and am wondering if the  pre-1980 requirement for questions in this thread has been removed. I see that some of the TV series from the last challenge were from the 1980s (Too Close For Comfort, Family Ties, Mama's Family, Gimme A Break).

I was informed that this rule was established by the creator of this thread. Personally I think "pre-1980" is a rather arbitrary definition of "retro" and I think this requirement should be removed, especially since we have had a challenge outside this limitation.       

10 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I've been away for awhile and am wondering if the  pre-1980 requirement for questions in this thread has been removed. I see that some of the TV series from the last challenge were from the 1980s (Too Close For Comfort, Family Ties, Mama's Family, Gimme A Break).

I was informed that this rule was established by the creator of this thread. Personally I think "pre-1980" is a rather arbitrary definition of "retro" and I think this requirement should be removed, especially since we have had a challenge outside this limitation.       

if you go to page 1 that's where you'll find the OP's original posting of the thread. the regulars should take a vote about changing the thread. If it's changed that might lead to others being changed on a whim and that's not right. Where do you think the cut-off should be for the Retro thread? I disagree that pre-1980 is arbitrary, and it's what the OP wanted. You could start another thread for 1980 trivia and above. I don't consider 1990 and above as retro, so I think if it's decided to change the thread then 1989 should be the cut-off. I guess it's a matter of age and opinion, however this thread has worked for years the way it is and I vote to leave it as is.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

if you go to page 1 that's where you'll find the OP's original posting of the thread. the regulars should take a vote about changing the thread. If it's changed that might lead to others being changed on a whim and that's not right. Where do you think the cut-off should be for the Retro thread? I disagree that pre-1980 is arbitrary, and it's what the OP wanted. You could start another thread for 1980 trivia and above. I don't consider 1990 and above as retro, so I think if it's decided to change the thread then 1989 should be the cut-off. I guess it's a matter of age and opinion, however this thread has worked for years the way it is and I vote to leave it as is.

I don't think this particular Retro thread  should be altered  in any way.

It's a matter of relating to the classic era of movies, Broadway, radio and of original pioneering TV stars and TV programs, so you're going to have to cut off someplace around 1970 to 1980.

That's what this thread is all about in terms of retro, classic pop art that was associated with those movies or Broadway, radio and television shows of that era.

I would have to agree with Lav, if you want something that is later on down the pike with a different classification catering to a generation that has nothing to do with classic pop culture, then that would call for another thread.

I've been on this website for 10 years and I have had no problems creating new threads when I wanted to see something different.

Creativity is much appreciated here.

*There are a few others who participate in this thread, and I would invite them to give their opinions as well.

• Like 2