Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Recommended Posts

I agree with Lavender and Princess. We don't need to alter this thread.  There is plenty of material to choose from when looking back to the fifties, sixties, and seventies.  I realized that some of the names from the last question were from the eighties, but most were from an earlier period, so I didn't bring it up.  When the OP started this thread, it was like a breath of fresh air to some of us veteran posters.  There are so many endless, repetitive, and mindless list threads that it's hard to even find the threads where you actually have to think in asking and answering questions that others of your generation have posted.  Maybe those of us who participate in the Retro thread are a bit older than some other posters, but we appreciate the chance to test our memories of our formative years.  Plus, there are definite generation gap questions when it comes to nostalgia.  The other night on "Jeopardy", a clue asked which western star rode a horse called "Buttermilk".  One contestant guessed Annie Oakley while the other two were silent.  I was actually yelling "Dale Evans!" at the TV.  I asked that question to a group of seniors and they all said "Dale Evans" in unison.   

If someone wants to start a separate nostalgia thread for the eighties, nineties, and beyond, they are certainly welcome to do so.  

I'll be back later with my next question.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

if you go to page 1 that's where you'll find the OP's original posting of the thread. the regulars should take a vote about changing the thread. If it's changed that might lead to others being changed on a whim and that's not right. Where do you think the cut-off should be for the Retro thread? I disagree that pre-1980 is arbitrary, and it's what the OP wanted. You could start another thread for 1980 trivia and above. I don't consider 1990 and above as retro, so I think if it's decided to change the thread then 1989 should be the cut-off. I guess it's a matter of age and opinion, however this thread has worked for years the way it is and I vote to leave it as is.

Yes, I know what is stated on page 1 and I am all for following the rules of a particular game, but the rules should be enforced for everyone.

No one challenged that multiple post-1980s shows were part of the last question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

LOL Miles, I was yelling Dale Evans too the other night LOL I shook my head in disbelief when Annie Oakley was answered.

Buttermilk was always my favorite horse until I saw Mister Ed. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Yes, I know what is stated on page 1 and I am all for following the rules of a particular game, but the rules should be enforced for everyone.

No one challenged that multiple post-1980s shows were paer of the last question.

So What? because a few of the questions posted were from the 1980'a how does warrant changing the Retro thread. Leave it ALONE. Start another thread if you want. Read Miles and Princesses and my post to you again. You have no right to change someone's thread. You started a thread which by the way was at the bottom of page 2 a few weeks ago with little participation,. I bumped it up asking for more participation for YOUR thread. How would you like it if another poster wanted to change your thread?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

So What? because a few of the questions posted were from the 1980'a how does warrant changing the Retro thread. Leave it ALONE. Start another thread if you want. Read Miles and Princesses and my post to you again. You have no right to change someone's thread. You started a thread which by the way was at the bottom of page 2 a few weeks ago with little participation,. I bumped it up asking for more participation for YOUR thread. How would you like it if another poster wanted to change your thread?

Lavenderblue, you're not following what I'm trying to say.

I'm not arguing that the thread should be changed.

It's just that I was reprimanded for including one 1980s show in a list-type question in the past, but the most recent challenge included several 1980s shows and no one seemed cared.

You're one of my favorite posters here so I don't want to argue with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Lavenderblue, you're not following what I'm trying to say.

I'm not arguing that the thread should be changed.

It's just that I was reprimanded for including one 1980s show in a list-type question in the past, but the most recent challenge included several 1980s shows and no one seemed cared.

You're one of my favorite posters here so I don't want to argue with you.

Thanks for the compliment.

 If this is sour grapes that I gave you a heads up, I certainly did not "reprimand" you, I let you know that the rules of the thread were on page 1 of the thread since you were not aware that Retro trivia has a cut off of 1979.  shutoo was not given the same heads up, to be honest I didn't even notice all the names posted by shutoo, since I try not to answer more than a certain amount to give others a chance to play. I think you're being a little overly sensitive. You did write in your first post that the cut-off should be changed in this thread, that is why you're getting this reaction. The next time any poster posts any question in Retro that exceeds 1979, I promise we'll let them know, and btw, you can let them know too, OK. In the meantime, Princess, Miles and I have a total of over 66,000 plus posts and we've each been here over 10 years playing trivia, I think we know what we're doing.

You seem like a nice, knowledgeable poster and look forward to you posting here and wish you would post more often than you do. Hope this straightens this out and please don't let your feelings be hurt, it was not anything personal against you. 

edited by me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving on.

Here are photos of actors and actresses who were regulars or had recurring roles in vintage TV shows.  Some were on more than one show.  Can you identify them, the character that they played, and the show where they played that character?  If they were in more than one show, only one role and show will suffice.

1. Image result for mary jane croft 

2. Image result for don defore  ozzie and harriet 

3.  Related image 

4. image.jpeg.3c0344d34d9fb7dc5ce1ddf5a15e1957.jpeg 

5. Image result for abby dalton  hennessey 

6. Related image 

7. Related image 

8. Image result for larry keating  burns and allen 

9. Image result for joe besser  joey bishop show 

10. Image result for bob hastings  mchale's navy 

11. Related image 

12. Related image 

13. Image result for rusty stevens  leave it to beaver 

14.  Related image 

15. Two folks. Related image   

 

They all appeared in pre-1980 sitcoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.  Don DeFore played George Baxter on "Hazel"

13.  Robert "Rusty" Stevens played Larry Mondello on "Leave it To Beaver"  

14.  Ted Bessell played Donald Hollinger on "That Girl"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Mary Jane Croft- Clara Randolph on Ozzie and Harriet, also Mary Jane on Here's Lucy and The Lucy Show and Betty Ramsey on I Love Lucy

5. Abby Dalton - Hennessey and Ellie on The Joey Bishop Show

6. Carol Hines played Carol on Mr. Ed

7. Bobby Buntrock - Harold on Hazel

8. Larry Keating - Harry Morton - Burns and Allen

9. Joe Besser- The Joey Bishop Show and Stinky on Abbott and Costello (more memorable on A&C)

15. Pat Carroll and Sid Melton as Bunny and Charlie on Make Room For Daddy ( Danny Thomas Show)

Yikes Miles, could have done them all! LOL I did and took a few away. Wish these shows were shown in re-run but none of them are (except for Beaver)  at least where I live. Miss them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All correct so far.  Don DeFore also played neighbor Thorny Thornberry on "Ozzie And Harriet".  Joe Besser was one of the Three Stooges at one time, replacing Shemp, who had died.  When the Stooges were to go on a personal appearance tour, his wife was very ill, so he dropped out of the group and was replaced by Curly Joe DeRita.  

A few hints:  #3 played the girlfriend of the star, #4 played the daughter of the star, #10 and #11 were in service comedies, and #12 was a snooty rich guy in their respective sitcoms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3) Pat Breslin, Amanda Miller, "The People's Choice"

11) Maurice Gosfield, Duane Doberman, " Sgt Bilko/ the Phil Silvers show"

12) Steven Franken, Chatsworth Osborne Jr, " Dobie Gillis"

*Eight) Larry Keating, Roger Addison, " Mister Ed"

4) Lugene Sanders, Babs Riley, "The Life of Riley"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Lugene Sanders, she was Babs Riley William Bendix's daughter on Life of Riley

I already did her, but I didn't watch "Hennessy" see you can do that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I already did her, but I didn't watch "Hennessy" see you can do that one.

I already did Abby Dalton in Hennessy and Joey Bishop's show, so I don't understand. I already did Larry Keating in Burns and Allen, he was Blanche's husband Harry Morton. LOL but you can have him in Mr.Ed! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good everyone.  We have them all now.  Isn't it amazing that all of these shows were made more than fifty years ago, some more than sixty years ago, and many have not been shown in reruns for many years, yet we still instantly remember the shows and characters as soon as we see their faces?  I guess that since we saw these folks in our homes every week for a long period, it's almost like they were a part of our lives.  By the way, if you have COZI-TV or ANT-TV (Antenna-TV) in your area, Some of these shows are still shown.  "The Joey Bishop Show" is on ANT-TV weekday mornings around 7:30.  ANT-TV also carries "Hazel"on Saturday mornings around 8:00.  I also have seen "McHale's Navy" on one of them.  

Here's Joe Besser with Bud and Lou:

 

 

 

Thanks to all who participated.  Lavender got the most so she gets the next turn.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

 

I already did Abby Dalton in Hennessy and Joey Bishop's show, so I don't understand. I already did Larry Keating in Burns and Allen, he was Blanche's husband Harry Morton. LOL but you can have him in Mr.Ed! :D

I've got all the DVDs for "Mister Ed". So for me Larry Keating will always be Roger Addison, his last TV role before he passed away.

I think Larry was the 4th and final actor to play Blanche Morton's husband. I've got more DVDs of Fred Clark playing the role so that's kind of how I see him.

But Gracie was my favorite show of the two. And it doesn't really matter because George Burns owned both shows anyway. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, MilesArcher said:

Very good everyone.  We have them all now.  Isn't it amazing that all of these shows were made more than fifty years ago, some more than sixty years ago, and many have not been shown in reruns for many years, yet we still instantly remember the shows and characters as soon as we see their faces?  I guess that since we saw these folks in our homes every week for a long period, it's almost like they were a part of our lives.  By the way, if you have COZI-TV or ANT-TV (Antenna-TV) in your area, Some of these shows are still shown.  "The Joey Bishop Show" is on ANT-TV weekday mornings around 7:30.  ANT-TV also carries "Hazel"on Saturday mornings around 8:00.  I also have seen "McHale's Navy" on one of them.  

Here's Joe Besser with Bud and Lou:

 

 

 

Thanks to all who participated.  Lavender got the most so she gets the next turn.

Thanks Miles. They took Decades, Antenna, Get-tv, Cozi away from the market where I am!!!! Only Me-tv remains. I have made countless phone calls to try to get the stations back. Really annoyed about it, considering how much Spectrum costs. To top it off, Spectrum took TCM on Demand away TOO!

next

Two acclaimed golden age actors in films were regular cast members on two different popular classic shows, both playing very similar roles on the tv shows. The 2 actors, the 2 tv shows and at least 1 film each was famous for ??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, Princess of Tap said:

There are a few others who participate in this thread, and I would invite them to give their opinions as well.

Haven't been around for a few days...surprised to see what a commotion a few questions raised. To be honest, I don't think I ever read the rules, and didn't know there was a timeline that defined 'retro' for the thread.  Seems like a 'shrug' to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shutoo, This has been resolved, would like to continue with the thread but once and for all, the retro thread is anything pre-1980. Rules for any thread are on page 1., that's when the OP posts how they want the thread to go. Bagels was bothered that no one corrected you when you posted post 1980 names when he was given a heads up when he did the same. This thread is not going to be changed, if anyone wants to post a thread involving post 1980 trivia, they are welcome to do so. Both you and Bagels are great posters, this is not a biggie, let's just continue with the thread as it was written by the OP.

On 10/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles. They took Decades, Antenna, Get-tv, Cozi away from the market where I am!!!! Only Me-tv remains. I have made countless phone calls to try to get the stations back. Really annoyed about it, considering how much Spectrum costs. To top it off, Spectrum took TCM on Demand away TOO!

next

Two acclaimed golden age actors in films were regular cast members on two different popular classic shows, both playing very similar roles on the tv shows. The 2 actors, the 2 tv shows and at least 1 film each was famous for ??????

clue 2

 

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Both actors had been Oscar nominated

Both tv shows were on the air during the same years, but different networks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Jaffe as Dr. Zorba on Ben Casey; Oscar nominated for The Asphalt Jungle

Raymond Massey as Dr. Gillespie on Dr. Kildare; Oscar nominated for Abe Lincoln in Illinois

both series ran 61-66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shutoo said:

Sam Jaffe as Dr. Zorba on Ben Casey; Oscar nominated for The Asphalt Jungle

Raymond Massey as Dr. Gillespie on Dr. Kildare; Oscar nominated for Abe Lincoln in Illinois

both series ran 61-66

Correct shutoo, good work, your thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...