Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Recommended Posts

A famous actor who had a certain reputation had his own tv show in the classic time period. On the show, to continue this myth that he had, he substituted something that he was known for with something a lot less innocuous. Actor and what did he substitute and  with what ????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He substituted one thing for another, both looked the same, had the same color.

I first thought of Jackie Gleason but this also could be Dean Martin.

They both had the reputation of being big drinkers.

Since Dean was the more famous actor, I'll go with him.

They said Dean drank apple juice on-air and not whiskey.

(And I think Jackie actually drank coffee laced with scotch or Brandy or something. I don't know because I was too busy thinking about the June Taylor Dancers. LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I first thought of Jackie Gleason but this also could be Dean Martin.

They both had the reputation of being big drinkers.

Since Dean was the more famous actor, I'll go with him.

They said Dean drank apple juice on-air and not whiskey.

(And I think Jackie actually drank coffee laced with scotch or Brandy or something. I don't know because I was too busy thinking about the June Taylor Dancers. LOL)

Yes, I was thinking about Dean and his Martinelli Apple Juice as a substitution for his whiskey. He always had a glass of apple juice near him when doing the show to keep up his silly rep of being a heavy drinker. Good thinking Princess, your thread :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next: Pop singers on classic TV music-variety shows

 When you identify the singer, also name a show he/ she appeared on.

1) This singer got a big break with Tex Beneke's Orchestra and an even bigger one on a late night talk show.

2) This singer was a Miss America runner-up who was featured on a popular morning show.

3) This singer was mentored by a MGM choral director, started singing in the MGM chorus and ended up on a number of TV music- variety shows.

4) Mentored by Mitch Miller and discovered by a TV variety host, this singer was a regular on a TV music-variety show which featured the latest pop hits.

5) This singer was famously or  infamously fired on -air by the same TV music- variety host who had discovered him.

6) This singer had a famous country and western father-in-law, a lot of hit records and a TV show sponsored by an American car company.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4. Just a guess, lovely  Leslie Uggams was on Sing Along with Mitch and mentored by him and before that was on the Lawrence Welk Show

5. Sounds like Julius LaRosa -  he was on Arthur Godfrey's show until the so and so fired LaRosa

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Just a guess, lovely  Leslie Uggams was on Sing Along with Mitch and mentored by him and before that was on the Lawrence Welk Show

5. Sounds like Julius LaRosa -  he was on Arthur Godfrey's show until the so and so fired LaRosa

5 is correct.

4) 4 is not who I was thinking about.

 But I do remember that Mitch did some popular Tunes along with old favorites.  So Leslie could fit the bill here too.

So that leaves four more--

And they are all famous and well-known popular singers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3. Here's another guess, I remember reading that Kay Thompson who was a big wig at MGM worked with Andy Williams. 
also I don't know if Andy ever worked with Tex Beneke but he did sing on the Tonight Show starring Steve Alen, so I guess he could be the answer to #1 maybe. Either way, I know you love Andy so he's probably in there somewhere LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

3. Here's another guess, I remember reading that Kay Thompson who was a big wig at MGM worked with Andy Williams. 
also I donl' know if Andy ever worked with Tex Beneke but he did sing on the Tonight Show starring Steve Alen, so I guess he could be the answer to #1 maybe. Either way, I know you love Andy so he's probably in there somewhere LOL

Lav, it's so very sweet of you to remember my obsession with Andy.

And you are so very right, Kay Thompson was Andy's fairy godmother and apparently a whole lot more.LOL

Andy was certainly on Steve Allen's first Tonight Show but--

Hint#1-- One of his fellow singers on that show did work with Tex Beneke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

3. Here's another guess, I remember reading that Kay Thompson who was a big wig at MGM worked with Andy Williams. 
also I don't know if Andy ever worked with Tex Beneke but he did sing on the Tonight Show starring Steve Alen, so I guess he could be the answer to #1 maybe. Either way, I know you love Andy so he's probably in there somewhere LOL

 

On 12/13/2019 at 1:29 AM, MilesArcher said:

#1 might be Eydie Gorme.  She sang with Tex Beneke's band and she was featured on Steve Allen's late night show.

 

On 12/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, Princess of Tap said:

We still have 2 pop singers left.

Hint#2-- These two singers have both been in the public eye due to some of their political activities.

Update-- We still have to pop singers to identify here.

Hint#3-- Both have been political on the conservative side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

6. Pat Boone ? - Chevy sponsored Pat Boone Chevy Showroom and his father-in-law was Red Foley

Lav, with Pat, "April Love" Boone, you identified the most singers, 4.

With Miles coming in for honorable mention with 2.

And mentioning Red Foley and Christmas--

I can't help but think of that song that I used to love so much as a kid: " Here Comes Santa Claus ". Did you like it too?

Lav, You're Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Princess - yes I liked it but much more so I LOVED and asked my parents at the time for the Pat Boone record Love Letters In The Sand. I was crazy about that song when Pat sang it.  I was a very little girl at the time. I also have always loved Friendly Persuasion, sung by Pat.

next

After a hit film was released, a popular singer added lyrics to the theme song of the film. and recorded it. Song, film and the popular singer who wrote the song and recorded it. Extra for who wrote the theme song and another artist who recorded the song ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess - yes I liked it but much more so I LOVED and asked my parents at the time for the Pat Boone record Love Letters In The Sand. I was crazy about that song when Pat sang it.  I was a very little girl at the time. I also have always loved Friendly Persuasion, sung by Pat.

next

After a hit film was released, a popular singer added lyrics to the theme song of the film. and recorded it. Song, film and the popular singer who wrote the song and recorded it. Extra for who wrote the theme song and another artist who recorded the song ????

I took a lot of classical piano lessons when I was a kid. But instead of practicing Beethoven, I was usually playing Mancini.

One thing that Mancini did not write was the Theme from Exodus. I played that and I had a friend who wasn't a bad singer who used to sing along. Our parents were really nice and told us that we sounded good. LOL

Of course, I had the recording by Andy Williams and Exodus is the last song on the Moon River album on the first side.

Looking at that record, I was surprised to find out that Pat Boone had written those lyrics. So I suppose he also had a record out of the Theme from Exodus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I took a lot of classical piano lessons when I was a kid. But instead of practicing Beethoven, I was usually playing Mancini.

One thing that Mancini did not write was the Theme from Exodus. I played that and I had a friend who wasn't a bad singer who used to sing along. Our parents were really nice and told us that we sounded good. LOL

Of course, I had the recording by Andy Williams and Exodus is the last song on the Moon River album on the first side.

Looking at that record, I was surprised to find out that Pat Boone had written those lyrics. So I suppose he also had a record out of the Theme from Exodus.

Yes, Pat Boone wrote the lyrics to Exodus. He was always and still is a strong supporter of Israel. He recorded his song first, then Andy recorded the song. There have been many artists who have recorded Exodus ( This Land Is Mine). Ernest Gold wrote the theme music and won an Oscar for the theme to Exodus. Good work, your thread Princess. ps Wish TCM would show the film, it hasn't been on in years.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I took a lot of classical piano lessons when I was a kid. But instead of practicing Beethoven, I was usually playing Mancini.

One thing that Mancini did not write was the Theme from Exodus. I played that and I had a friend who wasn't a bad singer who used to sing along. Our parents were really nice and told us that we sounded good. LOL

Of course, I had the recording by Andy Williams and Exodus is the last song on the Moon River album on the first side.

Looking at that record, I was surprised to find out that Pat Boone had written those lyrics. So I suppose he also had a record out of the Theme from Exodus.

Princess, my response is above and it's your thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actor was in 2 hit  tv series in the 1950's and although he was in a short lived series in the 1960's he was nominated for Emmy's for his role. Actor and the 3 tv series???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be Richard Crenna?  In the 50's he was in "Our Miss Brooks" and "The Real McCoys" on TV.  After "The Real McCoys" ended in the sixties, he starred in a  drama series called "Slattery's People".  It was cancelled in it's second season.  The two hit movies would be "The Sand Pebbles" and "Wait Until Dark". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...