Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Richard Crenna?  In the 50's he was in "Our Miss Brooks" and "The Real McCoys" on TV.  After "The Real McCoys" ended in the sixties, he starred in a  drama series called "Slattery's People".  It was cancelled in it's second season.  The two hit movies would be "The Sand Pebbles" and "Wait Until Dark". 

That about covers  it Miles!  Yes Richard Crenna in Our Miss Brooks he's Walter Denton the awkward, older teen and Slattery's People. Wait Until Dark and the Sand Pebbles were the 2 films I was referring to. Good work, you're up buddy

Recently, while showing movies and their remakes, TCM aired a movie about a plane crash in a jungle setting and the passengers who survived.  Playing one of the passengers was a little boy who would later star in a well known family drama on TV that ran for years.  Can you name the movie, the little boy, and his later TV series? 

14 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Recently, while showing movies and their remakes, TCM aired a movie about a plane crash in a jungle setting and the passengers who survived.  Playing one of the passengers was a little boy who would later star in a well known family drama on TV that ran for years.  Can you name the movie, the little boy, and his later TV series. 

Looking at the drama clue, I immediately thought of Lassie because most of the kids of that era were in comedies.

I expected my grade school heartthrob Jeff Miller to be the answer because the actor who played him had such a tremendous filmography.

But much to my surprise a kindergarten-age actor named Jon Provost appeared in "Back from Eternity" with heavy weights like Robert Ryan and Anita Ekberg.

It looks like little Timmy had some real Hollywood experience before he had to star in that TV series looking for Lassie in the well.

Yes, it was little Jon Provost before he was Timmy on "Lassie". 

Jon Provost from Lassie in 1957 

The movie was a 1956 remake of a 1939 film called "Five Came Back" with Lucille Ball and Chester Morris.   Both movies were directed by John Farrow.   By the way, Princess, did you say that Anita Ekberg was a " heavyweight"?  Why, she was just a full-figured gal.

Princess, you get the next turn.  

• Haha 1

Thank you Princess.

Linda Darnell, who couldn’t have children, played a mother only once in a Hollywood movie, the epic FOREVER AMBER.  However, she played mothers in TV movies and shows, and once in an Italian film.  During the 1950s, two boy actors were featured in two films she starred in, although they didn’t play her sons.   Both boys would go on to fame playing sons in well-know 1950s family sitcoms.  

Who are the actors, in which movies were they featured with Darnell, and In what TV shows did they gain fame?

16 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Thank you Princess.

Linda Darnell, who couldn’t have children, played a mother only once in a Hollywood movie, the epic FOREVER AMBER.  However, she played mothers in TV movies and shows, and once in an Italian film.  During the 1950s, two boy actors were featured in two films she starred in, although they didn’t play her sons.   Both boys would go on to fame playing sons in well-know 1950s family sitcoms.  

Who are the actors, in which movies were they featured with Darnell, and In what TV shows did they gain fame?

Billy Gray was in The Guy Who Came Back with Linda- his tv show was Father Knows Best- Billy was Bud Anderson

Jerry Mathers was in This Is My Love with Linda - his tv show was Leave It To Beaver

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Billy Gray was in The Guy Who Came Back with Linda- his tv show was Father Knows Best- Billy was Bud Anderson

Jerry Mathers was in This Is My Love with Linda - his tv show was Leave It To Beaver

Lav, you got it right on a counts!  Great job!  Your turn.

Thanks Arturo  :)

next

These 2 actors worked together many times. They were in 3 full length  films together and a short documentary film and they both starred in a 1960's popular tv show.  Actors and the tv show and extra credit for the 3 full length films ??????

One of the actors hands can be seen at the end of each episode after the credits. It's the tv show the 2 actors were in together.

With that last clue, it must be "Dragnet", or at least the sixties version with Harry Morgan as Jack Webb's partner.  They had previously appeared in "Appointment With Danger" (1950), "Dark City" (1950). and "Pete Kelly's Blues" (1955).   They also appeared in a 1968 short documentary called "Star Spangles Salesman", where some celebrities try to sell U.S. Savings bonds.  Carol Burnett and the Three Stooges are among the celebs.  It was Jack Webb's hands that certified that "Dragnet" was a Mark VII Limited production.

That's correct Miles. jack Webb and Harry Morgan are the 2 actors. They were in 3 1950's films together. Harry and Jack starred in the reboot of Dragnet. I knew that last clues of Jack's hands with the hammer in his hand would do the trick! You get the extra credit for naming, Dark City, Appointment with Danger and Pete Kelly's Blues. Good work, your thread :)

A beautiful leading lady in films in the thirties and forties found her movie career coming to an end in the late forties.  She turned to television in the fifties and landed the role of a wife and mother on a popular western series.  She did sporadic TV work for about fifteen more years until her death.  Can you name this actress and her western series?

32 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

A beautiful leading lady in films in the thirties and forties found her movie career coming to an end in the late forties.  She turned to television in the fifties and landed the role of a wife and mother on a popular western series.  She did sporadic TV work for about fifteen more years until her death.  Can you name this actress and her western series?

My guess is this actress worked  when she felt like it because she was married to the head of a big Hollywood studio.

The beautiful Anita Louise graced our presence on classic TV as the mother and wife on "My Friend Flicka".

• Like 1

Very good, Princess.  It is indeed the beautiful Anita Louise.  She played the wife of Gene Evans and the mother of Johnny Washbrook on the 1950's series "My Friend Flicka".   Here she is with her TV family:

Autographed Photo of Anita Louise 

Left  to Right:  Anita, Johnny Washbrook, Flicka, Frank Ferguson, and Gene Evans. 

She also appeared in a movie with Shirley Temple called "The Little Princess", but much to our chagrin,  it was not about the Princess Of Tap.

Here she is with that other tap dancing princess.

Shirley Temple Anita Louise The Little Princess 563-12  

Princess, it's your turn next.

• Thanks 1

This performer was a pioneer with groundbreaking achievements in classic TV. He was never the star but he was featured in 3 classic TV series. One was so popular that the performer became an American TV favorite and was featured along with the cast on the cover of TV Guide.

But this performer's professional experience began a long time before the 1950s.

The performer appeared in genre Golden Era classics supporting big stars like Carole Lombard, Shirley Temple, and Cary Grant in the 1930s.

The star of the performer's last TV series was an extremely big movie star in the 1940s.

When you identify this trailblazing performer, also list their most popular classic TV series, one of their classic films and the Brownie points will go to whomever can name that big star from the 40s, mentioned above.

21 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This performer was a pioneer with groundbreaking achievements in classic TV. He was never the star but he was featured in 3 classic TV series. One was so popular that the performer became an American TV favorite and was featured along with the cast on the cover of TV Guide.

But this performer's professional experience began a long time before the 1950s.

The performer appeared in genre Golden Era classics supporting big stars like Carole Lombard, Shirley Temple, and Cary Grant in the 1930s.

The star of the performer's last TV series was an extremely big movie star in the 1940s.

When you identify this trailblazing performer, also list their most popular classic TV series, one of their classic films and the Brownie points will go to whomever can name that big star from the 40s, mentioned above.

Hint#1-- This performer had a contract with a major Hollywood studio in the 1930s.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1-- This performer had a contract with a major Hollywood studio in the 1930s.

We seemed to be stumped with this one. maybe something about the tv shows when and what type??

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

We seemed to be stumped with this one. maybe something about the tv shows when and what type??

The best clue I can give I'll repeat-- his participation in classic TV was groundbreaking.

That should put him in a class more or less all by himself.

And his groundbreaking role was in a sitcom.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Originally the first names that came to mind immediately were William Frawley and William Demarest. Demarest was in a film with Grant, a film with Lombard and with Temple. I'll go with my original feeling that it's William Demarest, his famous show was of course My Three Sons, one of his famous films was  The Lady Eve another The Jolson Story and for the bonus Fred MacMurray was the star of My Three Sons and the 1940's movie star. ??????

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Originally the first names that came to mind immediately were William Frawley and William Demarest. Demarest was in a film with Grant, a film with Lombard and with Temple. I'll go with my original feeling that it's William Demarest, his famous show was of course My Three Sons, one of his famous films was  The Lady Eve another The Jolson Story and for the bonus Fred MacMurray was the star of My three sons and the 1940's movie star.

No, you need to review the question and all of the hints.

This performer was unique oh, that's what made their participation in a hit 50's-60' s sitcom groundbreaking.

The star of the sitcom had also starred in an Alfred Hitchcock Hollywood movie.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:24 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I think I've got it. Sammee Tong?  Born in California and Sammee attended Stanford University. He appeared  with Grant in Only Angels Have Wings, Temple in Stowaway and Lombard in Love Before Breakfast all 1930's films.  His role was as Peter, John Forsythe's housekeeper in the hit tv sit com Bachelor Father . Forsythe of course starred in the Trouble With Harry.  Sammee's last tv show was in Mickey, starring Mickey Rooney, he would be the big 1940's star. Sammee was in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  Very Sadly, Sammee is reported to have committed suicide. They say he was in debt to the mob for his gambling debts and I guess that you might have your doubts about the way Sammee Tong died, since you wrote his death was "shrouded in mystery" are you thinking maybe a hit not suicide ?????

• Like 1