Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

32 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" which starred John Astin and Marty Ingels?  John Astin, who played the married one, later married Patty Duke.  Marty Ingels later married Shirley Jones.

Emmaline Henry played Mrs. Dickens.  Here's a clip:

Yes I'm Dickens, He's Fenster. is the tv show, it had poor ratings in the beginning but as the season went on, the ratings were excellent, but it was cancelled after 1 season, too bad. John Astin went on to play Gomez in the Addams family tv show. Yes he was married to Patty Duke and Marty Ingels  was married to Shirley Jones. Both talented ladies were Oscar winners and both had their tv shows. Thanks Miles, good work, your thread.

Thanks, Lavender.  Now, one of the regular celebrity panelists on "I've Got A Secret" was also the original host of a long-running game show.  Who was this person and what was the other game show?  

2 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  Now, one of the regular celebrity panelists on "I've Got A Secret" was also the original host of a long-running game show.  Who was this person and what was the other game show?  

Bill Cullen--The Price is Right

You are correct, Princess.  If you look up his TV history, Bill Cullen was probably on more game shows than anyone as either a panelist or as a host.    I was thinking about old game shows when I heard that game show veteran Orson Bean was killed yesterday when he was hit by two cars outside a theater in Venice, California where his wife, actress Alley Mills, was appearing.  He was 91.

Nice work, Princess, and quick, too.  You're up next.     

• Thanks 1

This TV sitcom from the 60s has a long backstory.

It is based on some short stories, which were adapted into a successful Broadway play.

The success of the play resulted in an adaptation into a movie.

The success of the movie resulted in an adaptation into a musical version of the movie.

The success of the musical resulted finally in this sitcom.

The sitcom has the same basic premise of all the prior incarnations.

It featured two prominent Broadway performers who were known for musicals, but the sitcom was not a musical.

When you identify the sitcom, please also name the two featured performers from Broadway and tell us which adaptation you liked the best and who starred in it.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, Princess of Tap said:

It is based on some short stories, which were adapted into a successful Broadway play.

The success of the movie resulted in an adaptation into a musical version of the movie.

It featured two prominent Broadway performers who were known for musicals, but the sitcom was not a musical.

When you identify the sitcom, please also name the two featured performers from Broadway and tell us which adaptation you liked the best and who starred in it.

Hint#1-- One supporting cast member of this sitcom went on to become very popular on one of the most successful sitcoms of the 1960s.

Hint#2--The supporting actor who was a well-known Broadway performer also recreated two of his Broadway roles in Hollywood movies.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, Princess of Tap said:

On 2/12/2020 at 11:52 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1-- One supporting cast member of this sitcom went on to become very popular on one of the most successful sitcoms of the 1960s.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2--The supporting actor who was a well-known Broadway performer also recreated two of his Broadway roles in Hollywood movies.

Hint#3-- The series star also was a series star in the UK.

Could it be "My Sister Eileen"?  It was a 1960 TV series that only lasted one season.  The original movie in 1942 was based on a 1938 Broadway play adapted from short stories by Ruth McKenney,  The movie starred Rosalind Russell and Janet Blair.  It was made into a musical in 1955 and starred Betty Garrett, Janet Leigh, and Jack Lemmon.  The TV series starred Elaine Strich and Shirley Bonne.  Elaine Strich and Stubby Kaye were Broadway veterans in the cast.  Also in the cast was Rose Marie, who would go on to fame on "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  Later, Elaine Strich would also featured in some British sitcoms.  Which version did I prefer?  I would have to say the 1955 musical version.

Here are Elaine Strich , Shirley Bonne, and Stubby Kaye:

Shirley Bonne Elaine Stritch Stubby Kaye My Sister Eileen 1961.jpg 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be "My Sister Eileen"?  It was a 1960 TV series that only lasted one season.  The original movie in 1942 was based on a 1938 Broadway play adapted from short stories by Ruth McKenney,  The movie starred Rosalind Russell and Janet Blair.  It was made into a musical in 1955 and starred Betty Garrett, Janet Leigh, and Jack Lemmon.  The TV series starred Elaine Strich and Shirley Bonne.  Elaine Strich and Stubby Kaye were Broadway veterans in the cast.  Also in the cast was Rose Marie, who would go on to fame on "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  Later, Elaine Strich would also featured in some British sitcoms.  Which version did I prefer?  I would have to say the 1955 musical version.

Here are Elaine Strich , Shirley Bonne, and Stubby Kaye:

Shirley Bonne Elaine Stritch Stubby Kaye My Sister Eileen 1961.jpg 

You are right again as usual, Miles!

"My Sister Eileen" was one of my guilty pleasures in the 60-61 TV season, but unfortunately it didn't last long. What a terrific cast!

Miles, it's time for you to work your magic.....

Before we had "Bill Nye, The Science Guy", we had another "science guy" who had a weekly show for years in the fifties and sixties.  He usually had a boy or girl on the show to help him demonstrate amazing scientific experiments that could be done with ordinary household items.  Here is his picture:

Don Herbert 

ac13260000004web.jpg 

Mr-Wizard-boy-smoke.jpg 

Can you tell us his name as well as the name of his show? 

20 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Before we had "Bill Nye, The Science Guy", we had another "science guy" who had a weekly show for years in the fifties and sixties.  He usually had a boy or girl on the show to help him demonstrate amazing scientific experiments that could be done with ordinary household items.  Here is his picture:

Don Herbert 

ac13260000004web.jpg 

Mr-Wizard-boy-smoke.jpg 

Can you tell us his name as well as the name of his show? 

Of course, that's Mr. Wizard. I always thought it was very equalitarian of him to include a girl in his program because girls were not always included in anything to do with technology or science.

I had to look up the name of the show and his real name because I don't think I could read a whole lot at the time it was on, but my brother and I always watched it.

Now he's Don Herbert and the show we watched was called "Mr.Wizard's World".

There also was some kind of a science guy named Dr. Frank Baxter who did these kind of shows too.

There was no need for PBS then because the networks always supplied good solid programming for young people.

You are correct, Princess.  In the early years the show was called "Watch Mr. Wizard".  Here is an episode:

Don Herbert was also on "General Electric Theater" every week introducing the host, Ronald Reagan, and doing commercials.  He was "The Progress Reporter".  His tag line was "Progress Is Our Most Important Product".  

Nice Work, Princess.  Just as Mr. Wizard amazed us, now it's your turn.

• Thanks 1

This actor started his film career in the 1940's. Had roles with many A list actors and was in many famous films. He also had a successful career in TV especially in the 1950's and 1960's. He played recurring roles as sons and boyfriends and friends to the co-stars on  many TV shows  He was married to an actress who was in the cast of a very popular soap opera.  Actor, a couple of his films and a couple of the tv shows in the classic time period he appeared in  and extra for his actress wife and the soap opera ?????????

In one of the the shows he had a recurring role in he played a boyfriend  and the other tv show he played a member of a fraternity

I think it might be Jimmy Hawkins.  He played Annie Oakley's younger brother Tag on "The Adventures Of Annie Oakley" TV series.  He played a fraternity member on "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet", and during the same time period he played a boyfriend on "The Donna Reed Show".  His movies include "It's A Wonderful Life", "The Sea Of Grass", and "Holiday Affair".  He is married to Lara Parker, who was one of the stars of the soap opera "Dark Shadows".

On 3/2/2020 at 1:28 AM, MilesArcher said:

I think it might be Jimmy Hawkins.  He played Annie Oakley's younger brother Tag on "The Adventures Of Annie Oakley" TV series.  He played a fraternity member on "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet", and during the same time period he played a boyfriend on "The Donna Reed Show".  His movies include "It's A Wonderful Life", "The Sea Of Grass", and "Holiday Affair".  He is married to Lara Parker, who was one of the stars of the soap opera "Dark Shadows".

Perfect answer Miles, it is Jimmy Hawkins. He's raised millions of dollars for charities. He's 78 years old and has been married to cast member of Dark Shadows Lara Parker for 35 years. Good work Miles, your thread.

Miles, my answer is above and it's your thread

Miles, my response is above, it's your thread

Child star Eddie Hodges was first noticed as a contestant on a popular TV game show.  Can you name that show? 

You are correct, Princess.  Eddie's appearance on "Name That Tune" led to him being cast as Winthrop in "The Music Man" on Broadway and then as Frank Sinatra's son in the movie "A Hole In The Head".  Very good, Princess.  You get to go next.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:06 AM, MilesArcher said:

You are correct, Princess.  Eddie's appearance on "Name That Tune" led to him being cast as Winthrop in "The Music Man" on Broadway and then as Frank Sinatra's son in the movie "A Hole In The Head".  Very good, Princess.  You get to go next.  

Princess, it's been a while now.  Please post the next question.  Thanks.