Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, it's been a while now.  Please post the next question.  Thanks.

I'm going to pass it on to you, Miles-

Happy Trails🏇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the actors who were in the movie "Destination Tokyo", which was shown on TCM on Monday night, were co-stars of a 1950's dramatic TV series.    Can you name the actors and the TV series?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Two of the actors who were in the movie "Destination Tokyo", which was shown on TCM on Monday night, were co-stars of a 1950's dramatic TV series.    Can you name the actors and the TV series?

Warren Anderson and Tom Tully both in Destination Tokyo were both in the cast of the 1950's tv show The Lineup, a  police show similar to Dragnet. The show takes place in San Francisco rather than LA like Dragnet ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's correct, Lavender.  In "Destination Tokyo", Warner Anderson played Cary Grant's executive officer, Andy.  Tom Tully played Torpedoman Mike Connors, who gets killed by a Japanese flyer that he is trying to rescue.   The movie ends with the submarine landing in San Francisco.  That is the setting for the TV series which ran for five or six years.    Here is a short clip:

 

Good job, Lavender.  The thread is yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles :)

next

This actor got his big break when he co-starred in a long running tv show. When the show ended, he was never to appear on another tv show but instead went on to make many films and he became a big star. Actor, his tv series extra for some of his hit movies ?????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking Clint Eastwood:  he never did another tv show after Rawhide, and went on to star in hits like Dirty Harry,  Play Misty for Me, and Every Which Way but Loose  before racking up accolades as a director.   ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shutoo said:

I'm thinking Clint Eastwood:  he never did another tv show after Rawhide, and went on to star in hits like Dirty Harry,  Play Misty for Me, and Every Which Way but Loose  before racking up accolades as a director.   ? 

Clint Eastwood's the one Shutoo. Yes, Rawhide's the tv show. When Rawhide finally ended it's run, Eastwood could only be seen on the big screen, no more tv appearances.  Excellent Shutoo,  and you get the bonus points LOL your thread :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks lavenderblue!

There might have been some nepotism involved in securing this actor his early small roles in film and television, but he left it behind for a military stint and to sell cars for nearly a decade.   He returned, and found his greatest fame co-starring on a  very long running series.  It was the last role he received screen credits for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 1:06 AM, shutoo said:

thanks lavenderblue!

There might have been some nepotism involved in securing this actor his early small roles in film and television, but he left it behind for a military stint and to sell cars for nearly a decade.   He returned, and found his greatest fame co-starring on a  very long running series.  It was the last role he received screen credits for.

Shutoo, need a new clue, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His films, before the series, included playing a father in a very hot 'teen angst' movie, and a couple starring roles in B sci fi films of the 50's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be William Hopper?  

That's him, the real Paul Drake!

your thread, MilesArcher!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Shutoo.  That question reminds me that there was a veteran character actor who had a recurring role on the "Perry Mason" TV series and he was given screen credit.  He was a very busy actor in the thirties and forties playing a variety of low-life types, and often with a colorful nickname.  Can you name him , as well as the role he played on "Perry Mason"?  Here are photos of him from the show:

May 18th Birthdays | 50+ World   Perry Mason Actor Page

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Shutoo.  That question reminds me that there was a veteran character actor who had a recurring role on the "Perry Mason" TV series and he was given screen credit.  He was a very busy actor in the thirties and forties playing a variety of low-life types, and often with a colorful nickname.  Can you name him , as well as the role he played on "Perry Mason"?  Here are photos of him from the show:

May 18th Birthdays | 50+ World   Perry Mason Actor Page

 

That's George E. Stone he played the Court Clerk on Perry Mason. He was the store owner in Ocean's 11, Henry Silva uses his telephone. He was also Toothpick Charlie in Some Like It Hot.  Many times he'd have these funny character names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, he goes way back in movies.  He was in "Little Caesar" with Edward G. Robinson.  He was the dance director in "42nd Street".  He played "The Runt" in the Boston **** series with Chester Morris, and of course, he was Toothpick Charlie who gets rubbed out by Spats Colombo in "Some Like It Hot".   Strangely, he played a character named Spats in a 1933 movie called "Sing, Sinner, Sing".  

George E. Stone - Hollywood Star Walk - Los Angeles Times

After I posted the question, I watched a prison movie on TCM called "You Can't Get Away With Murder", starring Humphrey Bogart.  There was George E. Stone playing a convict known as "Toad".

Nice work, Lavender.  It's your thread now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles :)

next

This '60's tv show was a  spin-off of  a week-day tv show. It replaced the show in the time slot, there was a schedule change. Teens loved this show and the theme song became a hit. Name of the tv show and the show it replaced ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles :)

next

This '60's tv show was a  spin-off of  a week-day tv show. It replaced the show in the time slot, there was a schedule change. Teens loved this show and the theme song became a hit. Name of the tv show and the show it replaced ??

Where The Action Is???-- song by Freddy Boom Boom Cannon

American Bandstand?

I'm not really sure about any of that because I didn't watch those shows anymore.

I got all of my rock and roll from "Shindig" and "Ed Sullivan".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Where The Action Is, is credited as the forerunner of music videos, before MTV. Your thread Princess

Thanks, Lav

I now declare this thread is open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally the hiring  of this supporting actor for the role on this classic tv  show was nixed by the network.  One of the co-stars hired him anyway .The show became a hit and long running. with the actor the network had refused to hire. TV show, the actor that got the role, the co-star of the show that hired him and extra for why the network didn't want him for the role originally ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was a supporting actor in classic films and known, this role on tv made him legendary and the character he played iconic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He was a supporting actor in classic films and known, this role on tv made him legendary and the character he played iconic.

I love this story because whenever  it's told, I remember how William Frawley would always call Desi Arnaz the Cuban, to characterize his boss.

The Hollywood industry said in 1951 that William Frawley was unemployable because he was an alcoholic.

Desi Arnaz took a chance and signed Frawley to play Fred Mertz.

 And in return, Bill Frawley said if he ever came to work drunk he would consider himself fired.

Desi was not just a good singer, musician, dancer, and actor. He was also a very good executive producer for "I Love Lucy"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I love this story because whenever  it's told, I remember how William Frawley would always call Desi Arnaz the Cuban, to characterize his boss.

The Hollywood industry said in 1951 that William Frawley was unemployable because he was an alcoholic.

Desi Arnaz took a chance and signed Frawley to play Fred Mertz.

 And in return, Bill Frawley said if he ever came to work drunk he would consider himself fired.

Desi was not just a good singer, musician, dancer, and actor. He was also a very good executive producer for "I Love Lucy"!

Correct Princess, William Frawley and I Love Lucy and Fred Mertz. Desi hired Frawley despite resistance from the network, but he made it clear to Frawley that if he missed even 1 day of work due to his drinking or showed up late he'd be fired. Frawley took that to heart and the rest is great tv history. Princess, it's your turn to post one and I hope you do. In order to keep this thread going, we need posters to post questions. Please do not just pass and please post the next question. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago when I saw this actress in dinner theater oh, it brought me back to the role she played in classic TV.

She was a teenager in one of the most popular TV sitcoms in the classic black and white era.

She was very fortunate to maintain her career as an adult and continued to be featured in several classic sitcoms in the sixties and seventies.

Prior to that she had been in the Hollywood movies and she continued to work in television and movies on up to and through the millennium, including being featured in several soaps.

When you identify this actress, please name at least two of her TV series, and also mention one of her big screen movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 11:07 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Years ago when I saw this actress in dinner theater oh, it brought me back to the role she played in classic TV.

She was a teenager in one of the most popular TV sitcoms in the classic black and white era.

She was very fortunate to maintain her career as an adult and continued to be featured in several classic sitcoms in the sixties and seventies.

Prior to that she had been in the Hollywood movies and she continued to work in television and movies on up to and through the millennium, including being featured in several soaps.

When you identify this actress, please name at least two of her TV series, and also mention one of her big screen movies.

Princess, How about another clue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...