Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

It was quite common for TV stars to do ads for their sponsors.  June Lockhart was on the "Lassie" series which was sponsored for it's entire run by Campbell Soup. ( mmm mmm good!)

We all remember Barbara Feldon from "Get Smart" with her tiger rug.  Her catch phrase was "Get Top Brass and sic'em".

Barbara Feldon PRINT AD - 1965 ~ Top Brass Shampoo & Hair Dressing ... 

And here is Jaclyn Smith doing a Camay commercial. 

Let's not forget the Nelsons.  This might bring back some memories.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles.

Please match the Star to the Product they advertised on TV. 

1. . Dick Van Dyke -  Kodak

2 . Ozzie, Harriet, Ricky and Dave Nelson - Coke

3. Barbara Stanwyck

4. Yconne Craig

5. Barbara Felton - Top Brass

6. George Reeves - Frosted Flakes

7. June Lockhart - Campbells Soups

8. Maureen McCormick - Barbie Dolls

9. Jaclyn Smith - Camay

10. Richard Basehart

11. Bob Hope - Texaco

12. Gale Storm

13. Rhonda Fleming

14. Gene Barry - Sealtest

15. Andy Devine - Sugar Pops

16. Robert Cummings and Garry Moore together - Winston Cigs

___________________________________________________________________________-

1. Frosted Flakes - George Reeves

2. Camay Soap - Jacklyn Smith

3. Sealtest Chocolate Drink - Gene Barry

4. Top Brass - Barbara Felton

5. Campbell Soup - June Lockhart

6. Texaco - Bob Hope

7. Viceroy Cigarettes

8. Maxwell Coffee

9. Kodak - Dick Van Dyke

10. Sugar Pops - Andy Devine

11. Listerine

'12. Lustre Cream Shampoo

13. Winston Cigarettes'- Bob Cummings and Garry Moore

14. Shell

15. Coke - The Nelsons

16. Barbie Doll -  Maureen Mc Cormick

Great so far. Only 5 left to  match.   3. Stanwyck, 4.  Yvonne Craig,   10. Richard Basehart,  12. Gale Storm, 13.  Rhonda Fleming. 

11. Listerine,  14. Shell,  12. Lustre Cream Shampoo, 8. Maxwell Coffee,   7. Viceroy Cigs,  

Here's a hint for Maxwell House Coffee, EGR and Claudette Colbert also did commercials for the product. 

Oh c'mon guys, take a guess, let's wrap this one up. 

On 5/5/2020 at 8:11 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Great so far. Only 5 left to  match.   3. Stanwyck, 4.  Yvonne Craig,   10. Richard Basehart,  12. Gale Storm, 13.  Rhonda Fleming. 

11. Listerine,  14. Shell,  12. Lustre Cream Shampoo, 8. Maxwell Coffee,   7. Viceroy Cigs,  

Here is Babs. 

Next is Yvonne Craig before she was Batgirl.

Here is Richard Basehart.  Don't call him Ishmael.

Here's Gale Storm plugging her TV show's sponsor.

And Rhonda Fleming.  Help me Rhonda, help, help me Rhonda.  Rhonda gets some help from Ann Sheridan, Lori Nelson, Arlene Dahl, and Ann Blyth.

That should wrap up Lavender's list.  Here is a bonus celebrity commercial that I discovered.   Who is the young brunette lady who turns toward the camera at the end of the commercial?

15 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Who is the young brunette lady who turns toward the camera at the end of the commercial?

Is that Nanette Fabray?

Thanks for finishing this one up and the videos. Miles correct on all counts and that' a young Ellen Burstyn ? Good work Miles, Princess and  Shutoo. Miles gets the thread.

You are correct, Lav.  It is Ellen Burstyn with James Garner in the commercial.  Now, here is a list of actors and actresses who were regular cast members on some vintage TV series.  Some were top stars and some were supporting players.  Can you name them and at least one TV show that they were regulars on?

1.  Former 'Family Affair' child actor Johnny Whitaker now has the ... 

2.  TV BANTER . . . with Joanne Madden: Rusty Hamer: The Sad Death of ... 

3.   Brady Bunch' actress Ann B. Davis, who played Alice, dies at 88 ... 

4.   Gale Storm - Hollywood Star Walk - Los Angeles Times 

5.  Nancy Kulp Death, Net Worth, Bio, Husband, Career | TV Show Stars 

6. Ricky Nelson~Young Emotions-New Video - YouTube 

7.  Happy 100th Birthday William Talman! - YouTube 

8.  GENE SHELDON : Happy birthday - Le blog du West (l'Ouest, le vrai !) 

9. Frances Bavier - Wikipedia 

10.  Gardner McKay 

11.  Roger Smith | Discography | Discogs 

12.  Bobby Diamond - Emmy Awards, Nominations and Wins | Television Academy 

13.  1954 Press Photo Art Carney/Actor/Radio | Historic Images 

14.  Whitney Blake | Mayberry Wiki | Fandom 

15. Joe Flynn - Voice Actor Profile at Voice Chasers 

2) Rusty Hamer--Make Room for Daddy/  The Danny Thomas Show

4) Gale Storm--My Little Margie and Oh, Susanna!

6) Ricky Nelson-- The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

7) William Talman/ Hamilton Burger--Perry Mason

10) A man who was the ideal of paradise-- Gardner McKay--Adventures in Paradise

1. Johnny Whitaker - Family Affair

11. Roger Smith - 77 Sunset Strip

12. Bobby Diamond -  Fury

13. Art Carney - The Honeymooners

14, Whitney Blake - Hazel

'15. Joe Flynn - McHale's Navy

Thanks,  Lav.  All of your guesses are correct.  So far Lavender and Princess have identified eleven.  That means there are four left - #3, 5, 8, and 9.  

#8 was a mute servant who used pantomime to communicate.  #3 kept house for a large family, #9 kept house for a single man and his son, and #5 worked for a banker.  I'm surprised that anyone even needs clues for them.  Can anyone wrap this question up?

I think we forgot about this one. 

3. Ann B Davis - Alice on  The Brady Bunch

5. Nancy Kulp - Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies

8. Gene Sheldon - Bernardo on Zorro

9. Francis Bavier - Aunt Bee on Andy Griffith

We have them all now.  Thanks to Lavender and Princess for playing.  It sure would be nice if more people would join in.

Lavender got the most correct, so Lavender, the thread is yours.

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

We have them all now.  Thanks to Lavender and Princess for playing.  It sure would be nice if more people would join in.

Lavender got the most correct, so Lavender, the thread is yours.

Thanks Miles, I agree,, wish there was more participation in this thread Not sure what the problem is, since this one was one of the most popular threads in trivia.

next

This actor, writer, director, producer began his Hollywood career in the 1950's. He appeared on many tv shows and some films and had a legendary role in a film that really made him a sensation. That role made him popular  so that he was able to  record some records.  He did make some other films but his biggest fame followed with a hit tv show. The show was not the only one that was a hit for him.  he became highly successful, so much so that he was able to write, produce and direct.  Actor, his famous film, at least 1 of his hit tv shows ???

In 2 of the films he made before his role in the first hit tv series, he played the lead and the roles were the title characters in both films.

Could it be Michael Landon?  The three hit TV series would be "Bonanza", "Little House On The Prairie", and "Highway To Heaven".  Before "Bonanza", he starred in a few movies like "I Was A Teenage Werewolf" and "The Legend Of Tom Dooley" where he played the title role in each one.  You may remember him in "God's Little Acre" where he played "The Albino".   As you may know, I watch a lot of retro TV these days and I saw him in a small role on "Cheyenne" playing a cavalry soldier.  Here he is with his "Bonanza" horse, Cochise. 

Small Screen: Bonanza's Little Joe relied on dozen-plus horses ...

I didn't remember his singing career so I did a little research.  He made several recordings and appeared several times on "Hullabaloo" in the sixties.  Here he is in one of those episodes. 

He certainly was a versatile performer.

Michael Landon is the guy Miles, and Thanks for the photos and video. :) Bonanza, Little House on The Prairie and Highway To Heaven were his 3 big hits.Yes he was versatile and I remember seeing him on Hullabaloo. He had a miserable childhood. He was tormented by kids in school for being Jewish. His father was Jewish, his mom an Irish Catholic.  He was raised Jewish. His mother was mentally unstable and use to beat him.  She tried to commit suicide and he saved her life. He was extremely athletic  and started college on an athletic scholarship but hurt his arm badly throwing a javelin and switched to acting as a major.  He was so handsome, one role lead to another and the rest is show biz history. His untimely death at the age of 54 of pancreatic cancer certainly was tragic and a great loss. Good work Miles your thread.

Thanks Lavender.  Now this next one should be easy.

During the "British Invasion" of the sixties, there were many British musical groups that appeared on American television.  One particular group had a unique gimmick with some of their songs.  The lead singer, as well as the band members, would do a sort of dance which involved kicking their legs out to either side in unison with one another while they were performing the song.  Can you name the group, the dance, and at least one of their hit songs?

On 5/23/2020 at 5:25 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks Lavender.  Now this next one should be easy.

During the "British Invasion" of the sixties, there were many British musical groups that appeared on American television.  One particular group had a unique gimmick with some of their songs.  The lead singer, as well as the band members, would do a sort of dance which involved kicking their legs out to either side in unison with one another while they were performing the song.  Can you name the group, the dance, and at least one of their hit songs?

Freddie and The Dreamers--" I'm Telling You Now".

I was quite a devotee of the British Invasion movement. I Bought a lot of those records and a few albums, but I can easily say Freddie's group was not among those that I spent money on.

But he was rather amusing.

And he barely had another hit called "Do the Freddie"-- which is the dance you were referring to.

You are correct, Princess.   While I was researching Michael Landon's recording career for the previous question,  I came a cross a very poor quality YouTube clip of Michael doing the Freddie with the British duo Peter And Gordon.  That's what inspired this question.  Here is a better clip, this time with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello joining Freddie.

They also had a hit with "You Were Made For Me", but "The Freddie" remained their trademark.  Here is "Do The Freddie".

I get the feeling that  some of Freddie's dance moves may have been inspired by Jerry Lewis.  Tell us, Princess, in your vast history of dancing, did you ever do "The Freddie" in your tap shoes?  I would have paid good money to see that.  

Princess, you get to post the next one.

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

You are correct, Princess.   While I was researching Michael Landon's recording career for the previous question,  I came a cross a very poor quality YouTube clip of Michael doing the Freddie with the British duo Peter And Gordon.  That's what inspired this question.  Here is a better clip, this time with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello joining Freddie.

They also had a hit with "You Were Made For Me", but "The Freddie" remained their trademark.  Here is "Do The Freddie".

I get the feeling that  some of Freddie's dance moves may have been inspired by Jerry Lewis.  Tell us, Princess, in your vast history of dancing, did you ever do "The Freddie" in your tap shoes?  I would have paid good money to see that.  

Princess, you get to post the next one.

Miles, I was too busy doing time steps to think about that kind of silliness. But I'm always open for a business deal.

BTW-- I saw Peter and Gordon in concert once. But they weren't doing "The Freddie".

Next:

Sticking with the British Invasion--

This Northern England group appeared early on in 64 on "The Ed Sullivan Show". They had a number of hits, including one which was written, in part, by a performer who a little later became a big rock star.

Their biggest #1 hit was a cover.

When you identify the group, please also list where they came from, their hit written by the soon-to-be Rockstar and their number one cover hit.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:26 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Miles, I was too busy doing time steps to think about that kind of silliness. But I'm always open for a business deal.

BTW-- I saw Peter and Gordon in concert once. But they weren't doing "The Freddie".

Next:

Sticking with the British Invasion--

This Northern England group appeared early on in 64 on "The Ed Sullivan Show". They had a number of hits, including one which was written, in part, by a performer who a little later became a big rock star.

Their biggest #1 hit was a cover.

When you identify the group, please also list where they came from, their hit written by the soon-to-be Rockstar and their number one cover hit.

I'm taking a guess with this one but I think they fit your hints. Herman's Hermits hit song I'm Into Something Good.  Carole King and Gerry Geffin wrote the song. Carole of course became a hit rock star. Herman's Hermits were from Manchester. ????