Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Lav, The group in question appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show early in 64 because they were in the first wave of the British Invasion.

But Peter Noone and his group didn't appear on Ed Sullivan until 65.

Hint: This group had a few hits but were never as tremendously popular or successful as Peter Noone's Herman's Hermits.

Well, let's start with a little history of "The Ed Sullivan Show".  The Beatles made three appearances in February of 1964.  In March, The Dave Clark 5 made two appearances, but they were not from northern England, so they don't fit the question.  In April, another group from the Liverpool area, The Searchers, appeared on the Sullivan Show.  I don't think they were named after the John Wayne movie.  Perhaps they were searching for an original song to sing.  Most of their hits were cover versions of songs that had been hits for other people.  In their first appearance with Ed Sullivan they sang "Needles And Pins" and "Ain't That Just Like Me".  "Needle And Pins" had been a hit for Jackie DeShannon the previous year.  It was written by Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono.  Yes, that Sonny Bono who would later become half of "Sonny And Cher".  Here is a clip:

They had an early hit with "Sugar And Spice", which was written by their producer, Tony Hatch.  The Searchers also had  a hit with "Sweets For My Sweet", which had been a hit for The Drifters, and later that year they had a cover version of "Love Potion Number 9", which had been recorded by a group called The Clovers.   Here is The Searchers version:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Well, let's start with a little history of "The Ed Sullivan Show".  The Beatles made three appearances in February of 1964.  In March, The Dave Clark 5 made two appearances, but they were not from northern England, so they don't fit the question.  In April, another group from the Liverpool area, The Searchers, appeared on the Sullivan Show.  I don't think they were named after the John Wayne movie.  Perhaps they were searching for an original song to sing.  Most of their hits were cover versions of songs that had been hits for other people.  In their first appearance with Ed Sullivan they sang "Needles And Pins" and "Ain't That Just Like Me".  "Needle And Pins" had been a hit for Jackie DeShannon the previous year.  It was written by Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono.  Yes, that Sonny Bono who would later become half of "Sonny And Cher".  Here is a clip:

They had an early hit with "Sugar And Spice", which was written by their producer, Tony Hatch.  The Searchers also had  a hit with "Sweets For My Sweet", which had been a hit for The Drifters, and later that year they had a cover version of "Love Potion Number 9", which had been recorded by a group called The Clovers.   Here is The Searchers version:

Miles, a wonderfully well-written, insightful answer with terrific exhibits-- videos.

The Searchers were not all that bad, but I think their main downfall is, as you noted, their inability to compose their own numbers. So that made it impossible for them to keep up with everybody else. But still they did pretty well with what they could sort out from others.

Miles, that's a terrific idea you had going into the Retro British Invasion. 

So now, Miles: Ready, Steady, Go!

Thanks, Princess.  We just touched a little on the British Invasion.  Now, let's see if some of you really know your stuff.  Here are photos of some British musical groups that were active in the sixties.  No, I did not include The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.   How many groups can you identify?  Bonus points if you can name a hit song by each group.

1.  Today 4-16 in 1965: The Hollies make their US stage debut at New ... 

2.  Herman's Hermits Starring Peter Noone at The Hudson Gardens ... 

3.  The Dave Clark Five | Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 

4.  Gerry and the Pacemakers: Where Are They Now? - Rolling Stone 

5.  Eric Burdon reveals all on the break-up of The Animals and ... 

6.  Peter and Gordon 

7.  The Who - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music 

8.  Chad & Jeremy 

9.  Kinks Album Guide - Rolling Stone 

10.  The Yardbirds - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music 

Not so easy, is it?  It's been a lot of years ago for some.

54 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  We just touched a little on the British Invasion.  Now, let's see if some of you really know your stuff.  Here are photos of some British musical groups that were active in the sixties.  No, I did not include The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.   How many groups can you identify?  Bonus points if you can name a hit song by each group.

1.  Today 4-16 in 1965: The Hollies make their US stage debut at New ... The Hollies

2.  Herman's Hermits Starring Peter Noone at The Hudson Gardens ... 

Herman's Hermits

3.  The Dave Clark Five | Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 

The Dave Clark Five

4.  Gerry and the Pacemakers: Where Are They Now? - Rolling Stone Gerry and the Pacemakers

5.  Eric Burdon reveals all on the break-up of The Animals and ... My Eric Burdon and the Animals

6.  Peter and Gordon Peter and Gordon

7.  The Who - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music 

The Who

8.  Chad & Jeremy 

Chad and Jeremy

9.  Kinks Album Guide - Rolling Stone 

The Kinks

10.  The Yardbirds - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music 

The Yardbirds

Not so easy, is it?  It's been a lot of years ago for some.

My teenybopper years just passed  before my eyes--

Some of these I may get wrong. But I promise you, Miles I won't be Consulting my "Tiger Beat" magazine.

I'll just do it from memory.

1)" Look Through Any Window"--My Fav is Graham Nash.

2) "I'm Henry the 8th"

3)" Bits and Pieces "-- My fave is the great Mike Smith.

4) " Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" 

5) " We Gotta  Get Out of This Place"-- My fav is the incomparable wonderful Eric Burdon.

6)" A World Without Love"-- Gordon of course.

7)" My Generation "

8)" Willow Weep For Me"

9)" All the Day and All the Night"-- Dave Davies had it.

10)" For Your Love "-- Jeff Beck was good.

The songs I quoted may not have been their biggest hits. But they were all hits and they were my favorite records.

Miles, aside from The Beatles and The Stones which group was your favorite?

Very good, Princess.  My favorite was Herman's Hermits, or should I say favourite.  And Princess, after you stop playing your old 45 RPM records, you get to post the next question.

• Haha 1

Ok Miles, I'll put on the old 45s--

But this time it's the top 40 in the early 60s before the British Invasion.

The singer was somewhat of a Renaissance Marvel. The performer wrote hit songs for a diverse set of top 40 pop artists, while at the same time competing with them in the top 40 with her/his own singing performances on record.

To further complicate matters the composer/singer hooked up with one of the top songwriting Duos of the era and had a number of hits with them too.

Several of the recording artist's songs where associated with Hollywood movies. One was nominated for the Academy Award.

When you identify this composer / singing recording artist,

don't forget to list at least one of the performer's hit records,

one of the hit records that the performer composed the song for

and the hit that was nominated for the Academy Award.

Brownie points for naming the talent Duo who also wrote for this very talented singer, who was one of my personal favorites.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:57 PM, MilesArcher said:

Very good, Princess.  My favorite was Herman's Hermits, or should I say favourite.  And Princess, after you stop playing your old 45 RPM records, you get to post the next question.

Miles, something tells me we're into something good. LOL

No guesses so far, Princess?  Gee, you're probably thinking there's a kind of hush all over the world.  But don't despair.  I have a guess.

I believe it's The Rockville Rocket himself, Gene Pitney.   Rockville Connecticut is in the town of Vernon and is about fifteen  miles east of Hartford.  Gene Pitney attended Rockville High School, which is about eighteen miles from where I live.  My high school played them in sports, but since Gene Pitney was about a decade older than me, he was a big recording star by the time I was in junior high school.

One of his early hit recordings was "Town Without Pity" from the movie of the same name.  He also had a hit with "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" which was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.  However, it was not used in the movie soundtrack due to a dispute between the publishing company Famous Music and Paramount Pictures.

Pitney was also a songwriter.  He wrote "Rubber Ball" for Bobby Vee, "Hello Mary Lou" for Ricky Nelson, and "He's A Rebel" for The Crystals, among others.

Pitney recorded many songs himself including hits like "It Hurts To Be In Love" and "Only Love Can Break A Heart", which is another Bacharach-David song.  

He occasionally came back to Connecticut to perform.  One time he was interviewed on a Hartford radio station and he revealed that he never liked the nickname "The Rockville Rocket" and that after high school he had moved a few towns north to Somers, CT.  That's where he was buried.  He died of a heart attack while on tour in the U.K. in 2006.

He got to sing "Town Without Pity" at the Academy Awards Show.  It was nominated for Best Song but it lost that year to "Moon River".  Here it is:

He was twenty-one years old at the time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

No guesses so far, Princess?  Gee, you're probably thinking there's a kind of hush all over the world.  But don't despair.  I have a guess.

I believe it's The Rockville Rocket himself, Gene Pitney.   Rockville Connecticut is in the town of Vernon and is about fifteen  miles east of Hartford.  Gene Pitney attended Rockville High School, which is about eighteen miles from where I live.  My high school played them in sports, but since Gene Pitney was about a decade older than me, he was a big recording star by the time I was in junior high school.

One of his early hit recordings was "Town Without Pity" from the movie of the same name.  He also had a hit with "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" which was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.  However, it was not used in the movie soundtrack due to a dispute between the publishing company Famous Music and Paramount Pictures.

Pitney was also a songwriter.  He wrote "Rubber Ball" for Bobby Vee, "Hello Mary Lou" for Ricky Nelson, and "He's A Rebel" for The Crystals, among others.

Pitney recorded many songs himself including hits like "It Hurts To Be In Love" and "Only Love Can Break A Heart", which is another Bacharach-David song.  

He occasionally came back to Connecticut to perform.  One time he was interviewed on a Hartford radio station and he revealed that he never liked the nickname "The Rockville Rocket" and that after high school he had moved a few towns north to Somers, CT.  That's where he was buried.  He died of a heart attack while on tour in the U.K. in 2006.

He got to sing "Town Without Pity" at the Academy Awards Show.  It was nominated for Best Song but it lost that year to "Moon River".  Here it is:

He was twenty-one years old at the time

Well Miles, it looks like you had the inside track on that answer.

Well nobody famous went to my junior high school but we had the same school song as Hawthorne High School-- and that was the one that Brian Wilson used in "Be True To Your School".

I was a big fan of the Rockville Rocket, but for some reason I don't remember him singing at the Academy Awards that year because the only thing I remember was Andy Williams singing "Moon River". And he did a wonderful job because he won. LOL

Quite a thorough job as usual Miles--Now I'm about 24 Hours From Tulsa, so I better get going and leave the next question to you..... 

Thanks, Princess.  Well we covered many of the British Invasion groups.  Maybe it's about time for some non-Brit groups.  Again, can you name the musical group and, as a bonus, can you name a hit song by that group?  All of these groups were active in the sixties.  Some may have started before the sixties and some were active after the sixties.

1.   Dino, Desi & Billy | Nostalgia Central 

2.  Gary Lewis & The Playboys | Nostalgia Central 

3.  Joey Dee and the Starliters - Alchetron, the free social encyclopedia 

4.  Founder of Paul Revere and the Raiders dies - Los Angeles Times 

5.  The Association - Dreamer (1981) - YouTube 

6.  With Ed Sullivan

The Young Rascals appear on The Ed Sullivan Show, March 20, 1966 ... 

7.  JAY BLACK AND THE AMERICANS- CARA MIA | Music event, 60s music, Music 

8.  SiriusXM Agrees to Pay Up to $99 Million to Settle Turtles-Backed ... 

9.  GARY PUCKETT & THE UNION GAP Promotional photo of US pop group ... 

10.  Spanky And Our Gang Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos & Images ... 

11.  Jan and Dean (Music) - TV Tropes 

12.  Reelz Presents: Sonny & Cher: Breaking The Band : The Recoup 

I included that last one for the costumes.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  Well we covered many of the British Invasion groups.  Maybe it's about time for some non-Brit groups.  Again, can you name the musical group and, as a bonus, can you name a hit song by that group?  All of these groups were active in the sixties.  Some may have started before the sixties and some were active after the sixties.

1.   Dino, Desi & Billy | Nostalgia Central Dino, Desi & Billy

" Don't Fight It "

3 cute Catholic kids who were more famous for who they were related to, and what they did later on in life. But I bought that record cuz it was not bad.

2.  Gary Lewis & The Playboys | Nostalgia Central Gary Lewis & the Playboys

Again the leader of this group was also related to a famous movie star but the group wasn't all that bad and they got a lot of help from his dad.

Their stuff wasn't bad to listen to on the radio but I never would waste money buying one of their records.

" This Diamond Ring "

3.  Joey Dee and the Starliters - Alchetron, the free social encyclopedia  Joey Dee & The Starlighters

They started pre Beatles and they weren't bad at all-- not really bad at all. Early 1960s stuff

" The Peppermint Twist"

4.  Founder of Paul Revere and the Raiders dies - Los Angeles Times Paul Revere and the Raiders

The girls really liked Mark Lindsay, the lead singer, and Doris Day's son, Terry Melcher, produced some good marketable pop records for them. The group was silly and big with the comedy. Nothing great musically but it was a lot of fun.

" Kicks"

5.  The Association - Dreamer (1981) - YouTube The Association

I loved this group because they had fine Harmony and well-produced well-written records.

" Windy "

6.  With Ed Sullivan

The Young Rascals appear on The Ed Sullivan Show, March 20, 1966 ... Felix Cavaliere and The Young Rascals

These guys are something else. They were right near the top with a rock- soulful sound that allowed them to compete  strongly with the British Invasion.

" Groovin' "

7.  JAY BLACK AND THE AMERICANS- CARA MIA | Music event, 60s music, Music PASS

8.  SiriusXM Agrees to Pay Up to $99 Million to Settle Turtles-Backed ... Flo and Eddie and The Turtles

A  cutesy- wootsie West Coast band that had a lot of experience and their songs seemd too simplistic-- but they were so well-constructed and professionally performed.

" Happy Together "

9.  GARY PUCKETT & THE UNION GAP Promotional photo of US pop group ... 

PASS

10.  Spanky And Our Gang Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos & Images ... Spanky and Our Gang

What a beautiful group with such lovely melodic sounds. I wish they had had more hits.

" Sunday Will Never Be The Same"

11.  Jan and Dean (Music) - TV Tropes Jan and Dean

This Duo  was extremely pre- Beatles Because Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys idolized them before they ever recorded. And Brian gave them their number one record:

" Surf City ".

12.  Reelz Presents: Sonny & Cher: Breaking The Band : The Recoup Sonny and Cher-- Sonny was a flunky for Phil Spector and learned a whole lot. Cher could sing and Sonny could write the songs--" I Got You Babe ".

I included that last one for the costumes.

I call the American groups in the mid- 60s The Counter- American Invasion. But it does look like you've picked a few groups who predate The Beatles.

I'm just going to pick out the ones that I like because frankly, well, some were not really all that up to speed-- a little bit like the nursery rhyme of the little girl, who had the curl. LOL

Miles, did you include your favorite American group here?

Very good answers, Princess.  I noticed that you passed on a couple of them.  #7 isn't a real good picture.  Perhaps this is a better one.

Jay and the Americans in 1965 

Only in America would you find a singing group that had a lead singer with such a big, almost operatic voice.  

#9 is a group, much like Paul Revere and the Raiders,  that seemed to like wearing uniforms.  if you were a Young Girl in the sixties, you probably thought they were singing to you.

Gary Puckett & The Union Gap | Discography | Discogs   

7. Jay and The Americans and I think Come A Little But Closer was a great song

9. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, meh.......

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

7. Jay and The Americans and I think Come A Little But Closer was a great song

9. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, meh.......

Lav-- I've been waiting for you to join the fun down here!

Very good, Lavender.  Apparently you picked up on my not so subtle clues.   Jay And The Americans also had a big hit with "Cara Mia".  The original lead singer was Jay Traynor.  He left the group in the early sixties, but since the group's name was already well known, the new lead singer had to be called Jay.  Jay Black was that new singer, although he had to change his name.  His original name was David Blatt.

Gary Puckett And The Union Gap also had hits with "Lady Willpower" and "This Girl Is A Woman Now".

I left out a couple of favorites because they would be too easy.  They include The Beach Boys, Dion And The Belmonts, The Four Seasons, and The Supremes. 

Nice work Princess and Lavender.  Princess got the most so she gets to post the next question.

• Thanks 1

Gene Pitney wasn't the only popular top 40 recording artist who wrote for other artists, who were actually competition.

When you identify the songwriter(s) and the artist(s) who they wrote for, don't forget to also mention the song(s) in question.

1)These popular rock songwriters wrote their own music and also wrote for others--

One particular song they wrote was never recorded by the intendes  artist because of the performer's Unexpected death. 

So the songwriters recorded the song themselves, even though the song was written for an American soul singer.

2) These popular rock songwriters wrote their own music and also wrote for others--

They wrote several songs for a popular top 40 singer who they knew well because all of them had worked together in a rock and roll nightclub when they were just starting out.

3) This top 40 pop singer wrote some of their own hits as well as some for other people. I saw this performer when the singer opened for the Beatles. Ironically, the singer wrote a song which was a hit for another Merseyside group.

4) This songwriter wrote for the rock group that they were a member of and also for other top 40 artists--

When the songwriter collaborated with a songwriter from another group the result was a number one song for the collaborator's group.

About six months later the two songwriters re-worked the same song with a few minor changes and had another hit for the collaborator's group.

5) This lead singer and another group member had their own R&B group who they wrote for. In addition they wrote and produced records for a very competitive top R&B singing group, which had two lead singers.

Hint: All of these artists were very active in the 1960s in the United States and in the UK.