• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

"Some People Call Me

A Teenage Idol"

Elvis Presley ushered in the days of the singing teenage idol who, in addition to recording hit records, starred in movies and on TV in the late 50s and in the 60's.

After identifying each teenage idol, can you also named one of his hit records and/one of his movies and/or TV shows.

1) This guy had a particular item of apparel that he always wore and was famous for. He was related in marriage to a famous country and western singing star.

2) This teenage idol not only sang but also played a musical instrument very well( not the guitar or the piano). He co-starred in a series of popular teen films in the 1960s.

3) This young singer followed in the footsteps of his mother, who had been a band singer and appeared in the movies. He played the guitar and was a songwriter.

4) This singer had a string of top 40 hits like all the others, but he had something the others did not have--an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

5) This teen idol was not born in the United States. He was also a composer and lyricist, who wrote the lyrics of a hit song for one of America's top pop singers.

6) This popular young singer was discovered by Elvis' manager and also has his roots in country music. He was related in marriage to a famous American pop singer.

7) This young singer had a slew of hit records and appeared in a popular 60s movie musical, which had originally been a big hit on Broadway.

Eight) This teen idol had his career launched in the aftermath of a tragic event. Bob Dylan played in the singer's backup band early on and was impressed with his singing style.

I'll take a crack at this one.

1.  Pat Boone -  The son-in-law of Red Foley.  Always wore white buck shoes.  Song: April Love  Movies:  April Love and Bernardine

2.  Frankie Avalon  -  Song: Venus   Movie: Beach Party

3.  Ricky Nelson  -  His mom Harriet sang with Ozzie's band.  Song:  Hello, Mary Lou   Movie: Here Come The Nelsons

4.  Bobby Darin - Song: Splish Splash   Movie:  Captain Newman M,D.  (Supporting Actor Oscar Nomination)

5.  Paul Anka _ Song: Diana   Movie:  Girls Town

6.  Tommy Sands - Song: Teenage Crush   Movie:  Babes In Toyland 

7.  Bobby Rydell - Song: Wild One   Movie: Bye, Bye Birdie

8.  Bobby Vee - Song: Rubber Ball    Movie: C'mon, Let's Live A Little  

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll take a crack at this one.

1.  Pat Boone -  The son-in-law of Red Foley.  Always wore white buck shoes.  Song: April Love  Movies:  April Love and Bernardine

2.  Frankie Avalon  -  Song: Venus   Movie: Beach Party

3.  Ricky Nelson  -  His mom Harriet sang with Ozzie's band.  Song:  Hello, Mary Lou   Movie: Here Come The Nelsons

4.  Bobby Darin - Song: Splish Splash   Movie:  Captain Newman M,D.  (Supporting Actor Oscar Nomination)

5.  Paul Anka _ Song: Diana   Movie:  Girls Town

6.  Tommy Sands - Song: Teenage Crush   Movie:  Babes In Toyland 

7.  Bobby Rydell - Song: Wild One   Movie: Bye, Bye Birdie

8.  Bobby Vee - Song: Rubber Ball    Movie: C'mon, Let's Live A Little  

Well, Miles, it looks like you A+ this one.

1)Pat Boone had his own TV music/ variety show on NBC-TV, "The Chevy Show".

2) Frankie Avalon played the trumpet rather well.

3) Ricky Nelson was featured in "Rio Bravo" and wrote "Garden Party".

4) Bobby Darin has the honor of being Lucille Ball's favorite singer.

5) Paul Anka wrote the lyrics in English to Frank Sinatra's big hit  "My Way".

6) Tommy Sands was Frank Sinatra's son-in-law-- he was married to Nancy Jr.

7) Bobby Rydell proved that he could dance alongside of Ann-Margret in "Bye Bye Birdie".

8) And Bobby Vee was Buddy Holly's substitute at the venue he was scheduled for"The Day the Music Died."

Excellent job Miles, but I'm afraid talking about all these old guys made me feel old too-- but not quite as old as them.:D

It's all yours.....

Thanks, Princess.  I only had to look up a few things - a hit song for Tommy Sands and movies for Bobby Vee and Paul Anka.

Now, we all remember kids who starred in TV series, but do you remember the kids who played supporting roles?  Here is a series of photos of youngsters who appeared in TV series from the fifties and sixties.  A couple of them may have lasted into the seventies.  Can you name the young actor or actress in each photo as well as the show they were in?  Bonus points if you can name their character's name.

1.  Joey Vieira - Bio, Facts, Family | Famous Birthdays 

2.   My latest movie hero | Arkansas Hunting - Your Arkansas Hunting ...

3.  Anissa Jones - Wikipedia 

4.  Rusty Stevens as Larry Mondello - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries 

5.   Michael Winkelman as Little Luke - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries   

6.  Macabre Drive-In Theater: It's Wednesday! 

7.  Paul O'Keefe The Patty Duke Show Original 7x9 Photo #Z671 | eBay 

8.  This is what little Tabitha from Bewitched looks like now - 9Celebrity 

9.  Larry Mathews - Wikipedia 

10.  billy booth - Google Search | Actors, Dennis the menace, Male sketch 

11.  Pin on Tripping On Nostalgia 

12.  1965 Press Photo Patty Petersen plays Trisha in "The Donna Reed ... 

13.  Jimmy Hawkins 

14.  Lauren Chapin is a former child actress, most remembered for her ... 

15.    Bobby Buntrock - Wikipedia 

image.jpeg

1. Porky- Joey Vierra - Lassie

3. Buffy - Annissa Jones - Family Affair

4. Larry Mondello - Rusty Stevens - Leave It To Beaver

5. Little Luke - Michael Winkelman - The Real McCoys

6. Wednesday- Lisa Loring - The Addams Family

7. Ross - Paul O'Keefe - The Patty Duke Show

8. Tabitha - Erin Murphy - Bewitched

9. Ritchie- Larry Mathews- The Dick Van Dyke Show

10. Tommy - Billy Booth - Dennis the Menace

11. Eddie Munster - Butch Patrick - The Munsters

12. Trisha - Patty Peterson - The Donna Reed Show

13. Scotty- Jimmy Hawkins - The Donna Reed Show

14. Kathy - Lauren Chapin -  Father Knows Best

15.  Harold-   Bobby Buntrock- Hazel

Normally I wouldn't have answered all of them but I have repair people here and have to sit here at the computer out of the way. Left #2 out, can't remember probably a Disney kid

13) The photo is of Jimmy Hawkins in the character of Tagg Oakley in my favorite western show, "Annie Oakley", starring Gail Davis.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

13) The photo is of Jimmy Hawkins in the character of Tagg Oakley in my favorite western show, "Annie Oakley", starring Gail Davis.

It's funny, I never watched that show that I can remember (Annie Oakley). When I saw Jimmy's face I automatically thought of him as an older boy, as Mary's boyfriend Scotty on the Donna Reed Show and Ricky's friend on Ozzie and Harriet.

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's funny, I never watched that show that I can remember (Annie Oakley). When I saw Jimmy's face I automatically thought of him as an older boy, as Mary's boyfriend Scotty on the Donna Reed Show and Ricky's friend on Ozzie and Harriet.

I was a serious cowgirl. I had the entire Gail Davis outfit with the hat and I even had paper doll cutouts of the cast members in the show.

Remember paper doll cutouts. LOL

37 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I was a serious cowgirl. I had the entire Gail Davis outfit with the hat and I even had paper doll cutouts of the cast members in the show.

Remember paper doll cutouts. LOL

I certainly do and think of them sometimes. Interesting how little playthings like paper dolls made us ( and our generation) happy and busy for hours. Doubt this generation would care for more than a few minutes. I loved Colorforms and my plastic screen for the tv to color when watching Winky Dink LOL

• Like 1

I think Erin Murphy had a sister who also played Tabitha due to regulations.

I remember paper dolls, but I had Barbie Dolls and so did my friends.  My Mom made wedding dresses from different doll patterns for all of my friend's Barbies.  I still have troll from childhood.  I also remember something called Mystery Date.

Poor Buffy from Family Affair - died way too young (I remember being shocked).

Toys were so much less expensive in my day.  Loved original Legos (before the fancy sets) and used to play with them at my girlfriend's house.

• Like 1

#2 actually became a Disney kid after working as a regular cast member on a TV series.    The picture that I posted may be from those Disney days.  I couldn't find one of him alone on his TV series, so this photo of him with other cast members may give it away.  He's the little fellow in the front.

MV5BMGYzY2I1NGMtMWY4Yy00OTE3LTk0YWMtODY5Njc3MzZmNzExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzODEzNDU@__V1_.jpg 

Now do you know him?  

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

#2 actually became a Disney kid after working as a regular cast member on a TV series.    The picture that I posted may be from those Disney days.  I couldn't find one of him alone on his TV series, so this photo of him with other cast members may give it away.  He's the little fellow in the front.

MV5BMGYzY2I1NGMtMWY4Yy00OTE3LTk0YWMtODY5Njc3MzZmNzExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzODEzNDU@__V1_.jpg 

Now do you know him?  

Roger Mobley as Packey on Fury? I know that I use to watch Fury when I was really little, just can't remember.

Very good, Lavender.   I wonder how many of those kids are still alive.  I know that Annissa Jones and Bobby Buntrock died very young, and Michael Winkelman passed away some years ago.  I don't know about the others.  

Lavender got them all so she gets to post the next question.

• Like 1

Thanks Miles. In honor of teachers on classic tv shows can you name the actor or actress who played the teacher(s) and the name of the tv show. Extra credit to name their character on the tv show

1.Wally Cox as Mr. Peepers - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

On Gabe Kaplan and “Welcome Back, Kotter” (with Special Guest ...

The Scott Rollins Film and TV Trivia Blog: William Schallert ...

Actress - Denise Nicholas Official Website

3uddlm9QJShfL2XaW1TKvaag0izhNg7FV9X-y68F2nP4cudFImGrUoNTbQXu1Xpna3QDBbszT3cEo_L2sQSVyPxDc7cW

Review: Gidget TV series (1965-1966) | Comet Over Hollywood

17 Things Producers of 'The Andy Griffith Show' Hid from Fans ...

71 Best Leave It To Beaver images | Leave it to beaver, Beaver ...

Eve Arden, Richard Crenna, Robert Rockwell "Our Miss Brooks" TV ...

Watch The Paper Chase on Netflix Today! | NetflixMovies.com

11.mrnovak2.jpg

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles. In honor of teachers on classic tv shows can you name the actor or actress who played the teacher(s) and the name of the tv show. Extra credit to name their character on the tv show

Wally Cox as Mr. Peepers - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Wally Cox was Mr. Peepers

William Schallert was

Mr Pomfritt on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.

3uddlm9QJShfL2XaW1TKvaag0izhNg7FV9X-y68F2nP4cudFImGrUoNTbQXu1Xpna3QDBbszT3cEo_L2sQSVyPxDc7cW

In between here is Our Miss Brooks-- Eve Arden is Miss Brooks, Robert Rockwell is Mr. Boynton and Richard Crenna is Walter Denton, a student.

mrnovak2.jpg

Mr. Vain, Dean Jagger, was the principal and Mr. Novak, James Franciscus, was his favorite teacher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1.Wally Cox as Mr. Peepers - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Eve Arden, Richard Crenna, Robert Rockwell "Our Miss Brooks" TV ...

11.mrnovak2.jpg

2,4,5,6,7,8,10 are Still Open

#2 is "Welcome Back Kotter"  with Gabe Kaplan as teacher Gabe Kotter.

L-R,  John Travolta, Gabe Kaplan, Ron Palillo, Robert Hegyes,  Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs 

#4 is "Room 222" with Lloyd Haynes as teacher Pete Dixon.

L-R,  Howard Rice, Lloyd Haynes, Denise Nicholas, Karen Valentine, Michael Constantine

#5 is "The White Shadow" with Ken Howard as teacher and coach Ken Reeves.  I don't know the names of all the boys.

#6 is "Gidget".  That's Sally Field behind the bubble and Don Porter as her father , Professor Russell Lawrence.  He played the same role in the movie "Gidget Goes To Rome" a few years earlier.

#7 is "The Andy Griffith Show" with Ronnie Howard as Opie and Aneta Corsaut as teacher Helen Crump.

#8 is "Leave It To Beaver" with Sue Randall as Beaver's teacher, Miss Landers.

#10 is "The Paper Chase" with John Houseman as Professor Charles Kingsfield, a role he had played in the movie of the same name a few years earlier.

• Like 1

Excellent Miles and Thank You and Princess. I stopped posting photos because it made my last computer crash when I use to do a lot of them. I took a chance this time, wish there had been more participation since I took a big chance doing this. My daughter helped me with this. since I answered all of your photos the time before I wanted to give everyone a chance to identify photos. Miles, the thread is yours and Thanks again Princess and Miles :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Lav.  Well, we've had TV detectives and TV teachers.  Now let's see how well you remember TV lawyers.  Some of these will be easy and some will be tough.  Some were not on very long and you may have forgotten them. Here are photos of TV lawyers from years ago.  Can you name not only the show, but the cast members pictured as well? 

1.  RARE STILL CAST OF TV PERRY MASON | Perry mason, Perry mason tv ... 

2.  The Brady Bunch Blog: Robert Reed & E.G. Marshall "The Defenders" 

3.  eBay #Sponsored 1972 Press Photo Cast of "Owen Marshall Counselor ... 

4.  Stephen Young (actor) - Wikipedia 

5.  1965 PRESS PHOTO Burl Ives in "O.K. Crackerby!" "O.K. Crackerby ... 

6.   The Law and Mr. Jones - Wikipedia 

7.  Yes, a western lawyer.

Temple Houston (TV series) - jeffrey hunter and jack Elam | Jack ... 

8.  Roger Perry Dead: 'Star Trek,' 'The Munsters' and 'The Facts of ... 

9.  For the People (1965) (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) 

10.  JOHN DOUCETTE 

11.  This one didn't last long.

File:Jean Arthur Ron Harper Leonard Stone The Jean Arthur Show.JPG ... 

12.  1963 Chuck Connors and Ben Gazzara ARREST & TRIAL ABC Crime ... 

13.  Another short run.  This one's in the old west.

1967 PRESS PHOTO Actors John Mills, Sean Garrison star "Dundee and ... 

You may have noticed that there are very few women in these photos.    Hopefully. times have changed.

24 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.  Well, we've had TV detectives and TV teachers.  Now let's see how well you remember TV lawyers.  Some of these will be easy and some will be tough.  Some were not on very long and you may have forgotten them. Here are photos of TV lawyers from years ago.  Can you name not only the show, but the cast members pictured as well? 

1.  RARE STILL CAST OF TV PERRY MASON | Perry mason, Perry mason tv ... L-R- Barbara Hale, Ray Collins, Raymond Burr, William Talman and William Hopper

Perry Mason

2.  The Brady Bunch Blog: Robert Reed & E.G. Marshall "The Defenders" Robert Reed and EG Marshall

The Defenders

3.  eBay #Sponsored 1972 Press Photo Cast of "Owen Marshall Counselor ... 

4.  Stephen Young (actor) - Wikipedia Judd for the Defense

Stephen Young and Carl Betz

5.  1965 PRESS PHOTO Burl Ives in "O.K. Crackerby!" "O.K. Crackerby ... 

6.   The Law and Mr. Jones - Wikipedia The Law and Mr. Jones

James Whitmore and I don't know the two others.

7.  Yes, a western lawyer.

Temple Houston (TV series) - jeffrey hunter and jack Elam | Jack ... 

8.  Roger Perry Dead: 'Star Trek,' 'The Munsters' and 'The Facts of ... h a double r i g a n spells Harrigan-- that is Harrigan and Son

L-R Roger Perry, Georgine Darcy, Pat O'Brien and the very talented Helen Kleeb, who is not pictured.

9.  For the People (1965) (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) 

10.  JOHN DOUCETTE 

11.  This one didn't last long.

File:Jean Arthur Ron Harper Leonard Stone The Jean Arthur Show.JPG ... 

12.  1963 Chuck Connors and Ben Gazzara ARREST & TRIAL ABC Crime ... 

13.  Another short run.  This one's in the old west.

1967 PRESS PHOTO Actors John Mills, Sean Garrison star "Dundee and ... 

You may have noticed that there are very few women in these photos.    Hopefully. times have changed.

These were all of my special shows. 

In terms of women, the "Perry Mason" show gave Bette Davis free rein to be a defense lawyer while Raymond Burr was out having surgery. So it sure was way ahead of the times.

And that certainly can be stated twice, because Gail Patrick Jackson was the first woman to be an executive producer of a hit TV series on classic TV.

"Perry Mason" Creator Erle Stanley Gardner wanted the retired actress to play Della Street, but she had other things in mind.;)

Just now, MilesArcher said:

Very good so far, Princess.  Maybe someone else can get a few more of them.  

Thank you and very good choices too.

7. Temple and Houston - Jack Elam and Jeffrey Hunter

11. The Jean Arthur Show - Ron Harper?, Jean Arthur and Leonard Stone

12. Arrest and Trial - Ben Gazzara and Chuck Connors

13. Dundee and Culhane - Sean Garrison and John Mills