Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

#15 is "Peter Loves Mary", a sitcom which ran for one season from 1960 to 1961.  It starred Peter Lind Hayes and Mary Healey as a show biz couple who move to a small town in Connecticut.

I believe that we have identified all of them now.

• Like 2
On 8/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, MilesArcher said:

#15 is "Peter Loves Mary", a sitcom which ran for one season from 1960 to 1961.  It starred Peter Lind Hayes and Mary Healey as a show biz couple who move to a small town in Connecticut.

I believe that we have identified all of them now.

I believe you're right...sorry for the lag time....

With 17 correct (including the 2 I wasn't sure anyone would get...Generation Gap and Diagnosis Unknown) Lavenderblue gets the coveted sticker:  Genius Brilliant Intelligent Smart Measure Your Intelligence Level ...

Your thread, Lavenderblue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, shutoo said:

I believe you're right...sorry for the lag time....

With 17 correct (including the 2 I wasn't sure anyone would get...Generation Gap and Diagnosis Unknown) Lavenderblue gets the coveted sticker:  Genius Brilliant Intelligent Smart Measure Your Intelligence Level ...

Your thread, Lavenderblue!

Thanks shutoo, I wish that was so! LOL

next

This actor, director, producer appeared in some  classic noir films and starred in tv shows. When interviewed and asked about  one tv show that he was involved  with he said " the only thing I really cared about  in 40 years in the business". He appeared in some famous film noirs before his tv career. Who was this actor and what was the tv show he was talking about ??  Extra to name a few of  the famous films he was in and another tv show he's known for ?????????

Dick Powell was a famous singer in the Warner Brothers "42nd Street" musicals in the 1930s before he became a Noir star in the 1940s with the film "Murder My Sweet".

In the 1950s and early 60's before his death, he was a classic TV pioneer-- starring, producing and directing classic television series.

The series he was most proudest of was the  "Dick Powell Zane Grey Theater" and he's responsible for the Four Star production company which produced and introduced Steve McQueen as a TV star in "Wanted Dead or Alive".

Other very popular classic TV shows that Four Star Productions under Four Star Television produced were "The Rifleman" starring Chuck Connors and "The Detectives" starring Robert Taylor.

Dick Powell predominantly ran Four Star, but the other three stars also participated and performing on the various television shows produced. The other three stars with Ida Lupino, David Niven and Charles Boyer.

Two of the Stars actually appeared in their own TV show called The Rogues-- and they were David Niven and Charles Boyer. And Dick Powell presented his wife and the June Allyson show as well.

( Joel McCrea had been one of the original four stars, but bowed out and was replaced by Ida Lupino.)

14 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Dick Powell was a famous singer in the Warner Brothers "42nd Street" musicals in the 1930s before he became a Noir star in the 1940s with the film "Murder My Sweet".

In the 1950s and early 60's before his death, he was a classic TV pioneer-- starring, producing and directing classic television series.

The series he was most proudest of was the  "Zane Grey Theater" and he's responsible for the 4 Star production company which produced and introduced Steve McQueen as a TV star in "Wanted Dead or Alive".

That's a good answer but not the one I'm asking about. This actor was quoted as saying "the only thing I cared about in 40 years in the business" he was referring to a tv show he was involved in.

This actor was a narrator on this show. His career went into the 1990's.

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

That's a good answer but not the one I'm asking about. this actor was quoted as saying "the only thing I cared about in 40 years in the business" he was referring to a tv show he was involved in.

This actor was a narrator on this show. His career went into the 1990's.

I answered the question. But I really can't read your mind--sorry.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I answered the question. But I really can't read your mind--sorry.

You didn't answer my question Princess, my question was who said that quote, and what tv show was he referring to. Dick Powell did not say that. Read the original question. 

I can't seem to find who the quote is attributed to, so I'll take a guess.  Could it be William Conrad?  We know that he was a long-time radio actor, having played Matt Dillon on the radio version of "Gunsmoke".  Starting in the late 1940's he appeared in quite a few movies, including "The Killers", "Sorry, Wrong Number", and "Cry Danger".   Besides starring in "Cannon" and "Jake And The Fat Man" on TV, he also was the narrator of the sixties series, "The Fugitive" with David Janssen.  He also served as narrator for "The Bullwinkle Show", also known as "Rocky And Bullwinkle", where he was also a voice actor.  Could it be him?

Great but Forgotten: William Conrad (actor) 

• Like 1

"Our idea was to take examples of cartoons and then talk to the creative staff and find out what was going on here," said producer Benjamin Brady Magliano. What was going on was apparently a lot of fun. Narrator William Conrad told Magliano that the series was "the only thing I really cared about" in his 40 years in the business.

This is from an article about the tv show The Bullwinkle Show (Rocky and Bullwinkle). It was an article published in The Washington Post.

The link for the article is here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/tv/1991/03/03/of-moose-and-men/f007ff01-b271-4262-bbf4-dd6f941d7c9b/

Yes, William Conrad. The TV show is The Bullwinkle Show (Rocky and Bullwinkle). He was one of the assassins in the Burt Lancaster film The Killers. He also played a role in Sorry Wrong Number and Cry Danger. He starred in the tv show Cannon, it's shown week nights on ME-TV and the tv show Jake and the Fat Man. I think it's interesting that he had 106 credits to his name and yet he said that after 40 years in the business The Bullwinkle Show was the show he cared most about. I never missed an episode when it was on tv, it was a favorite. Good work Miles, thanks for the guess Princess. Miles, it's your thread ;)

• Like 1

Thanks, Lavender.  This next actor was probably destined for an acting career at an early age.  One of his grade school teachers was Margaret Hamilton and as a teenager, one of his classmates was Victor Mature.  His resume reads much like Wiliam Conrad's.  He was a radio actor and announcer.  After World War II, he got a chance to appear in movies as a character actor.  He was equally adept at both comedy and drama.  From the 1950's to the 1980's, he appeared in both comedic and dramatic roles in movies and TV shows.  He was a co-star on a popular sitcom as the husband and level-headed half of a married couple.  He would become better known for another sitcom in the sixties, and he did a later sitcom that was based on a popular comic strip.  He was seen recently in two movies on TCM as part of the Summer Under The Stars salute to one star.  Like William Conrad, he was also a voice actor for some cartoon characters, with one particular character being well known.  Now, here is a big hint:  One of the characters that he played on television had the same name as the now current coach of the Boston Celtics.   Who is this fine character actor? 

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  This next actor was probably destined for an acting career at an early age.  One of his grade school teachers was Margaret Hamilton and as a teenager, one of his classmates was Victor Mature.  His resume reads much like Wiliam Conrad's.  He was a radio actor and announcer.  After World War II, he got a chance to appear in movies as a character actor.  He was equally adept at both comedy and drama.  From the 1950's to the 1980's, he appeared in both comedic and dramatic roles in movies and TV shows.  He was a co-star on a popular sitcom as the husband and level-headed half of a married couple.  He would become better known for another sitcom in the sixties, and he did a later sitcom that was based on a popular comic strip.  He was seen recently in two movies on TCM as part of the Summer Under The Stars salute to one star.  Like William Conrad, he was also a voice actor for some cartoon characters, with one particular character being well known.  Now, here is a big hint:  One of the characters that he played on television had the same name as the now current coach of the Boston Celtics.   Who is this fine character actor? 

Sounds like Jim Backus. I Married Joan as the level headed husband, Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island and Backus was the voice for Mr. Magoo. He played James Dean's father in Rebel Without a Cause. Very nice man, I met Jim Backus and his wife in the 1970's. 

• Like 1

You are correct. Lavender.  On "I Married Joan", Jim Backus played Bradley Stevens.  The Celtics coach is named Brad Stevens.  After "Gilligan's Island", he was in another sitcom called "Blondie", which was based on the "Blondie" comic strip.  He played Dagwood's boss, Mr. Dithers.   Jim Backus started doing the voice of Mr. Magoo way back in 1950.   He did that voice for many years, including a Mr. Magoo TV series in the sixties.  Besides "Rebel Without A Cause", he also worked with Natalie Wood In "The Girl He Left Behind", which was also shown on TCM recently.  

ddee4275463438f349d830044885b400cab7fe4592abf01ee5eaa8c9.jpg 

Good work, Lavender.  You're up next.  

• Like 1

The following actors and actresses were regular or semi-regular cast members of well known TV series in the fifties and sixties.  Can you identify them, as well as the show they were in and their character names?

1.  Patricia Breslin Modell (1931-2011) - Find A Grave Memorial 

2.  Skip Young (actor)/Image gallery | Beverly Hillbillies Wiki | Fandom 

3.  Jack Dodson (1931-1994) - Find A Grave Memorial 

4.     Leave it to Beaver' actor Frank Bank dies at 71…… | dailyoddsandends 

5.      Pin on THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES 

6.  Final Years of 'Make Room for Daddy's Sid Melton 

7.  Ann Morgan Guilbert - Wikipedia 

8.  Steve Franken, Comedic Actor in 'Dobie Gillis,' Dies at 80 - The ... 

9.  Paul Brinegar | Western Series Wiki | Fandom 

10.  Silver Age Television 📺 on Twitter: "Remembering #MauriceGosfield ... 

51 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

The following actors and actresses were regular or semi-regular cast members of well known TV series in the fifties and sixties.  Can you identify them, as well as the show they were in and their character names?

1.  Patricia Breslin Modell (1931-2011) - Find A Grave Memorial 

Pat Breslin-- Mandy-- The People's Choice

2.  Skip Young (actor)/Image gallery | Beverly Hillbillies Wiki | Fandom 

3.  Jack Dodson (1931-1994) - Find A Grave Memorial 

4.     Leave it to Beaver' actor Frank Bank dies at 71…… | dailyoddsandends 

5.      Pin on THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES 

6.  Final Years of 'Make Room for Daddy's Sid Melton 

7.  Ann Morgan Guilbert - Wikipedia 

8.  Steve Franken, Comedic Actor in 'Dobie Gillis,' Dies at 80 - The ... 

Steve Franken-- Chatsworth Osborne Jr-- Dobie Gillis

9.  Paul Brinegar | Western Series Wiki | Fandom 

10.  Silver Age Television 📺 on Twitter: "Remembering #MauriceGosfield ... 

Maurice Gosfield --Doberman

Sergeant Bilko/ the Phil Silvers show/ you'll never get rich

Those three were my favorites.

I know all of them, they are all shows I watched. I'll just name a few for now.

2. Skip Young was Wally, Ricky's frat brother on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet ( I want re-runs, wish they'd show them

3. Jack Dodson he was Howard Sprague on The Andy Griffith Show

4. Frankl Bank was Lumpy Rutherford on Leave ItTo Beaver

7. Ann Guilbert- she was Millie Halper Rob and Laura's neighbor and Jerry's wife on The Dick Van Dyle Show, she's was also Fran Drescher's grandma Yetta in The Nanny and later she was Sophia Loren's mother in Grumpier Old Men

• Like 1

Very good, Ladies.  We still need #5, 6, and 9. 

#5 played a neighbor, but not necessarily a friend, of the stars.  #6 was in several series, but in this photo he played a friend and business associate of the star.  #9, as you can tell, was in a western.