Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miles, don't know why there isnlt more participation considering how easy these photos are.

#5.  Harriet MacGibbon- she was Mrs. Drysdale, the Clampetts neighbor on the Beverly Hillbilies

#6. Is Sid Melton - he was Charlie Halper on make Room for Daddy, he was also Sal, Sophia's husband on the Golden Girls and Alf Monroe on Green Acres

• Like 1

I purposely made them pretty easy in hopes of getting more people involved.  I can only conclude that Lavender, Princess, and I are the only ones on these boards who remember these old shows.  Hopefully, someone out there can prove me wrong. 

We have them all now.  Princess got four and Lavender got six so Lavender gets to post next.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I enjoy reading this threat/post.  I was trying to figure out Mrs. Drysdale. I'm trying to remember who Alf was.  Loved that Arnold Z.

Never got into Andy Griffith but knew who he was.  Remember watching Make Room for Daddy (did two different actresses play his wife?).

Sid Melton as Alf Monroe was the painter. He and LOL "Ralph" the female plumber. they use to show up together, handypeople. Yes Jean Hagen ( Singin In the Rain, Jean Hagen) was Danny's first wife, they killed her off and Marjorie Lord became his 2nd wife after a courtship that was played out on the show.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I remembered Marjorie Lord (and Alf and Ralph) but I never knew the multitalented Jean Hagen was his first wife.  Jean Hagen is one of the best things about Singin in the Rain; great in noir films and very funny as the other woman in Adam's Rib.

Jean left the show after the first few seasons. danny wanted a more glamourous look for his wife and couldnlt stand Jean thought she looked sloppy. He didnlt want her as the wife in the first place. He then had her character killed off so she couldn;lt return and Marjorie Lord became his 2nd wife on the show after they courted on the show. that's what I've read

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/28/2020 at 11:32 AM, MilesArcher said:

I purposely made them pretty easy in hopes of getting more people involved.  I can only conclude that Lavender, Princess, and I are the only ones on these boards who remember these old shows.  Hopefully, someone out there can prove me wrong. 

We have them all now.  Princess got four and Lavender got six so Lavender gets to post next.  

I think it's because there are just so many threads that take little effort now . Too bad, because it's a fun thread and takes knowledge and some research if the answer isn't obvious, Very disappointing. Wish some of our old posters were back and there weren't  so many oif these list  type threads.

next

A classic tv show that had very good ratinmgs was cancelled anyway after just one season and it had a great theme song to boot that's considered a classic.TV show ? Extra bonus points for nthe reason the show was cancelled and the co-star of both tv shows ?????

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I think it's because there are just so many threads that take little effort now . Too bad, because it's a fun thread and takes knowledge and some research if the answer isn't obvious, Very disappointing. Wish some of our old posters were back and there weren't  so many oif these list  type threads.

next

A classic tv show that had very good ratinmgs was cancelled anyway after just one season and it had a great theme song to boot that's considered a classic.TV show ?

Not only little effort, but with no interactivity with others. Just think up three, four, five, six - word titles all day long. It's certainly a good way to bolster post count (for those who are obsessed with that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've stopped posting in some of the number of word titles.  I enjoy the retro quizzes because I learn something.  Would like to see what answer is.  Thought it might be the show with Dick Van Dyke's brother but it was a ratings and critical disaster.

It takes me too long to manipulate my computer to run pictures, but I remember that a lot of many actors and actresses became pitchmen and women.  I had to look up who played Josephine the Plumber the other day (Jane Withers).  I remember several others, including one actress who was eventually considered an "abomination" by the man who took over P&G.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

next

A classic tv show that had very good ratings was cancelled anyway after just one season and it had a great theme song to boot that's considered a classic.  TV show ?  extra bonus points for the reason the show was cancelled and the co-star in both tv  shows ????

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Ross Martin?  He was a co-star on "Mr. Lucky", which lasted one season, and later on "The Wild, Wild West".  "Mr. Lucky" was cancelled because the sponsor pulled out and the network was unable to find another.

Correct Miles. Mr. Lucky was cancelled after 1 season despite very high ratings! The beautiful theme song is a standard still used after all these years. Ross Martin was the actor in both Mr. Lucky and  The Wild Wild West. Good work, it's your thread.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Just saw that theme song was written by Henry Mancini (but didn't recognize it).

Don't know how old you are but the theme song for Mr. Lucky has been played in every elevator, everywhere for decades lol. Yes, it's Henry Mancini and it's a lovely piece of music.

Miles it's still your thread.

• Like 1

Thanks, Lavender.  From the initial clues I was thinking of Robert Conrad, who was in "Hawaiian Eye" and "The Wild, Wild West", but "Hawaiian Eye" ran more than one season, so I forgot about "The Wild, Wild West" until the last clue came up.

Now, many movies have been adapted as TV series.  In another series that ran for only one season, Buddy Ebsen played a role that had been played in a movie by a three time  Oscar winning actor.  However, the actor did not win for that movie.  Can you name the TV series and the name of the character?

• Like 1

You are correct, Chaya.  Buddy Ebsen did the series in the late 1950's, a few years before "The Beverly Hillbillies" made him a household name.  Walter Brennan had played the role in the 1940 movie.

Buddy Ebsen Northwest Passage Posters and Photos 102178 | Movie Store 

Pin by Dorothy Devillier on Walter Brennen | Actors, Best supporting actor,  Character actor 

Good work, Chaya.  You get to post the next question.  

I'd like to try one.  In the Elvis concert film That's the Way It Is (1970) what classic movie actor was shown in the audience before the show and backstage after the concert speaking with Elvis?  This major actor had retired by then with his last movie in 1966.  He received an Honorary Oscar in 1970 .

38 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I'd like to try one.  In the Elvis concert film That's the Way It Is (1970) what classic movie actor was shown in the audience before the show and backstage after the concert speaking with Elvis?  This major actor had retired by then with his last movie in 1966.  

Cary Grant

• Like 1