Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great job!  (Thank you to Lavender and Princess for responding.)  Just one left...

#8  Liberty Bell March written by John Philips Sousa.    A very familiar tune associated with a British comedy sketch show (1969-1974) featuring a dead parrot, silly walks,  and Spam.  

11 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Great job!  (Thank you to Lavender and Princess for responding.)  Just one left...

#8  Liberty Bell March written by John Philips Sousa.    A very familiar tune associated with a British comedy sketch show (1969-1974) featuring a dead parrot, silly walks,  and Spam.  

Benny Hill

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Benny Hill

Good guess!   But this show's cast includes John Cleese, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman.  The cast from this show went on to make movies about the Holy Grail and The Life of Brian .

Thanks Peebs :)

Although many think this actor was Italian, he was Jewish. He was a stage, film actor  and known for his iconic tv role. He appeared in some films with Sinatra, Bette Davis, Tony Curtis, Mickey Rooney. His long running tv show is legendary. Actor and his famous tv show ??

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

If we are allowed to ask questions:  1) was he the star of the show?  2) did the show run in the 1970's or earlier?  I was thinking of someone but his first name is definitely Jewish (and his TV show only ran a season or two).

No, you need to wait for clues. I'll give you this, yes, he was the star. If you have a guess  just post it.  With a guess you get the next clue. btw, please post the next one in movie songs, you forgot to post the next one.

Sounds like the one and only Columbo to me...Peter Falk.  He was in The Great Race with Tony Curtis,  Robin and the Seven Hoods with Sinatra,  Pocketful of Miracles with Bette Davis It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with Rooney (and lots of other stars).  Loved his 'Sam Diamond' in Murder by Death...didn't love his character in the hot mess, Tune in Tomorrow...

8 hours ago, shutoo said:

Sounds like the one and only Columbo to me...Peter Falk.  He was in The Great Race with Tony Curtis,  Robin and the Seven Hoods with Sinatra,  Pocketful of Miracles with Bette Davis It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with Rooney (and lots of other stars).  Loved his 'Sam Diamond' in Murder by Death...didn't love his character in the hot mess, Tune in Tomorrow...

Yes it's Peter Falk and the one and only great  Columbo. Although most thought Peter was Italian probably because of Columbo, Peter Falk was Jewish. Perfect casting for the long running tv show Columbo.  Good thinking Shutoo, your thread :)

• Like 1

A few questions about The Dick Van Dyke Show...some may trip you up (ouch, I know, bad...)

1. Sally appears 3 times on what late night talk show?  Who played the host? (2 names)
2. What does Fiona explain to Mr. Tripp?
3. In season one, Rob's brother is supposedly engaged...but in season 4, he's writing to a woman using what famous name?
4. What's the avant garde play Laura sees without Rob?
5. The song Me and My Shadow is a clue to what valuable item?
6. Laura saves money to buy Rob what make of car? What car does he actually buy (in another episode)?
7. What prizes does Laura win on Pay As You Go?
8. What company does Rob work for when he's temporarily laid off? What do they produce?
9. Carl Reiner has over 30 credits for the show...for most of them he's unseen.  He played 3 characters whose face we actually see..name them.
10. Sally and her date Ric Vallone go on a quest to find...what?
11. What does Laura's 'favorite cousin' do for a living?
12. What's the relevance of the Louis Wexler water fountain?
13. What stage names do Buddy and Sally use when they're moonlighting at a mountain resort?
14. Laura gives her mother in law a piece of jewelry, and receives one from her...what are these distinctive pieces?
15.What's Buddy's dog's name? Sally's cat?
16. What street do the Petri's live on?
17. Where does Buddy's brother live?  What does his uncle do for a living?
18. Where does Rob claim to be Antonio Stradivarius, and what does he give to a woman there?
19. Why does Rob give Jerry $37.50 every year?
20. Where do the Petri's first meet? Where is Laura from? What's the song they first dance to?

• Like 1

Wow! An impressive list of questions, Shutoo.

4.  Waiting for an Armadillo ("Up down, yes no.  Should I stay of should I go...")

5.  His uncle Hezekiah's baby picture from 1863 with Abe Lincoln in the background

9.  Alan Brady, the artist Sergi Carpetna who painted a nude picture of Laura, and the poet Yale Sampson 

15.  Larry was Buddy's German shepherd  and  Mr. Henderson was Sally's cat .  

19.  A "friendship" check to split a yearly maintenance.  When they bought their houses at the same time, Rob's had a giant rock in the basement that floods Jerry's.  

• Like 1

I haven't watched this show since I was in Elementary School.

But I can answer number 20)

Rob and Laura Met through the USO when Rob was in the Army and Laura was a performer.

On this episode Laura performs a song and dance to  Rodgers and Hart's "Mountain Greenery".

Mary was a pretty good dancer. But Dick Van Dyke was a very good dancer.

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I haven't watched this show since I was in Elementary School.

But I can answer number 20)

Rob and Laura Met through the USO when Rob was in the Army and Laura was a performer.

On this episode Laura performs a song and dance to  Rodgers and Hart's "Mountain Greenery".

Mary was a pretty good dancer. But Dick Van Dyke was a very good dancer.

Yes, she was a dancer in the uso show...but, no, Mountain Greenery was from a different episode 

----

I guess sometimes I forget not everyone lives in the bizarro world of old sitcoms like me, 😊

1. Steve Parson ( I think)

3. James Garner

14. Rob's mother gives Laura  a Broach I think  and Laura gives Rob's mother that Carlotta Necklace ??

15. Buddy's dog name was Larry, a German shepard I think and Sally's cat was Mr. Henderson

16. Bonniemeadow Rd, they lived in New Rochelle

I think the song Laura and Rob sing is You Wonderful You ?

?????

• Like 1

(We've been watching the reruns recently, so some of these are fresh in my memory.  Some I had to let marinate ...)

2.  Fiona is Buddy's wife, Pickles.  She explains to Mr. Tripp (at a party?) that everyone in her neighborhood named Fiona was nicknamed Pickles.  She was the only Fiona in her neighborhood.

12.  Rob loses a script.  He has to meet the  guy who found it and is holding it for ransom.  He's meeting him at the Louis Wexler water fountain in a park.

18.  Rob has temporary amnesia and ends up at a party in Red Hook, NJ.  He gives a girl there raisin cake (raisin bread?) who sleeps with it under her pillow.

• Like 1

13. Gilbert and Solomon were the names Sally and Buddy used in the lodge in the Catskills they were performing in. I remember some of these episodes from a million years ago. It's funny though, I watched the episode when Laura is on that show and reveals Alan's wearing a toupee but I can't remember what prizes she won and that was only a month or so ago LOL- probably kitchen appliances.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 12:36 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Steve Parson ( I think)

part two...the two actors who played Stevie Parsons?

On 9/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, Peebs said:

2.  Fiona is Buddy's wife, Pickles.  She explains to Mr. Tripp (at a party?) that everyone in her neighborhood named Fiona was nicknamed Pickles.  She was the only Fiona in her neighborhood.

I thought this would be a toughie!  It's the only time we hear Pickle's real name, portrayed twice by Barbara Perry, then 3 times (with slightly bigger role) by Joan Shawlee

let's see...I think 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 17, and the first two parts of 20 are still open...I'll try to give some clues if no one can recall...

• Like 1

6.   Laura was saving to buy Rob  an "XKG JFK 400 Roadster with matching luggage" and Rob gets a Tarantula.  (I remembered the Tarantula because James Dean  died in a Spyder.)

7.  A dryer, a vacuum  a rotisserie, and a projector.  

8.  I remember parts of this one....The company goes on strike his first day.  He has to write something like the technical manual or catalog for something in manufacturing.   TV tubes?

17.  Buddy's brother Blacky was a pool shark but I don't know where he's from.  (Chicago? A guess.)   Buddy's uncle owned a shoe store, I think.

20.  Was it Camp Crowder, MO?  I can't remember where Laura's from.  Somewhere in the Midwest?    (Rob, I think, was Danville, IL Van Dyke's real hometown. )