Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, Peebs.  It was the Chesterfield 101 that was a silly millimeter longer.  Good work!

Pin on The Swingin' Sixties 2   

Thanks to all who played.  Princess got six, Lavender got five, and Peebs got four.  You know what that means.  Princess gets to go next.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Believe it or not, I used to listen to the radio before rock and roll ruled the airwaves. In the mid-fifties before rock ruled, there were some nice Tunes out there that I heard on the radio and my mother even had some on 78rpm records.

Let's see if you can name the recording artists who had hit records with these songs without peeking at Google. 

( Some artists may be mentioned more than once.)

1) Mambo Italiano

2) Papa Loves Mambo

3) The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane

4) This Ole House

5) Hold My Hand

6) Love and Marriage

7) Count Your Blessings

Eight) Haji Baba

9) Look, Homeward Angel

10)Standing on the Corner

My mom had the radio on too and my parents loved popular music,later  we had a stereo in the living room and tons of albums, so as a little girl I knew some of these.

1. Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney

2. Papa Loves Mama - Perry Como

6. Love and Marriage - Frank Sinatra

10. Standing On the Corner( wacthing all the girls go by)- We had the album Mpst Happy Fella but the  Four Lads had a hit with the song

• Like 1
19 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

My mom had the radio on too and my parents loved popular music,later  we had a stereo in the living room and tons of albums, so as a little girl I knew some of these.

10. Standing On the Corner( wacthing all the girls go by)- We had the album Mpst Happy Fella but the  Four Lads had a hit with the song

Lav-- good job with four of these correct.

Everybody, we've got six more to go!

8 hours ago, shutoo said:

4. I don't know if his was the only version, but my dad had a Tennessee Ernie Ford LP with that on it 

A Tennessee Ernie Ford cover of "This Ole House" would not surprise me on an LP, like in my time everybody even Frank Sinatra recorded "Moon River".

But "This Ole House" was a big hit record for one very significant 50s recording artist... 

At this time period, the "Old Pea Picker" himself was becoming very famous for the song "Sixteen Tons".

#3 The Naughty Lady Of  Shady Lane was a hit for the Ames brothers

#7 - Count Your Blessings was, of course, sung by Bing Crosby in  "White Christmas". Bing recorded it, but I seem to recall that Eddie Fisher had a hit record with the song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

#3 The Naughty Lady Of  Shady Lane was a hit for the Ames brothers

#7 - Count Your Blessings was, of course, sung by Bing Crosby in  "White Christmas". Bing recorded it, but I seem to recall that Eddie Fisher had a hit record with the song.

Miles, good going.

Everybody, We still have 4 more to go.

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

9. is Johnnie Ray (There's No Business Like Show Businesses)

5. Dick Powell sang a version of Hold My Hand in Susan Slept Here

Chaya-- # 9 is correct.

#5 was Don Cornell who had a hit record with the Oscar-nominated "Hold My Hand", which Debbie Reynolds listened to on the radio in "Susan Slept Here".

Thanks everybody for their participation. Like they always say, the more the merrier.

Now Lav identified the most recording artists: 4--

So she is up next.....

On 11/18/2020 at 9:28 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess

next

Even thugh this classic comedy tv show was a hit, the co-star  ( Emmy winner for a different show  years later)) said that he regretted doing this tv show. He was friends with his co-star and made money but he felt it slowed his career down for years since so many identified him with the role. He had been a supporting actor in quite a few famous films.  His co-star had 2 hit tv shows after this show. TV show, and the 2 stars ??

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The star who regretted taking the role on the hit tv comedy had a Broadway career, he was a Tony Award winner. He was a film actor too. Some of the  actors he worked with in films were Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon, Lee Marvin

Is it Ray Walston in My Favorite Martian with Bill Bixby?

52 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Is it Ray Walston in My Favorite Martian with Bill Bixby?

Yes, it is Ray Walston and My Favorite Martian. He said he regretted taking the role. although the money was good and he was friends with Bill Bixby but the role made him so recognizable as Uncle Martin that it stalled his career for a few years. He was in Spain and someone called him Uncle Martin and put 2 fingers behind his head as antennas LOL. Good work Peebs, you're up next

• Like 2

Thanks!  Interesting question, Lavender.

Let's see how this goes.  Can you name the classic movie actors who starred in these Rankin and Bass holiday specials?  Some are easier than others:

1.   Sam the Snowman in  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964) 

Sam the Snowman | Christmas yard art, Red nosed reindeer, Classic christmas  movies

2.    Seymour S. Sassafras/Antoine/Col. Wellington B. Bunny in Here Comes Peter Cottontail (1971)

Here Comes Peter Cottontail: Seymour S. Sassafras Clip (1971) - Video  Detective | Here comes peter cottontail, Peter cottontail, Stop motion

3.   Kris Kringle in Santa Clause is Coming to Town (1970)

Mickey Rooney | Santa claus is coming to town, Christmas cartoons, Kris  kringle

4.   Mrs. Santa in The Year Without Santa Clause (1974)  

This Christmas, Mrs. Claus deserves better

5..  Father Time in Rudolph's Shiny New Year (1976)

rudolph's shiny new year-1976...Red Skelton as Father Time | Father time,  Rudolph's shiny new year, Newyear

6..  S.D. Kluger, the narrator in The Easter Bunny is Comin' to Town (1977)

Pin on Seasons/Holidays-Easter/Spring

Great!  We just have #2 and 5 left.    Both are very familiar names and look like their animated characters above.

#2  Starred in movie musicals and comedies. Also philanthropist working with UNICEF.   He co-starred in a 1954 Christmas classic.

#5  Starred in movie comedies, had his own radio and TV show.   He also painted over 1,000 pictures of clowns.