Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is Retro and Shutoo is up.....

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:
  On 11/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, Peebs said:

Thanks to all who responded!  Shutoo got three, Lavender got two, and Princess one.  

That's correct, Princess.   Shutoo got the most correct (three) from the quiz I posted here (Retro Trivia) way back around Thanksgiving.  (About the holiday animated specials and voice actors.) 

I'll leave the thread open since it's been over a month.

• Thanks 1
On 12/31/2020 at 8:23 AM, Peebs said:

That's correct, Princess.   Shutoo got the most correct (three) from the quiz I posted here (Retro Trivia) way back around Thanksgiving.  (About the holiday animated specials and voice actors.) 

I'll leave the thread open since it's been over a month.

Shutoo, do you want to post one or pass. Please answer

5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Shutoo, do you want to post one or pass. Please answer

Since it's been over a month, I think we could consider it an open thread for anyone to post a question.  

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Since it's been over a month, I think we could consider it an open thread for anyone to post a question.  

I agree, understand why though. so many, many threads keep showing up pushing threads to page 3 where they are forgotten., I'll bet shutoo didn't get to see that it was her thread because it was pushed so far down in the multitude of threads.  I don't care one way or the other anymore.  Peebs has decided, the Thread is Open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Next:

This sci-fi / horror movie was a favorite for the *Baby Boomers.

So much so that there was a sequel and a remake.

Originally, an iconic Golden Age Hollywood actor was to star in this film.

But he died before production began and was replaced by another legendary Hollywood actor.

Ironically, this actor also replaced the deceased actor in his home, as he married the actor's widow.

We need the name of the movie, the two actors and the lady referenced above.

###

*(Also, I wonder how many of us have seen the original, the sequel and/or the remake?

I've only seen the original movie.)

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This sci-fi / horror movie was a favorite for the *Baby Boomers.

So much so that there was a sequel and a remake.

Originally, an iconic Golden Age Hollywood actor was to star in this film.

But he died before production began and was replaced by another legendary Hollywood actor.

Ironically, this actor also replaced the deceased actor in his home, as he married the actor's widow.

We need the name of the movie, the two actors and the lady referenced above.

###

*(Also, I wonder how many of us have seen the original, the sequel and/or the remake?

I've only seen the original movie.)

Village of the Damned - George Sanders took the role over when Ronald Colman passed. George was married to Benita Hume, Colman's widow. Benita was also an actress. I've  seen  the original and the original sequel Children of The Damned. Never saw the remake. I saw Village of the Damned when it was first released at the Bainbrofge Movie Theater in the Bronx.

• Like 2

Lav, great answer about a truly unique and memorable movie.

Now, maybe we can keep this thread off page 3.😀

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Village of the Damned - George Sanders took the role over when Ronald Colman passed. George was married to Benita Hume, Colman's widow. Benita was also an actress. I've  seen  the original and the original sequel Children of The Damned. Never saw the remake. I saw Village of the Damned when it was first released at the Bainbrofge Movie Theater in the Bronx.

Lav, Your turn.....

A main character's name in a hit classic tv series was taken from a popular novel with the author's blessing,. The novel was made into an iconic film that's still enjoyed today. TV Show and the character's name and the actor who played him, the novel and film the name was taken from ???

One of the co-stars was an actor in many classic films before this role in this tv show. He was the 3rd lead in the tv show .He is NOT the one with the character name that was used in the novel and very famous film.

edited by me.

22 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Is it The Man From Uncle?  David Mc. became a bit of a heartthrob and his Ilya K. character was once referenced on NCIS.  Leo G. Carroll acted in many movies (including several Hitchcock films).

On 1/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

A main character's name in a hit classic tv series was taken from a popular novel with the author's blessing,. The novel was made into an iconic film that's still enjoyed today. TV Show and the character's name and the actor who played him, the novel and film the name was taken from ???

Please look at the original question and answer it completly, Thanks. It is The Man From Uncle, however you did not answer this question completly. Info about David McCallum and Leo G Carroll were Clues, not the answer to the question.  The question is about The Man From Uncle, not NCIS. Can't give it to you till it's completed. Who is the actor in the tv show and what novel/film was his character name taken from ??

Here's a hint. Think about the TV show, think about a novel and film very popular and iconic that would be the same sort of genre as the tv show. It's obvious who the actor is. I already wrote there were 3 main characters on the tv show. You named the other 2 using the clues, who was the 3rd lead in the show. The actor was in movies with Paul Newman, James Coburn, William Holden, Steve McQueen

Robert Vaughn as Napolian Solo in The Man From Uncle. Ian Fleming gave the show his blessing to use the name Solo, the name of a character in Goldfinger and  Fleming consulted on the show. Thanks for finishing the question by answering it completly.  Yes Vaughn was in The Young Philadelphians with Newman. Robert Vaughn was also in The Magnificent Seven with James Coburn and Steve McQueen and  Bullitt and The Towering Inferno  with Steve McQueen, William Holden and Paul Newman . The Girl From Uncle was the spin-off of The Man From Uncle. Now it's your turn  to post one.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, chaya bat woof woof said:

Sorry, the character is Solo, played by Robert Vaughn.  He is a minor character (Solo) in Ian Fleming's Goldfinger.  Evidently, Cubby Broccoli threated to sue.  Yes, Paul Newman and Robert Vaughn are in The Young Philadelphians (great film).

You're answer is correct and it's your turn to post one .

I am passing (especially since I may not be on the board much this upcoming week).  I remember Rex's son, Noel Harrison on The Girl from Uncle.  Robert Vaughn later turned up as a recurring character who was bipolar on the original Law & Order (used to be a friend of Adam Schiff/S. Hill until a case involving his grandson).

Here is a list of characters from some vintage TV series.  Can you name the shows that they were on as well as the actors and actresses who portrayed them?  These shows were all on during the 1950's and some extended into the 1960's.  If you are of a certain age, you will probably remember quite a few.  If you are a bit younger, then ask an old person.  That's what I had to do to come up with this list.  You don't really think that I'm old enough to remember all of these shows, do you?   (You don't have to answer that!) 

1.  Sock Miller

2.  Lieutenant Rip Masters  

3.  Jimmy Olson

4.  Lofty Craig

5.  Rex Randolph

6.  Casey Jones

7.  Marshal Simon Fry

8.  Officer Frank Smith

9.  Cricket Blake

10. Chief Dan Mathews

11. Ellen Miller

12. Detective Lt. Frank Ballinger

13. Michael Anthony

14. Vint Bonner

15. Josh Randall

16. Jim Hardie

17. Major Seth Adams

18. Susanna Pomeroy

19. Susie McNamara

20. Mike Nelson

2. Rin Tin Tin - James Brown

3   The Adventures of Superman - Jack Larson

6.   Casey Jones - Alan Hale

10. Highway Patrol - Broderick Crawford

11. Lassie - Jan Clayton

13. The Millionaire - Marvin Miller

15. Wanted Dead or Alive - Steve McQueen

correction #18. Oh Susanna - Gale Storm

I'll admit it, I'm old I've seen all these shows and remember them LOL

Very good so far, ladies.  "Oh, Susanna" with Gale Storm is actually #18, but we all know what you meant.  You actually had a choice for Casey Jones.  During the same time that Alan Hale Jr. was playing the legendary railroad engineer, Beverly Garland was playing a police woman with the name Casey Jones on a show called "Decoy".  I was going to save that bit of trivia for another time, but I figured no one would know it.   Beverly Garland was just seen on TCM this past Saturday in the "Bomba, The Jungle Boy" movie.  That's when I got the idea for this question 

We still have several left to solve.  #4, 7, 14, 16, and 17 are all characters from westerns.  #5, 8, and 12 are all from crime dramas.   #5, Rex Randolph, was the name of a detective on a show that got canceled after one season.  The character, and the actor who played him, then moved to another Warner Bros, detective series as a semi-regular character for a couple of years.

• Thanks 1