Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miles, I'm embarrassed to say that you had to jog my memory on this one. He was one of my special favorites.ūü§£

5) Rex Randolph was Richard Long on"Bourbon Street Beat".

I'm going to go out on a limb for #12. My dad liked "M Squad" with Lee Marvin. I always left when it came on, but I think that's Detective Lt Frank Ballinger.

Well, I've certainly kept Princess and Lavender busy for a couple of days.  So far, everything is correct, which is commendable.  We still haven't seen a response for #4 Lofty Craig.  Perhaps I should have used his official title of Deputy Sheriff Lofty Craig.  He was in a fifties western series that featured a horse named Target.   That may be enough of a clue.  Any guesses? 

Yes, it's Brad Johnson.  Here he is with Gail Davis, who played Annie Oakley, and Jimmy Hawkins who played her little brother, Tagg.

image.jpeg.08ec165e1ec3db3d74ee5ae47ad7c482.jpeg

I hope you all enjoyed this little trip down memory lane.  Lavender got the most, so she gets the thread.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Miles

next

This actress appeared on many tv shows in many roles thru the decades. In supporting roles as a regular and more than a few times as the same supporting role in episodes as a guest. She played a wife on at least 1 tv show, she played a sister on a tv show, she played an aunt on a tv show, she played a mother on all the shows except for her role as an aunt and she played a grandmother on a tv show all in the classic retro time period (1950-1970's) Who was the actress, the tv shows and her role in each show ( big extra bonus for her character name in each tv show) please name different shows for each of her roles  as wife, sister, aunt, mother and grandmother ???????????

On 1/14/2021 at 10:21 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles

next

This actress appeared on many tv shows in many roles thru the decades. In supporting roles as a regular and more than a few times as the same supporting role in episodes as a guest. She played a wife on at least 1 tv show, she played a sister on a tv show, she played an aunt on a tv show, she played a mother on all the shows except for her role as an aunt and she played a grandmother on a tv show all in the classic retro time period (1950-1970's) Who was the actress, the tv shows and her role in each show ( big extra bonus for her character name in each tv show) please name different shows for each of her roles  as wife, sister, aunt, mother and grandmother ???????????

Well, I better get that big extra bonus for all the work that I had to do for this answer.  I racked my brain thinking of many older actresses from Bea Benaderet to Ellen Corby.  After the final clues, I finally settled on Rosemary DeCamp, who made a career out of playing mothers.

She played Nellie Cohan, mother of George M. Cohan in the movie "Yankee Doodle Dandy", which won a Best Actor Oscar for it's star, James Cagney.

She played Peg Riley, wife of Chester and mother of Babs and Junior in the original series called "The Life Of Riley".  The show, which starred Jackie Gleason as Chester, was cancelled before the first season ended because the sponsor pulled out.  A later version starred William Bendix and Marjorie Reynolds.

On "The Bob Cummings Show", she played Bob's widowed sister, Margaret McDonald.  Her son was played by Dwayne Hickman, the future star of "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis".

When Bea Benaderet got sick and had to miss time on "Petticoat Junction", Rosemary was brought in as Aunt Helen, sister of Kate Bradley and aunt to the three Bradley girls.

She played Ann Marie's mother, Helen Marie,  on "That Girl", which meant that she also played the wife of Lew Marie.  Marlo Thomas played Ann.

Then she had a recurring role on "The Partridge Family" as Grandma Amanda Renfrew, mother of Shirley Partridge, played by Shirley Jones,  and grandmother of the Partridge Kids.

Let's see now, did I get all the parts of the question? 

Rosemary Decamp - Turner Classic Movies

Oh yes, she also did commercials on "Death Valley Days", for many years.

Pin by The Vintage Resource on Vintage Commercials: in 2020 | Tv commercials,  20 mule team borax, Classic tv   

20+ Borax History ideas | 20 mule team borax, borax, history

Yes, it's Rosemary DeCamp and yes you covered all the bases I asked for Miles.

Life of Riley, The Bob Cummings Show,  Petticoat Junction, That Girl, The Partridge Family. 1950's -1970's Rosemary DeCamp certainly was a fixture on classic TV and certainly warranted a question in this Retro thread., A Lovely actress. Besides Walter Huston's wife and Cagney's mom in Yankee Doodle Dandy, she was Leon Ames wife and Doris Day's and Billy Gray's mom in On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon, that was my next clue.

Funny, I thought it was an easy question, especially when I gave The Bob Cummings Show clue about Dwayne Hickman  and his Many Loves of Dobbie Gillis show and Yankee Doodle Dandy I knew would clinch it. Even if the answer wasn't obvious some research would come up with the answer so I appreciate you taking the time to do that, just as I do for some of the questions posted here. Thanks again, Miles. You get lots of bonus points in my book and it's your turn 

Whew, that answer took so much out of me that I had to take some time away from the boards. 

Now, here is a list of songs that I compiled that were the number one songs at the end of each year in the 50's and 60's.  It doesn't mean that they were the top songs of the year.  They were the top songs at the last poll in December of each year, which means they were fairly new and were getting a lot of play on radio stations.  All you have to do is identify the artist or artists who performed the song on the record.   Remember, some songs were recorded by several different artists.  I'm looking for the people who had the hit record at the time. 

1950 - The Tennessee Waltz

1951 - Cry

1952 - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

1953 - Rags To Riches

1954 - Mr. Sandman

1955 - Sixteen Tons

1956 - Singing The Blues

1957 - April Love

1958 - The Chipmunk Song

1959 - Why?

1960 - Are You Lonesome Tonight?

1961 - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

1962 - Telstar

1963 - Dominique

1964 - I Feel Fine

1965 - Over And Over

1966 - I'm A Believer

1967 - Hello, Goodbye

1968 - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

1969 - Someday We'll Be Together

Remember, these are not necessarily the top songs of the year,  They are the top songs the week that the survey was made.  How many can you get?

LOL Miles, that'all be the day. I Don't believe you! In the meantime, I'm having computer issues so I'm answering this without checking dates  and versions of the songs on wiki

1950 -  Patti Page - Tennessee Waltz

1951.   Johnnie Ray and the Four Lads - Cry

1953,   Tony Bennett - Rags To Riches

1955.   Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons

1957    April Love - Pat Boone

1960    Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight

1964 - The Beatles - I Feel Fine

1966-  The Monkees - I'm A Believer

1967 - Hello Goodbye - The Beatles

1968    Marvin Gaye - Gladys Knight and The Pips also recorded this great song but I think it's Marvin's recording you're asking about

1969 -  Diana Ross and The Supremes

Terrific so far, everyone.  We're still looking for answers for1952 and 1959.  "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" was done by a youngster.  "Why?" was done by one of those "teen idol" fellows.  You may have thought that the title was "Why? because I love you".  

Let's stick with more old hit records--

These were some of my favorite records in the olden days, that means before we had color TV.ūü§£

Without Googling, how many can you match up with The original recording artist, and/or the one who had the  Billboard hit?

1) What Did'y put in that kiss?

2)  Two Different Worlds

3) It's Delightful to be married

4) Never in a million years

5) Willie and the Hand Jive

6) What's Your name?

7) The Angels Listened In

ūüė鬆eight) Hey, Girl

9)  Keep your hands off my baby

10) Hey, Jealous Lover

11) Don't You Believe It

12) Where Are You?

13) A Hundred Pounds of Clay

14) Go Away, Little Girl

15) Lollipops and Roses

16) It Started all over again

17) The Battle of New Orleans

18) Up the lazy river

19) Blue on Blue

20) 24 Hours from Tulsa

Hint:  All records from the 50s and early 60s--

No British Invasion! LOL

James, This  is not Gen Discussions, you can't just jump in and post unless it's an answer to the question posted. It's distracting and makes it difficult to refer to the question posted. If you want to play games and trivia, then you need to post an answer to the question posted.  Don't know why you posted that photo. Please remove the above photo you posted.

6. What's Your Name - Don and Juan

7. The Angels Listened In -  The Crests.

8.  Hey Girl - Freddie Scott

9.  Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Little Eva

10.  Hey Jealous Lover - Frank Sinatra

11.   Don't You Believe It - Andy Williams

13. 100 Pounds of Clay - Gene McDaniels

14. Go Away Little Girl - Steve Lawrence

15. Lollipops and Roses - Jack Jones

17. Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

19. Blue On Blue - Bobby Vinton

• Like 1