Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

James, I'm thrilled if you want to participate in this thread.

Above are some of the remaining numbers that we still need recording artists for if you want to take a stab at it.

BTW-- I gave my selections and you'll have an opportunity to give yours, after you have correctly answered a question. But I would never have picked a crappy mediocre song from The Cascades.😎

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

James, I'm thrilled if you want to participate in this thread.

Above are some of the remaining numbers that we still need recording artists for if you want to take a stab at it.

BTW-- I gave my selections and you'll have an opportunity to give yours, after you have correctly answered a question. But I would never have picked a crappy mediocre song from The Cascades.😎

Sorry,  I was confused about what this thread was about.   I'll stay away,  since I don't like the vibe. 

Linda Scott had a bigger hit with the old Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein song "I've Told Every Little Star".  The story that I heard was when Kern was on his death bed, Hammerstein was at his side singing "I've Told Every Little Star".   The line "Never In a Million Years" is also contained in a song by Jimmie Rodgers called "Uh, Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again".  The line is "Never in a hundred, never in a thousand, never in a million years".

#3   When I watched "The Great Ziegfeld" on TV, the song "It's Delightful To Be Married" was featured.    I knew that the song was familiar to me for some reason.  I looked it up at the time and found that it was introduced by Anna Held, played by Louise Rainer, in the early 1900's.   I found that the reason it was familiar to me was because it was released in the 1950's or 1960's and became a modest hit for Giselle MacKenzie, who became a regular on "Your Hit Parade".

#24.  I better know this one.  "24 Hours From Tulsa" was done by Gene Pitney, who at one time lived about twenty miles from me in Rockville, Connecticut.  He was known as "The Rockville Rocket", a name he came to dislike.

• Like 2

It's getting hot now--

and we've almost got them all!

But we still need:

Hints.....

1) A big movie star

2) A popular singing recording artist of the day

5) Classic rock r&b performer who influenced The Beach Boys and George Thorogood

12) Famous blues singing recording artist

16) Famous singing rock /pop recording artist from a country background

18) Famous singing pop recording artist who was also a respected movie actor

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

5.  Willie and the Hand Jive - Johnny Otis

18. Up the Lazy River - Bobby Darin ?

#1--A big movie star who was also a very popular singing recording artist

#16--This retro singing recording artist had a Christmas hit which is still played every year.

And we still need#2 & #12.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:14 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Let's stick with more old hit records--

These were some of my favorite records in the olden days, that means before we had color TV.🤣

Without Googling, how many can you match up with The original recording artist, and/or the one who had the  Billboard hit?

1) What Did'y put in that kiss?

2)  Two Different Worlds

3) It's Delightful to be married

4) Never in a million years

5) Willie and the Hand Jive

6) What's Your name?

7) The Angels Listened In

😎 eight) Hey, Girl

9)  Keep your hands off my baby

10) Hey, Jealous Lover

11) Don't You Believe It

12) Where Are You?

13) A Hundred Pounds of Clay

14) Go Away, Little Girl

15) Lollipops and Roses

16) It Started all over again

17) The Battle of New Orleans

18) Up the lazy river

19) Blue on Blue

20) 24 Hours from Tulsa

Hint:  All records from the 50s and early 60s--

No British Invasion! LOL

I'm reposting your list. It's a royal pain going back and forth to page 1 to see the list and page 2 to post an answer.

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Is #16 Brenda Lee?

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. What'ya Put In That Kiss - is it Doris Day ?

2. Two Different Worlds - Don Rondo ?

And # 12 was the Queen of Blues Dinah Washington.

This was quite a stroll down memory lane for me.

Miles, you got 3 and thank you for your informative commentary.

Lav, you're the big winner with 16, and I bet you had some of those records too. So you're up next. 😆

Thanks Princess, most I knew but a couple I did get some help from wiki.

next

The main character in a classic tv series was first introduced in  an episode  on another classic tv show. The character in the episode of the first tv show and the other tv show were played by film and tv actors that were well known.  Both shows had famous guest stars that appeared in episodes.  Both shows, the character name and the 2 actors ?????

Time for giveaway clues.

The first show starred a famous actor who was in musicals, dramas, comedies and  famous noirs. He was also an exec producer and director  and the tv show's title has his name in it. The 2nd  tv show starred an actor who starred in a famous sci-fi movie and had a tv career in a famous role before this show. Please read all the clues and I'm sure you'll  come up with the answers.

From the first couple of clues, I figured that the first show was an anthology show that was hosted by a well known actor, but there were several on TV at the time like "Death Valley Days" with Ronald Reagan and "Thriller" with Boris Karloff.  The next couple of clues confused me until the last clue.  The first episode of "The Dick Powell Show" in 1961 was entitled "Who Killed Julie Greer?"  In it, Dick Powell plays millionaire police detective Amos Burke.  A couple of years after that episode, a new series, "Burke's Law" made it's debut with Gene Barry as Amos Burke.  Dick Powell had passed away by that time.  All of the episodes began with "Who Killed" followed by the name of the murder victim.  After a couple of years, the format was changed and the show was renamed "Amos Burke, Secret Agent".   That was done because of the popularity of secret agent movies and TV shows at that time.  However, the ratings were not good and the show was canceled.  Gene Barry had starred in the movie "The War Of The Worlds" in the fifties and later in the TV series "Bat Masterson". 

Image result for dick powell who killed julie greer

Dick Powell as Amos Burke

image.jpeg.80913dc952bcd2654afdae5cca042953.jpeg 

Gene Barry as Amos Burke   

• Like 1

All correct, not sure why you were confused though. Clues were clear and you did arrive at the correct conclusion. Dick Powell played Amos Burke in the episode Who Killed Julie Greer. on his tv show Dick Powell Theater (Show) Two years later Gene Barry played Amos Burke in Burke's Law and Burke's Law was considered a spin-off of that episode when Dick played Amos Burke in that episode on The Dick Powell Show. Glad you figured it out, good work. Your thread Miles, here's hoping we get some participation.

Back in the day, it was not unusual for a network to introduce a character for a planned series in an existing series.  That might give the new show a bit of a ratings jump over the competition on the other networks.  This actually happened on "Burke's Law".  A private detective character was introduced on one episode and in the following season that character had their own series.  What was the name of the character and who was the star?  Here's a hint:  The new show only lasted for one season, and like Gene Barry, the star had previously appeared in a well known science fiction movie.

Honey West was the character and the star was Anne Francis.     The Honey West books were written by Gloria and Skip Fickling.    Gloria is still around living in Laguna Beach.  We are friends.    She has a room in her home dedicated to all things Honey West.     Note that Aaron Spelling was the producer of both shows.   Gloria claims Spelling canceled the show after a year because he didn't wish to pay them for creating the Honey West character, and that Spelling created Charlie's Angels stealing their idea of a female PI.

You are correct, James.   Anne Francis had previously appeared in "Forbidden Planet" and she and co-star John Erickson had worked together in "Bad Day At Black Rock".  On the show, Honey West had a pet ocelot named Bruce.  

Image result for honey west 

Image result for honey west 

Nice work, James.  Now it's your turn. 

• Like 1

Another 60s T.V.  spin off.   The lead character of the first T.V. show,  which started in the 50s,   was a producer,  singer,  entertainer and actor in a few films.    One of the guest stars of the show received his own show,  that was named after the actor.     This actor had a limit film career before T.V.  giving a great performance in a very cynical film. 

"The Danny Thomas Show", which had also been known as "Make Room For Daddy", served as a pilot film for "The Andy Griffith Show".  In the episode, Danny and his family are stopped in Mayberry by Sheriff Andy Taylor for not stopping at a stop sign.  Danny insists he is innocent and chooses jail time over a fine.  Ronny Howard plays Opie and Frances Bavier is on hand, but not as Aunt Bee .  She plays a local widow whose husband was buried in a rented suit and she is still paying fifty cents a day for it.  Andy Griffith had previously starred in a few movies, including "A Face In the Crowd".

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

"The Danny Thomas Show", which had also been known as "Make Room For Daddy", served as a pilot film for "The Andy Griffith Show".  In the episode, Danny and his family are stopped in Mayberry by Sheriff Andy Taylor for not stopping at a stop sign.  Danny insists he is innocent and chooses jail time over a fine.  Ronny Howard plays Opie and Frances Bavier is on hand, but not as Aunt Bee .  She plays a local widow whose husband was buried in a rented suit and she is still paying fifty cents a day for it.  Andy Griffith had preciously starred in a few movies, including "A Face In the Crowd".

You got it!  Just found this one this week when I was looking at spin offs related to the Burke's Law trivia.     Really enjoy watching Andy Griffith on ME-TV but I didn't know that the character was first on the Danny Thomas show.   Of course there were many spinoffs from Andy Griffith related to the town of Maybury.

Your turn!