Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks.  I was just thinking of how many old songs referenced animals in their titles.  Here, in no particular order, is a list of some which, I believe, are all from the fifties or sixties.  Can the name the artist or artists who had the hit record with each song?  Remember, some songs have been recorded by several different artists, so please give us the one with best known version.  For instance "Hound Dog" was was a hit for Elvis Presley, although it had been recorded previously by Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton.  How many of you knew that?  Here is the list:

1.  That Doggie In The Window

2.  Butterfly

3.  Mule Skinner Blues

4.  Teddy Bear

5.  Running Bear

6.  What's New, Pussycat?

7.  I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat

8.  Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport

9.  The Chipmunk Song

10. The Lion Sleeps Tonight

11. Pony Time

12. Rockin' Robin

13. Bird Dog

14. Shrimp Boats

15. Mockin' Bird Hill

16. See You Later, Alligator

17. The Birds And The Bees

18. Surfin' Bird

19. The Lonely Bull

20.  I've Got A Tiger By The Tail

See how many you can get without looking them up.

1.    That Doggie In The Window - Patti Page

6.    What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones

9.     The Chipmunk Song -  David Seville ( as Alvin and The Chipmunks)

10.  The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens

11.  Pony Time - Chubby Checker

12.  Rockin Robin - Bobby Day ( Michael Jackson did a good version)

13.  Bird Dog - The Everly Brothers

16.  See You Later Alligator -  Bill Haley and The Comets

Princess,  Frankie Laine sang "Mule Train", not "Mule Skinner Blues".  The song "Mule Skinner Blues" starts with the line "Good morning, Captain, good morning to you, hah, hah, hah, hah, hah, hah".   All others are correct. 

We also still need the artists for  "Running Bear", "Shrimp Boats", and "Mockin' Bird Hill".

18 hours ago, Peebs said:

15.  Mockin' Bird Hill by Patti Page ?

Yes, Peebs.  Les Paul and Mary Ford also had a recording of the song.  

Only a couple left!  "Running Bear", "Shrimp Boats" and "Mule Skinner Blues".  

"Mule Skinner Blues" was done by a group that named themselves after the brand of guitars that they played.

"Shrimp Boats" was done by a female former big band singer with Tommy Dorsey when Frank Sinatra was there.  She married bandleader Paul Weston. 

The singer of "Running Bear" also had a hit with "Cradle Of Love".

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who played this little game.  In case you may have forgotten, here are The Fendermen:

And of course, The Trashmen:

One thing's for sure, they don't write songs like they used to.

Lavender got the most, so she gets to go next.

• Like 1

Thanks Miles

next

He was a stage, screen and tv actor. In films he was a supporting actor. He appeared on many tv shows. There were 2 tv shows he was most famous for. He had a recurring role on a very popular classic hit tv show and the other he appeared on made him a household name. Actor , the 2 tv shows he's most known for and name a couple of the hit movies he had supporting roles in ?????

My first thought was Paul Lynde, but he had his own show..(not mentioned, so I may be off) of course, it wasn't a hit..best known for Bewitched  and Hollywood Squares.  Recreated his B'way role in Bye Bye Birdie, stole the scene in Send Me No Flowers

3 hours ago, shutoo said:

My first thought was Paul Lynde, but he had his own show..(not mentioned, so I may be off) of course, it wasn't a hit..best known for Bewitched  and Hollywood Squares.  Recreated his B'way role in Bye Bye Birdie, stole the scene in Send Me No Flowers

Paul Lynde is correct. When giving clues we don't  have to throw in the kitchen sink all at once LOL. his own show that only lasted 1 season was the next clue, but it certainly was not his greatest success nor something we think of when thinking of him. At any rate,  Bye Bye Birdie was the role he recreated for the film and the 2 tv shows he was especially known for were Hollywood Squares and Bewitched and I agree, he stole the scene in Send Me No Flowers. 
Excellent Shutoo, your turn to post one :)

What's their name?  Sometimes I see the same actors in different old tv shows over and over...and I can remember everything about them...except their name.  Name these supporting actors, clips taken from various tv gigs:

1.  Animated GIF

2. Animated GIF

3.  Animated GIF

4.  Animated GIF

5. Animated GIF

6.  Animated GIF

7.  Animated GIF

8.  Animated GIF

9, Animated GIF

10.  Animated GIF

#1 is James Callahan

#2 is Patricia Barry.  She had been using the name Patricia White before she married the son of playwrite Phillip Barry

#6 is Dick Elliott.  In the early days of "The Andy Griffith Show", he played Mayor Pike.

• Like 1

#3. Patricia Breslin - don't know what clip that is but she was Mandy on The People's Choice ( use to watch the show in re-runs when I was a little girl)

#5. Olive Deering ? I think I remember she was a waitress in an Alfred Hitchcock Presents

#7. Carmen Mathews - I think she was Lizzie Borden in an Alfred Hitchcock Presents

#9. Philip Coolridge - don't know what tv show although we've seen him lots of times, but I recognize him from The Tingler

• Like 1

#4 kind of looks like Frank Maxwell - he was in many TV shows but I remember him from General Hospital as a love interest for Nurse Jessica Brewer (who, in real life, was married to Jeffrey Hunter).  I have no idea where the clip of #4 is from (could be a Hitchcock TV episode).

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

#2 is Patricia Barry.  She had been using the name Patricia White before she married the son of playwrite Phillip Barry

To me, she was one of Perry Mason's most annoying clients...innocent, of course, but annoying ☺️

7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

#3. Patricia Breslin - don't know what clip that is but she was Mandy on The People's Choice ( use to watch the show in re-runs when I was a little girl)

In case you're curious, this clip was from The Twilight Zone episode about the fortune telling machine with a devil bobble-head

5 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I have no idea where the clip of #4 is from (could be a Hitchcock TV episode).

you're right!  ..he played the detective who suspects Paul Ford has killed his wife ("The Hatbox")

You guys are good.!  8 and 10 left...

here's a 'bonus' one that got lost in the shuffle...

11.  Animated GIF