25) Groucho Marx, You Bet Your Life

12.  Art James hosted Concentration

13.  Merv Griffin hosted Play Your Hunch

15.  Dick Clark hosted The 100,000 Pyramid

18.  Gene Rayburn, hosted The Match Game

19.  Peter Marshall hosted The Hollywood Squares

22.  Wink Martindale hosted Tic-Tac-Dough

24.  Burt Parks hosted Masquerade Party 

Dennis James hosted many game shows, including The Name's the Same, People Will Talk, and PDQ.

Everyone has done very well so far.  We still need #14 and #20.

#14 was an actor who was a frequent panelist on game shows.  He also hosted a couple of them including one where a panel of three celebrities, each playing for a member of the studio audience or a home viewer, tried to predict how the other celebrities answered questions in pre-recorded interviews.  They won money for the people they were playing for, and the audience member or home viewer who won the most money also won a vacation trip.

#20 took an old parlor game and played it with two teams of celebrities.

Yes, Larry Blyden hosted an early sixties  game show called  Personality.

Mike Stokey  played charades with celebrities.  The show was first called Pantomime Quiz.  It came back a few years later as Stump The Stars,

Here's an episode of Pantomime Quiz from around 1950.  It's interesting to hear what the stars were working on around that time.

Thanks to Princess, Peebs, Lavender, and Shutoo for playing.  Princess got the most so she gets to go next. 

• Like 1

Well, we've done sitcoms, westerns, private detectives, and game shows. The only thing left is my favorite: music/comedy variety shows.

You can match the description of the show with either the star performer or the title of the series.

1) This star was famous for a legendary sitcom, which he often featured in a sketch on his variety hour, in addition to his telling jokes and a regular troupe of dancing girls.

2) This singer was noted for his relaxed and easy going performance and had appeared in classic films before becoming a big hit on TV.

3) This performer relied on comedy sketches and musical guests to entertain the public. He had a small cast of comic regulars to perform in the sketches, along side him.

4) This performer had been popular on radio and brought his show to television successfully. He was easily a one-man show but often had famous guest stars in sketches.

5) This singer had appeared in classic movies but became a household name with her variety show, sponsored by an American car company.

6) This performer was a big star on Broadway and in the movies. His variety program featured his versatility in comedy, dancing and singing, and also had famous guests.

7) This singer had worked in a major studio--recording  back-up vocals for classic musicals. His music variety show was one of the longest running in classic TV and featured him singing many of his hit movie themes.

😎Eight) This performer was successful on Broadway and on television before getting her own TV variety show. Although she specialized in comedy, her singing and dancing was also entertaining.

9) This singer was a famous performer in classic musicals and gave legendary concerts the world over. Her music variety program featured her singing and performing with many other prominent performers, some of whom she had appeared with in her classic films.

10) This famous singer started out as a jazz pianist, but later switched to singing. His show was controversial at the time, so it didn't last too long. But it featured outstanding musical talent of the era.

11) This unique performer was a veteran of Broadway and movies when  he made a name for himself in early classic TV. His act was playing a musical instrument and singing, along with comedy. He was famous for his stage exit.

12) The star of this top music variety show was not a performer but the MC. He presented variety acts of all kinds from the top performers of the era.

I think these are correct but I'm not completely confident...

5.  Dinah Shore and The Dinah Shore Chevy Show

8.  Carol Burnett and The Carol Burnett Show

9.  Judy Garland and The Judy Garland Show

10.  Nat King Cole  and The Nat King Cole Show

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Could be Perry Como or Andy Williams, both were easy, relaxed performers who had tv shows

I may not be on site today, this is all I have time for right now

If you completely read number two, you won't come to the conclusion that it could be either singer.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

If you completely read number two, you won't come to the conclusion that it could be either singer.

Princess both Perry Como and Andy Williams appeared in "classic films", if you mean famous classic films that's one thing but if you're referring to a time period then both Andy and Perry appeared in films in the 1940's and besides those '40's films.Andy appeared in the1964 film I'd Rather Be Rich. I can't think of 2 more relaxed singers than those 2 other than Bing Crosby he did have a tv show, that's if you are definig classic as famous movies?????

#7 has to be Andy Williams because he did back-up vocals in movies.  Perry Como did not, so Perry Como should be the answer for #2.

#3 could be Sid Caesar or Milton Berle.  I would tend to pick Sid Caesar because of his cast of regulars.  Cark Reiner, Howard Morris, and Imogene Coca, became very well known.  The show was called  Your Show Of Shows.

#4 is, I think, Jack Benny.

#11 may be Jimmy Durante.  At the end of each show, he would say "Goodnight, Mrs, Calabash, wherever you are".  Then he would walk off through a series of spotlights. 

I need another clue for #6.

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess both Perry Como and Andy Williams appeared in "classic films", if you mean famous classic films that's one thing but if you're referring to a time period then both Andy and Perry appeared in films in the 1940's and besides those '40's films.Andy appeared in the1964 film I'd Rather Be Rich. I can't think of 2 more relaxed singers than those 2 other than Bing Crosby he did have a tv show, that's if you are definig classic as famous movies?????

2)"Before becoming a big hit on TV."--You failed to read that part of the sentence.

43 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

#7 has to be Andy Williams because he did back-up vocals in movies.  Perry Como did not, so Perry Como should be the answer for #2.

#3 could be Sid Caesar or Milton Berle.  I would tend to pick Sid Caesar because of his cast of regulars.  Cark Reiner, Howard Morris, and Imogene Coca, became very well known.  The show was called  Your Show Of Shows.

#4 is, I think, Jack Benny.

#11 may be Jimmy Durante.  At the end of each show, he would say "Goodnight, Mrs, Calabash, wherever you are".  Then he would walk off through a series of spotlights. 

I need another clue for #6.

Miles, 

#2) Perry Como is correct.

#11)  Jimmy Durante is correct.

##

#4) This performer could do a one-man show because he did not have a regular cast of supporting players on TV like Jack Benny had with Rochester, Dennis Day etc. Also he was a noted mime.

#6) This performer was a real big movie star, starred on Broadway and while noted for his comedic performance, he was an excellent dancer and an entertaining singer.

I'd use the word eccentric to describe him in general.

He won Emmys for his TV variety show. But was most proud of his international philanthropy associated with children.

We had terrific participation on this one and an actual three-way tie.

I'll let you guys duke it out, but it would be nice if somebody took it to keep up the momentum.

Terrific answers and Jimmy Durante was pulling it out of a hat, very good, Miles. 

Princess, I had surgery yesterday and I'm not in the mood. Someone else can deal with your question. I understand, you want someone who became a hit because of the tv show even though they were in movies before the tv show.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, I had surgery yesterday and I'm not in the mood. Someone else can deal with your question. I understand, you want someone who became a hit because of the tv show even though they were in movies before the tv show.

Hope you're okay.

Anyway it doesn't really matter, I just hope you're doing better because at our age health is the main thing.

Take care.....