Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

With the Oscars coming up next month let's try Oscar trivia:

1.  What was the first movie to win the top five Oscars (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay)?  Hint:  This film is from 1933.

2.  Which Best Actress winner gave part of her acceptance speech in sign-language in honor of her deaf parents?  Hint:  This performer's Oscar winning role was in a 1975 movie.  Her character was once named on a list of best movie villains.

3.   Which three Oscar winning pictures have running times that are over 3 1/2 hours?

4.   Best supporting acting categories were added for the 9th Oscars in 1937.   Name the first actor to win best supporting actor.  Hint:  He won Best Supporting Actor two more times.

5.   Who has hosted the Oscars the most at 19 times?  Hint: Hosted between 1939- 1977

6.   Name the classic movie where two people shared Best Director award.  (It happened again when the Cohen brothers won for No Country for Old Men)

7.  Who has won the most Oscars?  Hint:  Very familiar name who was nominated 59 times and won 25.

8.   Who is the most nominated family?  Hint:  A musical family with 93 nominations and 12 wins so far.

9.  Which Oscar winning best actress was so sure she wouldn't win that she sewed her own dress for the ceremonies.  She, of course,  won that night: "I didn't want to invest a lot of money in a dress. I was convinced no-one would see it."   Hint:  She won for her role in a 1957 movie.  Her husband won a Best Actor Oscar for a 1986 film.

10.  Which actor has the most nominations without a competitive win?  Hint:  His first nomination was for a 1962 film.  He lost to Gregory Peck.

11.  For which movie did The Beatles win Best Original Song Score?  Hint:  The film is a documentary.

12.  What historical figure has generated three acting nominations for their portrayal?  Hint:  Charles Leighton won for playing this real person in a 1933 film.   Richard Burton and Robert Shaw were later each nominated for playing this royal role.

1. It Happened One Night

2. Louise Fletcher

4. Walter Brennan

5. Bob Hope

8. Newman's

9. Joanne Woodward 

(I've done several Oscars quizzes here over the years..maybe I shouldn't have hogged the answers...perhaps I'll dig back and recycle one)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, shutoo said:

(I've done several Oscars quizzes here over the years..maybe I shouldn't have hogged the answers...perhaps I'll dig back and recycle one)

Shutoo, feel free to hog!  There's not exactly a stampede to answer.   Yes, please repost one of your Oscar quizzes!  You always come up with interesting questions.

#3, 7, 10-12 to go

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

12. The figure is Henry VIII

7. Could be John Williams, but he was musical

7.  John Williams is a great guess but this person died in 1966.  This person's name is still on his company, two theme parks, and a popular streaming service.  He was also a personal friend of Mickey Mouse.

12.  Yep, that's correct!

On 3/26/2021 at 11:01 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Could be Perry Como or Andy Williams, both were easy, relaxed performers who had tv shows

I may not be on site today, this is all I have time for right now

Princess, I answered Perry Como and you said it was incorrect?!!!!

On 3/27/2021 at 1:53 AM, Princess of Tap said:

2)"Before becoming a big hit on TV."--You failed to read that part of the sentence.

Why this response to me? then you wrote that Perry Como was correct to Miles !!!

4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

10. Jack Lemmon - Days of Wine and Roses ??

11. Let It Be?

10.  Not Jack Lemmon.  This actor's most famous role is the title character in a 1962 David Lean epic.  He went on to have 7 more nominations and was an awarded an honorary Oscar in 2002.  He never won a competitive Oscar.

11.  Yep, that's correct!

17 hours ago, shutoo said:

Thanks to Princess, Chaya, Lavender, and Shutoo for answering!

Shutoo got the most correct with six.  Shutoo, would you like to post the next quiz?

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, I answered Perry Como and you said it was incorrect?!!!!

Why this response to me? then you wrote that Perry Como was correct to Miles !!!

When people give me a multiple choice answer, I don't consider that to be an answer. You have to be one or the other.

Either way, it's no big deal. I hope you're feeling better.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:51 PM, Princess of Tap said:

If you completely read number two, you won't come to the conclusion that it could be either singer.

This is what you wrote.You should have written please pick one. You wrote it wasn't either singer but then wrote to Miles it was Perry Como and that was one of my guesses. Sorry Princess but I'm calling you out on this one., your response to me was misleading and incorrect. However, I thank you for the well wishes.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, lavenderblue19 said:
On 4/1/2021 at 7:01 PM, MilesArcher said:

Shutoo, It's your turn.

Shutoo, you out there?

Lately that's questionable...

okay, a quickie: This actor had lots of guest shots in early tv...his first gig as a regular was playing a co-worker/sometimes love interest of the title character in a popular sit-com.  Soon after, he starred in a tv western, and later was the title character of a police drama, in which he was quite a ladies' man...funny because in real life,  his was one of Hollywood's longest marriages.  What's his name...that first regular gig, one of his later series....and for a bonus, throw in the name of the famous film he was top billed in before the steady tv jobs.

• Thanks 1

It was my dad's favorite Western. That's the only way I know it.

"Bat Masterson" starring Gene Barry.

Then he went on to star  in "Burke's Law".

The sitcom was "Our Miss Brooks".

And the movie was "War of the Worlds".

4 hours ago, shutoo said:

Lately that's questionable...

okay, a quickie: This actor had lots of guest shots in early tv...his first gig as a regular was playing a co-worker/sometimes love interest of the title character in a popular sit-com.  Soon after, he starred in a tv western, and later was the title character of a police drama, in which he was quite a ladies' man...funny because in real life,  his was one of Hollywood's longest marriages.  What's his name...that first regular gig, one of his later series....and for a bonus, throw in the name of the famous film he was top billed in before the steady tv jobs.

C'est tout folks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Gene Barry.

Perfection! You're up, Princess of Tap!

(Oh, and his long marriage I mentioned lasted nearly 60 years)

• Like 1

Boomer TV Kids 

How many of these child actors can you identify along with their TV shows?

1) He was part of a long running sitcom family for more than a decade. His breakout role was in a Doris Day movie with a shaggy dog. He reappeared with a similar dog in the long running sitcom.

2) He appeared in a Doris Day movie. And then resurfaced in a short-lived sitcom about a dude ranch, starring an actress famous for appearing in an Academy Award-winning movie.

3) This young actor appeared in a hit movie starring Cary Grant. He co-starred in a hit family sitcom starring an actress who won an Academy Award.

4) This young actress appeared in a Bob Hope movie about vaudeville. Then she went on to appear in a hit sitcom with a rustic flavor, starring a famous Hollywood character actor. 

5) This young actress appeared in a Clark Gable movie and portrayed the female co-star as a girl. She went on to co-star in a groundbreaking sitcom with a popular Asian American co-star.  

6) This young actor had an impressive movie career appearing with Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark and Jane Wyman. On television he co-starred in a series with a famous dog.

7) This young actor appeared on a hit Sci-Fi TV series, but was also well known for a classic episode of "Twilight Zone" and a movie starring James Stewart. 

😎 Eight) This actor started out very young working with one of classic Hollywood's greatest directors in one film. From there he went on to star in a very successful family sitcom, which came to epitomize the Baby Boomer childhood. 

9) This young actor did a lot of television before he ended up co-starring in a top family sitcom about small town life. In between he found time to co-star with Robert Preston and Glenn Ford in two hit movies. 

10) This young actress was unusually successful in classic film because she was nominated for an Academy Award in a psychological drama, which was an adaptation of the play she had acted in on Broadway. She went on to star in a short-lived TV sitcom.

1.  Stanley Livingston - My Three Sons. 

3.  Noreen Corcoran - Bachelor Father

6.  Tommy Rettig - Lassie

7.  Billy Mumy - Lost In Space

8. Jerry Mathers - Leave It To Beaver

9.  Ron Howard - The Andy Griffith Shpw

10. Patty McCormick - Peck's Bad Girl