Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

#6 is Lugene Sanders and Wesley Morgan as Babs and Junior Riley in "The Life Of Riley".  Marjorie Reynolds played their mother , Peg, and William Bendix played their father, Chester A. Riley.

#8 is Jeannine Riley, the blonde, and Pat Woodell, the brunette, who played  the original Billie Jo and Bobbie Jo Bradley in "Petticoat Junction".  Bea Benaderet played their mother, Kate Bradley. 

#10 is, I believe, Sheila James and Ann E. Todd as Jackie and Joyce Erwin on "The Stu Erwin Show"  It was also known as 
"The Trouble with Father".  June Collyer played the mother, June Erwin.  

• Like 1

I think just 1 and 5 are left...I knew 5 would be the toughie...late 50s, one season, very well known star in the lead

1. One of the first tv series...the actress seen was 13 when the series began, 21 in the final season.  A lot of us (I include myself) only have seen the existing episodes thanks to the internet, although it evidently was in syndication in the late 50s.  Family comedy, started on radio.

5. The star was already very well known due to her film work and previous popular long running comedy show, based on her radio program.  When she returned in a mother role, it just didn't sell...but she was Emmy nominated for the effort.

Here are a couple of guesses based on the clues given.

#1 is, I think, Tom Taylor and Arlene McQuade as Sammy and Rosalie Goldberg on "The Goldbergs".  Gertrude Berg played their mother, Molly Goldberg.  

#5 may be Karen Greene and Gail Stone as Mary and Jenny Hammond on "The Eve Arden Show".  Eve Arden played their mother, Liza Hammond.

Gail Stone, the brunette, was the younger half-sister of Rosemary Clooney and Nick Clooney.

Nick Clooney, Rosemary Clooney and Gail Stone | Rosemary clooney, Old  hollywood actresses, Nick clooney

• Like 1

That was indeed a tough one, Shutoo.  I just followed the clues and did some research for those last two.  This next question should be easy for anyone of a certain age.

If you remember the "Spin And Marty" serials on the original "Mickey Mouse Club", you may remember a ranch hand at the Triple R ranch named Ollie.  He had a favorite expression that he used time and again whenever he expressed absolute amazement.  Can you remember what that expression was?

Leonard P. Geer (1914-1989) - Find A Grave Memorial 

17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That was indeed a tough one, Shutoo.  I just followed the clues and did some research for those last two.  This next question should be easy for anyone of a certain age.

If you remember the "Spin And Marty" serials on the original "Mickey Mouse Club", you may remember a ranch hand at the Triple R ranch named Ollie.  He had a favorite expression that he used time and again whenever he expressed absolute amazement.  Can you remember what that expression was?

Leonard P. Geer (1914-1989) - Find A Grave Memorial 

Well, I'll be a blue nosed gopher  

• Like 1

Make that a lavenderblue nosed gopher!  You are correct, Lavender.  Ollie was played by Leonard P. Geer.  He was active in westerns for many years as both an actor and a stuntman.   Nice work.  It's your thread, Lavender.

Ha, never understood that corny line in the first place, still don't but I loved Spin and Marty. Wish it would be in re-runs and the original Mickey Mouse Club.

next

This actor was on a very successful tv show in the classic time period. Poor health forced his departure from the show and he was very unhappy about it. To make matters worse for him, he was replaced by an actor he couldn't stand. 2 actors and the tv show ???

Yes. William Frawley had to leave My Three Sons because his health was failing. He had a stroke, he could still walk and talk but was ill. He died a year after leaving the show. He loved the show and resented having to leave. when William Demarest replaced him, it was adding insult to injury., Frawley it's been said, hated William Demarest before he replaced Frawley. It's only a guess on my part, but I think there was rivalry for roles. Both character actors most probably were in competion for roles during their film careers. Frawley was a difficult man, an alcoholic, a misogynist, an anti-semite and was a gruff grump., ., At any rate, good work and it's your turn Miles :)

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but each of the last two questions were about shows that featured actor Tim Considine.  You may not be aware of this, but he originally auditioned for the part of Marty Markham, not Spin in the "Spin And Marty" series.   He said that he would rather play Spin and he recommended that the producers look at young David Stollery for the part of Marty.  The boys had worked together in a movie with Greer Garson called "Her Twelve Men".   Here is Tim's audition:

Continuing with our Tim Considine theme, He was in another Disney mini-series on the "Magical World Of Disney" TV show where he played the nephew of the lead actor.  This was a revolutionary war era story, but it was not "Johnny Tremain".  The star was an actor known for drama at the time, but later in his career, he was mostly associated with comedy movies.  Can you name the mini-series and the star?  Bonus points if you can sing the theme song.

I haven't sung that song since junior high, so I give up on the singing part.

Leslie Nielsen starred in "Swamp Fox".

Yes, and this is another Disney TV series.

Except there was no magical world of color for us because we only had black and white TV. 😄

17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but each of the last two questions were about shows that featured actor Tim Considine.  You may not be aware of this, but he originally auditioned for the part of Marty Markham, not Spin in the "Spin And Marty" series.   He said that he would rather play Spin and he recommended that the producers look at young David Stollery for the part of Marty.  The boys had worked together in a movie with Greer Garson called "Her Twelve Men".   Here is Tim's audition:

Continuing with our Tim Considine theme, He was in another Disney mini-series on the "Magical World Of Disney" TV show where he played the nephew of the lead actor.  This was a revolutionary war era story, but it was not "Johnny Tremain".  The star was an actor known for drama at the time, but later in his career, he was mostly associated with comedy movies.  Can you name the mini-series and the star?  Bonus points if you can sing the theme song.

That's correct, Princess.  Leslie Nielsen played Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox.  Tim Considine played his nephew, young Gabe Marion.  There are quite a few cities in this country named Marion, after the Swamp Fox.  You can hear the song in this clip:

Now, you'll be singing the song all day!

Good work, Princess.  You're up next.

• Haha 1

Next:

So much talent from classic TV started out on radio.

This particular behind the scenes talent was a tremendous success writing for several popular radio comics.

When television came along, he had one of the most successful and Emmy Award winning sitcoms. He was the creator, the writer and producer.

And he had another popular sitcom, where he did all the same chores, plus writing the theme song.

He also lent his talents to several early classic music variety TV shows.

When you identify this classic TV pioneer, list two of his most popular TV series.

Hint*--This TV pioneer unusually usually filmed his sitcoms in New York City.

Could it be Nat Hiken?  In the 50's, he created "The Phil Silvers Show", (AKA "Sgt. Bilko", AKA  "You'll Never Get Rich").  In the early 60's, he created "Car 54, Where Are You?" and it's memorable theme song, heard in this clip:

Both series were filmed in New York.

He was also responsible for "The Martha Raye Show" in the 50's, as well as serving as producer and writer for a 60's movie with Don Knotts called "The Love God".

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Nat Hiken?  In the 50's, he created "The Phil Silvers Show", (AKA "Sgt. Bilko", AKA  "You'll Never Get Rich").  In the early 60's, he created "Car 54, Where Are You?" and it's memorable theme song, heard in this clip:

Both series were filmed in New York.

He was also responsible for "The Martha Raye Show" in the 50's, as well as serving as producer and writer for a 60's movie with Don Knotts called "The Love God".

Miles, a perfectly thorough job as usual.

You know both of us remember "The Martha Raye Show". LOL

But Bilko was my favorite. And thanks for "The Car 54" song.

You're up.....

Thanks, Princess.  I actually knew the answer from the first time I saw the question, but I waited to see if someone else would answer.  

I don't remember much about "The Martha Raye Show" except that one of her regulars was a former boxing champion.  Can anyone name that former boxer?

Thanks Miles :)

next

This actress was a stage, film and tv star. She had a long career. In the classic time frame she appeared regularly on daytime and nightime tv shows. She's best known for one tv show she starred in. She had the distinction of being the first female to do something on another tv show, besides the one she is most known for.  Actress and the tv show she's most known for and what TV show was she the first female to get to do what on the tv show ?????