Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 5/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles :)

next

This actress was a stage, film and tv star. She had a long career. In the classic time frame she appeared regularly on daytime and nightime tv shows. She's best known for one tv show she starred in. She had the distinction of being the first female to do something on another tv show, besides the one she is most known for.  Actress and the tv show she's most known for and what TV show was she the first female to get to do what on the tv show ?????

Repeating the question as a courtesy because it's on the previous page

Well, based on your last clue, I'm going to guess Betty White.  She was the first woman to produce a sitcom (Life With Elizabeth)often appeared on game shows (especially Password with her husband Alan Ludden), and nowadays is well-known for her Snickers commercials.  The Golden Girls is her best-known sitcom, as well as appearing on a few seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

(I was originally going to say Dinah Shore, since that also fits nearly all the other parts of your clue--the first woman to host her own variety show, and closely associated with Chevrolet--just not the game show part. And "also known as a singer" would be a major understatement in her case.)

Sorry not Betty, she isn't known as a singer and it's not Dinah. The actress I'm asking about is known as a singer besides actress but her famous tv show was a sit com. Also, never said having her own tv show was a first. That's not the first I'm writing about.

next clue- She did however have some tv shows with her name in the title but those are not the one she was most famous for

49 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

I  believe  the  answer  is   Ann  Sothern.  Thanks

Sorry, but it's not Ann Sothern.  Ann does not fit all of the clues 

This actress was known more for her tv career than film career. 

My research tells me that it's Florence Henderson.  She was the first woman to host "The Tonight Show".  Her well known show was "The Brady Bunch".  She was a one time hostess of "The Today Show".  She was a guest on countless game shows, and she did commercials for Wesson Oil, Polydent, and Oldsmobile.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

My research tells me that it's Florence Henderson.  She was the first woman to host "The Tonight Show".  Her well known show was "The Brady Bunch".  She was a one time hostess of "The Today Show".  She was a guest on countless game shows, and she did commercials for Wesson Oil, Polydent, and Oldsmobile.

Yes, Florence Henderson is correct Miles. She was the first female to guest host for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show. She loved game shows and appeared on them for many years, Hollywood Squares, Password, Match Game, What's My Line, etc. She did commercials for Oldsmobile, her most famous though were the  Wesson Oil commercials, she did those for 22 years, ( remember she sang Wessonality) later she did do the Polident commercials. She started out as a stage singer and actress. She starred in the film Song of Norway. Of course, her most famous role was as Carol Brady on the Brady Bunch, 1969-1974. She even made an appearance as the Brady grandma in the Brady Bunch movie. Excellent Miles, your thread :)

On 5/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

next clue- She did however have some tv shows with her name in the title but those are not the one she was most famous for

Florence Henderson had tv shows with her name?  I didn't know that. I was on the wrong track..thought maybe Vicki Lawrence because she did, was on lots of game shows, made records...but couldn't come up with any 'firsts'.  Oh well...

39 minutes ago, shutoo said:

Florence Henderson had tv shows with her name?  I didn't know that. I was on the wrong track..thought maybe Vicki Lawrence because she did, was on lots of game shows, made records...but couldn't come up with any 'firsts'.  Oh well...

The Florence Henderson Show 2007-2009, it was a talk show also Who's Cooking With Florence in 2013. Many celebrites were guests on these shows. I use to watch  both shows. As long as the question is in the Retro time period up to 1979, clues can be given for the question after that. adding that in case anyone was wondering.  As far as a first goes, that was quite an honor that Johnny picked Florence as his first female guest host while he was away on vacation. Florence's career lasted over 60 years and she worked up until she passed. She was also a contestant on Dancing With The Stars when she was 76 years old. 2 months before she passed, she also taped a Dancing With the Stars when Maureen Mccormick was a contestant. For Baby Boomers, Florence Henderson was a part of our past. I doubt very many no matter what generation, doesn't know Florence's iconic character Carol Brady and the Brady Bunch. At any rate, glad there were good guesses by everyone :) Miles is the winner, putting all the clues together with his correct guess and it's his thread

Don Ameche once hosted a TV musical variety show for a short time in the 50's before yielding the hosting duties to a popular young singer at the time.  The show was only fifteen minutes in length and aired twice a week for several years.  What was the name of the show and who was that young singer?  Hint:  Florence Henderson was once a guest star. 

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Don Ameche once hosted a TV musical variety show for a short time in the 50's before yielding the hosting duties to a popular young singer at the time.  The show was only fifteen minutes in length and aired twice a week for several years.  What was the name of the show and who was that young singer?  Hint:  Florence Henderson was once a guest star. 

I'm going to guess on this one. But this was my mom's favorite drink and TV show at the time--"Coke Time With Eddie Fisher".

I remember the show, and he was a good singer.

You are correct, Princess.  I don't remember Don Ameche hosting, but Eddie Fisher took over for the last few years.  John Cameron Swayze did the NBC news from 7:30 to 7:45 and "Coke Time" went from 7:45 to 8:00 PM. a couple of days a week.  If you believe studio biographies, then Florence Henderson was only twenty when she appeared in this episode:

That clip was from 1954, fifteen years before "The Brady Bunch".  

Nice work, Princess.  The thread is yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This guy was a solid supporting actor in films starring Frank Sinatra, Gregory Peck, Steve McQueen and even Dustin Hoffman.

But his claim to fame became television. He co-starred in one of the most popular 70s sitcom.

But before all that hoopla, he co-starred in an early 60s cop show with a cool theme, loosely-based on the work of a popular crime fiction writer.

Hint: In the '70s he also starred in a spin-off from his original sitcom hit.

When you identify this actor, be sure to give us the names of the 60s retro series, the crime fiction writer whose work it was based on and one of his classic movies.

(For those who want the extra credit brownie points, you can mention that popular '70s sitcom.)

On 6/4/2021 at 12:41 AM, Princess of Tap said:

This guy was a solid supporting actor in films starring Frank Sinatra, Gregory Peck, Steve McQueen and even Dustin Hoffman.

But his claim to fame became television. He co-starred in one of the most popular 70s sitcom.

But before all that hoopla, he co-starred in an early 60s cop show with a cool theme, loosely-based on the work of a popular crime fiction writer.

Hint: In the '70s he also starred in a spin-off from his original sitcom hit.

When you identify this actor, be sure to give us the names of the 60s retro series, the crime fiction writer whose work it was based on and one of his classic movies.

(For those who want the extra credit brownie points, you can mention that popular '70s sitcom.)

Norman Fell?  The Police Show was 87th Precint. It was based on a series of novels by Ed McBain ( Evan Hunter was his pen name). His 1970's comedy tv show was Three's Company with a spin-off of The Ropers. He was in Ocean's 11 with Frank, Pork Chop Hill with Gregory Peck, Bullitt with Steve McQueen and The Graduate with Dustin Hoffman ????????

• Like 1
6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Norman Fell?  The Police Show was 87th Precint. It was based on a series of novels by Ed McBain ( Evan Hunter was his pen name). His 1970's comedy tv show was Three's Company with a spin-off of The Ropers. He was in Ocean's 11 with Frank, Pork Chop Hill with Gregory Peck, Bullitt with Steve McQueen and The Graduate with Dustin Hoffman ????????

Yes, Lav. Norman Fell is an actor I always liked. I knew you would probably remember "87th Precinct". It had a nice theme by Pete Rugalo.

Nice work, it's all yours.....

• Like 1

Thanks Princess. No, I don't remember the show. 87th Precinct, it was probably on a school night and too late for me  to watch it or another show was on at that time. I just thought of Three's Company and The Ropers and then I saw that Ocean's 11 will be on TCM so I thought of Norman Fell, since I've seen the movie dozens of times Very good question btw :) I'll post one later, in the meantime the Thread Is Open if anyone wants to post a question.

• Like 2

Lavender and Princess:  I've read all the 87th Precinct and Evan Hunter (for Evander Childs and Hunter College - where my Mom went) wrote The Blackboard Jungle.  I think I saw a movie a long time ago, but not sure who was in it.  Ed McBain's Fat Ollie novels are okay (and tie in with 87th Precinct), but some of the other mystery novels were just so so!  Hope I didn't violate the rules of etiquette on the board.  

Lavender, it is interesting that you mentioned that it was on a school night.  When I was young, you wouldn't find violent shows on during the 8-9 hour.  

• Like 1

I've got a quickie odd one:  on this very popular series..which began in the mid 50s, the producers wife appeared in  165 episodes, but never got a credit.  Their son used her maiden name when he appeared in a popular comedy in the 60s.  Even without screen credit, she got a little write-up in TV Guide.  Know this popular series and the actress (well, she did have 1 credit for a film)?

On 6/7/2021 at 3:15 PM, shutoo said:

I've got a quickie odd one:  on this very popular series..which began in the mid 50s, the producers wife appeared in  165 episodes, but never got a credit.  Their son used her maiden name when he appeared in a popular comedy in the 60s.  Even without screen credit, she got a little write-up in TV Guide.  Know this popular series and the actress (well, she did have 1 credit for a film)?

yeah, this may have been a little too odd...here's a clue about the show...the top billed actor, who appeared in all 207 episodes was actually only briefly seen in each...and he was not the title character....