Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In classic TV there were often versions of legendary movies on the small screen, starring actresses and actors, who were not the star in the movie.

Tell us who starred in the movie and who the star was in the teleplay/TV musical.

(Stick to real classic TV from the '50s through the 60s)

1)Annie, Get Your Gun 

2) Harvey 

3) Meet Me In St Louis 

4) Inherit the Wind

*5) Marty 

*6) Requiem for a Heavyweight 

*TV version came before the movie

4. In the film version, Spencer Tracy plays Henry Drummond (the Clarence Darrow character) and Frederic March is Matthew Brady (William Jennings Bryan character)...in the 1965 tv version, Melvyn Douglas is Drummond, and Ed Begley is Brady.  I've never seen this version, but just based on the leads, it's probably good...I did see a later  tv version with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott

6. First broadcast as an episode of Playhouse 90...Jack Palance was the washed up boxer, and Keenan Wynn was his manager;  six years later, it was a feature film with Anthony Quinn as the boxer and Jackie Gleason the manager.

1.   Gail  Davis  played  Annie  Oakley  on  tv  Betty  Hutton  the  film  Annie  Get  Your  Gun    2.  Art  Carney  tv  version  James  Stewart  the   film  Harvey

1.  Gail Davis played Annie Oakley in a weekly western series, but not in "Annie Get Your Gun".  That was a TV production starring Mary Martin and John Raitt.  I have the soundtrack album.  The movie had Betty Hutton and Howard Keel as the leads.

3.  Jane Powell starred in a TV production of "Meet Me In St. Louis".  Tab Hunter played the boy next door.  Walter Pidgeon and Myrna Loy played the parents and Patty Duke played little sister Tootie.  Those roles in the movie were played by Judy Garland, Tom Drake, Leon Ames, Mary Astor, and Margaret O'Brien, respectively.

Well, I've got 3 people who have two correct answers each.

Shutoo (#4) & Lav (#5) plus each have the correct answer for #6 at the same time. So we'll call that a tie.

And *Miles has correct answers for #1 & #3.

*(Miles, I looked for years for that Mary Martin John Raitt album, but I had to settle for Ethel Merman. LOL)

So since I know we're all good amigos here, I'm going to let the 3 winners decide who's going to go next. I'm no tiebreaker.

Great work here in  Classic TV Land.

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well, I've got 3 people who have two correct answers each.

Shutoo (#4) & Lav (#5) plus each have the correct answer for #6 at the same time. So we'll call that a tie.

And *Miles has correct answers for #1 & #3.

*(Miles, I looked for years for that Mary Martin John Raitt album, but I had to settle for Ethel Merman. LOL)

So since I know we're all good amigos here, I'm going to let the 3 winners decide who's going to go next. I'm no tiebreaker.

Great work here in  Classic TV Land.

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks, I'll pass this round. Miles  or shutoo can take it

On 7/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, shutoo said:

4. In the film version, Spencer Tracy plays Henry Drummond (the Clarence Darrow character) and Frederic March is Matthew Brady (William Jennings Bryan character)...in the 1965 tv version, Melvyn Douglas is Drummond, and Ed Begley is Brady.  I've never seen this version, but just based on the leads, it's probably good...I did see a later  tv version with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott

6. First broadcast as an episode of Playhouse 90...Jack Palance was the washed up boxer, and Keenan Wynn was his manager;  six years later, it was a feature film with Anthony Quinn as the boxer and Jackie Gleason the manager.

On 7/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, MilesArcher said:

1.  Gail Davis played Annie Oakley in a weekly western series, but not in "Annie Get Your Gun".  That was a TV production starring Mary Martin and John Raitt.  I have the soundtrack album.  The movie had Betty Hutton and Howard Keel as the leads.

3.  Jane Powell starred in a TV production of "Meet Me In St. Louis".  Tab Hunter played the boy next door.  Walter Pidgeon and Myrna Loy played the parents and Patty Duke played little sister Tootie.  Those roles in the movie were played by Judy Garland, Tom Drake, Leon Ames, Mary Astor, and Margaret O'Brien, respectively.

Shutoo & Miles,

You guys can decide what you want to do.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:23 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Shutoo & Miles,

You guys can decide what you want to do.

Do either of you guys want to take this on?

On 7/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, MilesArcher said:

On 7/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, shutoo said:

We all remember the Batman TV series in the 60's that starred Adam West and Burt Ward.  Do you remember the villains and the actors and actresses who portrayed them?  Some villains were portrayed by more than one person.    Can you name the character pictured as well as the actor or actress playing that character?  Some will be easy, some not so easy.  Give it a try!

1.  snapshot-2014-11-17-at-05_20_04-pm-1886557322.jpg?itok=WE66PQov

2.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-05_16_15-pm-1303923742.jpg?itok=xYQgAiud 

3.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-01_49_50-pm-333449528.jpg?itok=jX5AZGM3 

4.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-01_53_19-pm-86375558.jpg?itok=Ouylw653 

5.  George Sander as Mr. Freeze! | Batman show, Batman and superman, Batman tv  series 

6.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-05_39_13-pm-224356762.jpg?itok=IQgqaKWa 

7.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-05_34_47-pm-1655821909.jpg?itok=Jdxcigd9 

8.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-02_06_31-pm-1199505380.jpg?itok=gpjsQYXW 

9.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-02_13_37-pm-1183323872.jpg?itok=VI4zgBQL 

10.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-02_19_22-pm-892665369.jpg?itok=sXJA1oy2 

11.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-02_24_48-pm-548348219.jpg?itok=HEnCeEZJ 

12.  snapshot-2014-11-19-at-10_40_00-am-1489497200.jpg?itok=FZemMI6n 

13.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-02_34_00-pm-1839743855.jpg?itok=sg_n2P-b 

14.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-02_38_23-pm-374444753.jpg?itok=o-_-mWoR 

15.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-03_57_24-pm-1343070184.jpg?itok=JoZz84rr 

16. snapshot-2014-11-18-at-04_02_52-pm-419706432.jpg?itok=TmVM_nUi 

17.   snapshot-2014-11-18-at-04_12_05-pm-1819747538.jpg?itok=yy4rII_T 

18.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-04_14_36-pm-796871148.jpg?itok=-YRppA0U 

19.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-04_25_26-pm-33955685.jpg?itok=boOmkY_C 

20.  snapshot-2014-11-18-at-04_30_40-pm-1671215077.jpg?itok=T4JVKUbF 

There are more, but that's enough for now.

• Like 1

1 & 2 are both The Riddler - Frank Gorshin and John Astin

14. is Bookworm? (Roddy McDowell)

19. Vincent Price as Egghead

13. Victor Buono (sp?) as King Tut

11. Julie Newmar (Catwoman) and 12. Eartha Kitt - same character

5. & 6. are Both Mr. Freeze (George Sanders in the Black and white and Otto Preminger the other)

3 & 4 are easy but I'll let others have some fun.

7.  Eli Wallach as (another) Mr. Freeze

17.  Shelley Winters as Ma Parker

20.  Liberace as Chandell and his twin brother Harry

• Like 1

3. Burgess Meredith as The Penguin

4. Cesar Romero as The Joker

8.. Anne Baxter, she played a couple of roles, Zelda  the Great and Olga Queen of the Cossacks, if I remember correctly that's Anne as Olga

15. Art Carney - The Archer

16, Van Johnson played The Minstrel

18. Walter Slezak played The Clock King

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for playing.  We have them all now.   In response to Chaya's request about celebrities  that the dynamic duo encounter while scaling buildings, here is an interesting video:

Chaya got the most so she gets to post next.

• Like 1

Star  Trek   Original  Series,  please  name  the  stars  who  played   Romulans  and  Klingons.   Balance  of  Terror:  Romulan  Commander?  Decius?   The  Centurion?    Errand of  Mercy:   Kor?   Klingon  Lieutenant?   Friday's  Child:  Kras?   The  Trouble  With  Tribbles :  Koloth ?  Korax?   A  Private  Little  War:  Krell?   The  Enterprise  Incident:  Romulan  Commander?   Tal ?   Day  of  the  Dove:   Kang?   Mara?   The  Savage  Curtain:  Kahless?  Thanks

• Like 1

Star  Trek  Original  Series,  please  name  the  stars  who  played  Romulans  and  Klingons.                                                                                                                                                                                                        1.  Balance  of  Terror:  Romulan  Commander?  Decius?   The  Centurion?     2.  Errand  of  Mercy:   Kor?   Klingon  Lieutenant?    3.  Friday's  Child:   Kras?                                                             4. The  Trouble  With  Tribbles:  Koloth?   Korax?    5.  A  Private  Little  War:  Krell?   6.  The  Enterprise  Incident:  Romulan  Commander?  Tal?                                                                                        7.  Day  of  the  Dove:   Kang?  Mara?    8.  The Savage  Curtain:  Kahless?