Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

50 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Mary Tyler Moore Show - it was Phylliss' house and Mary and Rhoda lived there.

5. It's either  The Jeffersons or Famiy Affair I think, I'll guess Family Affair ( lol I think it's The Jefferson's too) if I saw the entrance I'd know

7. The Addams Family

1 & 7 are correct.

#5 are great guesses.  Hint:  This show's character took the "L" to get home from the office.

Great job so far!   

Hints:

4.  A crimefighter.  Named after his everyday identity.

5.  The title character took the "L" home from the office

6.  Show took place in Colorado

46 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Great job! Thanks to Princess and Lavender who each got two.

The thread goes to cinemaman with three correct.  Thanks for playing everyone!

• Thanks 1

The  movie  The  Virginian  has  two  versions  of  it.  One  version  The  Virginian   1929  had  Gary  Cooper,  Walter Huston  and  Mary  Brian  in  it.  The  Virginian  1946  cast  included   Joel  McCrea,  Barbara  Britton  and  Brian  Donlevy  as  part of  that  movie.  The  Virginian  television  show  ( 1962-1971)  was an  classic  Western  and  had  great  guest stars  such  as  Bette  Davis.  please  name  the  stars  by  their  character  clues.    1.  The  Virginian      2. Trampas     3.  Judge  Henry  Garth   4. Emmett  Ryker   5.  Betsy  Garth     6. Steve  Hill   7.  Clay  Grainger   8.  Elizabeth  Grainger   9.  John  Grainger  10.  Roy  Tate  11.  Col  Alan  MacKenzie  Thanks

1)  James Drury

2)  Doug McClure

4)  Emmett Ryker

5)  Roberta Shore

6)  Gary Clarke

7)  John McIntire

8).  Sara Lane

10)  Lee Majors

11)  Stewart Granger

Full disclosure: I obviously had to look up many of these.  Just tryin' to move the thread along...  🙂

• Like 1

Fausterlitz   the  answer  to  number  four  is  Clu  Gulager . It  is unrealistic  to   know all  these  answers  in  your  head.  Since  you  answered  more questions  right ,  you  are the winner  and  the  thread  is  yours.  Thanks  to  Fausterlitz ,  Peebs  and  Everybody

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cinemaman said:

Fausterlitz   the  answer  to  number  four  is  Clu  Gulager

Sorry, cinemaman, I accidentally typed the character's name again instead of the actor!

-----------------

Next:

The many "mystery guests" who appeared on the TV program What's My Line? resorted to various strategies for hiding their often familiar speaking voices.  Can you identify each of these well-known performers from the descriptions below?  (I'll post video links for each relevant episode once everyone has guessed.)

1.)  Much-beloved vaudeville comedian.  Usual stage voice was rather high-pitched and giggly.  On WML, played short glissando notes on the violin instead of speaking (upwards for yes, downwards for no).

2.)  Statuesque, somewhat husky-voiced American actress. In her first appearance on WML, answered in French in a higher-pitched, coquettish voice.

3.)  Famously unconventional male sex symbol with a penetrating gaze. On WML, answered by whistling (again sliding pitch up or down).

4.)  Much-beloved, slightly gawky yet attractive, multi-award-winning comedienne, mostly on TV.  Also skilled in dramatic roles.  In her first appearance on WML, answered in an extremely high-pitched squeak.

5.)  Multi-talented actor-singer-dancer (etc.) with many equally well-known friends.  In his first appearance on WML, answered in a variety of different voices (e.g., gangster, Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney).

6.)  Much-beloved comic actress who died tragically young.  In her first appearance on WML, answered mostly in a low, gruff male voice.

7.)  Tall, suave American actor with a distinctively refined speaking voice, most often cast in a particular film genre.  In his first appearance on WML, answered with delightful humor and gusto, singing or speaking in (mostly quite idiomatic) French.

8.)  Strikingly beautiful red-headed actress, not born in the U. S.  On WML, she somewhat confusingly was described as an "American actress" (she in fact held dual citizenship in both the U.S. and her native country).  Answered questions in a sweet, Southern voice.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:03 PM, MilesArcher said:

Some guesses of mine:

1.  Ed Wynn ?

3.  Robert Goulet ?

5.  Sammy Davis Jr. ?

7.  Vincent Price ?

Those were some good guesses, MilesArcher!  1, 5, and 7 are all correct.  Hint for #3:  the audience roared with laughter when one of the panelists asked, "Do you have blond, curly hair?" (his whistling apparently made her think of Harpo Marx).

Update:  the only remaining mystery guest to be identified is #3.  If either Peebs or Miles guesses correctly, they will break their current tie and achieve victory.  🙂

Repeating hint for #3:  the audience roared with laughter when one of the panelists asked him, "Do you have blond, curly hair?" (his whistling apparently made her think it might be Harpo Marx).

2 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Update:  the only remaining mystery guest to be identified is #3.  If either Peebs or Miles guesses correctly, they will break their current tie and achieve victory.  🙂

Repeating hint for #3:  the audience roared with laughter when one of the panelists asked him, "Do you have blond, curly hair?" (his whistling apparently made her think it might be Harpo Marx).

This is a tough one.  You mentioned that the audience laughed when he was asked if he had blond curly hair.  So, is it the bald Yul Brenner?

11 hours ago, Peebs said:

This is a tough one.  You mentioned that the audience laughed when he was asked if he had blond curly hair.  So, is it the bald Yul Brenner?

We have a winner!  I was about to post a different clue, but you sussed it out.  Great job, Peebs, and nice work by MilesArcher and unclecharlie as well. Peebs, it's now your thread.

Here are the links to the youtube clip of each mystery guest segment, as promised:

Ed Wynn (at 15:26):

Lauren Bacall (at 15:35):

Yul Brynner (at 14:21):

Carol Burnett (at 16:38): 

Sammy Davis Jr. (at 15:06): 

Judy Holliday (at 15:13): 

Vincent Price (at 15:40):

Maureen O'Hara (at 15:51): 

• Like 1

Thanks Fausterlitz!  That was a fun quiz.  It makes me want to look up more clips from What's My Line.  

Next:  Here's a quick one, I think. 

Name the movies in which these Oscar winning songs appear. ( I'm listing the year they won the Oscar for Best Song.)

1.  "Baby, It's Cold Outside"  (1949)

2.  "Mona Lisa" (1950)

3.  "The Way You Look Tonight" (1936)

4.  "All the Way " (1957)

5.  "White Christmas" (1942)

6.  "I'm Easy" (1975)

7.  "Swinging on a Star" (1944)

8. "Secret Love" (1953)

9. "The Morning After"  (1973)

10.  "We May Never Love Like This Again" (1974)

3. The Way You Look Tonight - Fred sings in Swing Time

4. All the Way - Frank sings in The Joker Is Wild

5. White Christmas - Bing sings in Holiday Inn

7. Swingin On A Star - Bing sings in Going My Way

8. Secret Love - Doris sings in Calamity Jane

• Like 1

I just got my power restored after Tropical Storm Henri came through this morning.

1.  "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - "Neptune's Daughter"

2.  "Mona Lisa" - "Captain Carey, U.S.A"

6.  "I'm Easy" - "Nashville"

9.  "The Morning After" - "The Poseidon Adventure"

10. "We May Never Love Like This Again" - "The Towering Inferno"

• Like 1
10 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:
5 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I just got my power restored after Tropical Storm Henri came through this morning.

We have a tie!  Thanks to Lavender and Miles for playing, I'll leave it to you to decide who posts the next quiz. 

Miles, I hope you are safe and didn't get too much damage from Henri.  Yikes!