Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

Very good, Ladies.  Thanks tp Princess and Lavender we have them all now. 

The singer that very few remember is Eileen Barton, but they do remember the song.  Here is an audio recording: 

Princess got the most, so she gets to post the next one.  

• Thanks 1

Name that Classic TV Composer.....

Where would classic TV be without the music men?

Can you identify them along with 1 of their classic TV series?

X1) This TV composer wrote 3 of the most popular classic TV series themes. But he was best known as the conductor arranger for some of America's greatest post-war singing recording artists. 

2) This conductor/composer was first associated with a major Golden Era studio, but he's best known as the conductor for a comedian's long-running classic variety TV show and for composing/ conducting a bawdy top 40 classic instrumental hit.  

X3) This conductor/arranger spent many years as music director for this comedienne's TV variety show and specials. He also was well known for being the music director for several classic TV specials by a young up and coming female singer in the 60s.

X4) This conductor composer wrote several themes for classic TV sitcoms starring a top comedienne. For one sitcom, he also conducted the co-star's orchestra.

X5) This composer conductor is best remembered for being an Oscar winning music man. But he got his start composing the theme and score for a classic TV dramatic series. This TV theme was so popular that it became a top 40 hit.

X6) This music man did the themes for three extremely popular classic TV family sitcoms that were unique blended combinations of family life for their time.  

7) This music man was responsible for the major scoring of a unique sci-fi classic TV series, whose cast later went on to continue the series concept into the movies. But his claim to fame is composing the theme for one long-running dramatic hour long TV show. 

X😎 Ocho)This composer started out with the swing bands and wrote jazz inspired music. But he ended up writing some memorable cute classic TV sitcom themes, especially one that everyone can whistle. 

X9) This guy was a jazz trumpeter who worked with Woody Herman and arranged for Count Basie. How he ended up writing the themes for 2 of TVs most beloved classic series is another story. Ironically both starred two guys. 

X10) This music man has had an extraordinary career having won Oscars, Emmys and Golden Globes. Although he's dominated the top tier of composing music for movies in the latter decades of the 20th century, he got his start writing classic TV themes and scoring for the incidental music. 

3.  Peter Matz? He was the musical director for the Carol Burnett Show and won an Emmy for his work on My Name is Barbra with Barbra Streisand. He also worked on Color Me Barbra.

7.Alexander Courage? Composer of the Star Trek theme

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

3.  Peter Matz? He was the musical director for the Carol Burnett Show and won an Emmy for his work on My Name is Barbra with Barbra Streisand. He also worked on Color Me Barbra.

7.Alexander Courage? Composer of the Star Trek theme

#3 is correct.

#7 does not ask for who wrote the theme.

• Thanks 1

4.  Because of 'co-star's orchestra', I'm thinking this is I Love Lucy 's Wilbur Hatch, who also wrote the theme for Our Miss Brooks

6. I'll guess Frank DeVol, because of his themes for The Brady Bunch, Family Affair

8. the whistling makes me think...The Andy Griffith Show...Herbert W. Spencer.   For those who haven't seen the pilot episode--it's a different tune that's whistled!..and not as catchy.  Also composed theme for The Danny Thomas Show (from which Mayberry was spun..) and The Joey Bishop Show.

9. Neal Hefti  ?  composed iconic themes for The Odd Couple  and Batman

6 hours ago, shutoo said:

4.  Because of 'co-star's orchestra', I'm thinking this is I Love Lucy 's Wilbur Hatch, who also wrote the theme for Our Miss Brooks

6. I'll guess Frank DeVol, because of his themes for The Brady Bunch, Family Affair

8. the whistling makes me think...The Andy Griffith Show...Herbert W. Spencer.   For those who haven't seen the pilot episode--it's a different tune that's whistled!..and not as catchy.  Also composed theme for The Danny Thomas Show (from which Mayberry was spun..) and The Joey Bishop Show.

9. Neal Hefti  ?  composed iconic themes for The Odd Couple  and Batman

#8 is a person who worked with the composer as a conductor and arranger. Since you're so close, why don't you just give us the composer's name? 

The rest of your answers are quite excellent!

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

8 is a person who worked with the composer as a conductor and arranger. Since you're so close, why don't you just give us the composer's name? 

Earle Hagen  ?

• Like 1

Everybody, we still need 2 and 7.

#2 Hint) This conductor/ composer was once married to one of the most beloved singers of the 20th century. 

#7 Hint) This composer's theme for a very successful classic dramatic TV series followed it into another life as a series of made for TV movies.

2. DAVID ROSE -  One of his marriages was to Judy Garland

He was the conductor for the Red Skelton Show

He wrote the theme song for Bonanza and his bawdy hit was The Stripper

When I was a little girl one of my most favorite records was LIKE YOUNG, an instrumental David Rose composed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Everybody, we still need 2 and 7.

#2 Hint) This conductor/ composer was once married to one of the most beloved singers of the 20th century. 

#7 Hint) This composer's theme for a very successful classic dramatic TV series followed it into another life as a series of made for TV movies.

Only #7 remains.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:24 PM, Princess of Tap said:

#8 is a person who worked with the composer as a conductor and arranger. Since you're so close, why don't you just give us the composer's name? 

The rest of your answers are quite excellent!

On 3/21/2022 at 1:02 PM, shutoo said:

Earle Hagen  ?

Really great teamwork and participation with this one.

Shutoo has earned the thread.

And the mysterious #7 is Fred Steiner who wrote the eternal legal ubiquitous theme for Perry Mason.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, shutoo said:

Thanks Princess!  I'll leave the thread open for now...

Since it's Oscar time, there have been many Oscar winners who have had starring roles in their own tv shows in the classic time period 1950's thru the 1970's

Some won their Oscar before their tv show, some won the Oscar after their tv show. Some won for Best, some for suppprting.

At least 12  plus stars come to mind.

Please name these actors or actresses,  their TV Shows they  were in , in the 1950.'s or 1960 's or 1970's) and bonus points if you tell us the film they won the Oscar for 

Very good Princess. There are at least another 3 who had tv shows before winning their Oscar and at least another 5 who had tv shows after winning their Oscar.

Before  winning their Oscar, 2 were comedies one was a crime drama. After winning their Oscar, 3 tv shows were comedies, 2 were crime dramas.

A couple of folks come to mind. 

Sally Field was TV's "Gidget" and "The Flying Nun".  She was an Oscar winner for both "Norma Rae" and "Places In The Heart". 

Ray Milland had a fifties TV series called "The Ray Milland Show", and later a series called "Markham".  He was an Oscar winner for "The Lost Weekend". 

Jane Wyman, years before "Falcon Crest", had a show called "Jane Wyman Presents The Fireside Theater", which was an anthology series that she hosted.  She also starred in many of the episodes.  She was an Oscar winner for "Johnny Belinda". 

Bing Crosby had a series called "The Bing Crosby Show" that didn't last long in the mid-sixties.  He was an Oscar winner for "Going My Way".

James Stewart had two series that didn't last long, "The Jimmy Stewart Show" and "Hawkins".  He won his Oscar for "The Philadelphia Story".

Henry Fonda had a western series in the late fifties called "The Deputy".  It's on the Western Channel every afternoon.  He also had a short-lived 70's series called "The Smith Family".  He won his Oscar for "On Golden Pond".