Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

Lavender and Miles, your answers are all correct! Nice job! Miles wins the thread with seven correct answers.

I was thinking of Alan Alda for question 7, but George Kennedy would fit that description as well. I was not aware that he was an advisor for the show. Thanks for sharing that info!

• Like 1

Recently, TCM showed an old baseball themed movie called "Angels In The Outfield".  In it , the star, Paul Douglas, has a favorite restaurant that he frequents.  I noticed that the hat check woman in the restaurant looked very familiar.  It was Barbara Billingsley, who would later play the mother, June Cleaver, on "Leave It To Beaver".    The father, Hugh Beaumont, had a brief scene in the "Crime Does Not Pay" short shown on TCM this morning.  That gave me the idea for this question about the "Leave It To Beaver" series, which ran for six full seasons from September 1957 to June 1963.  It is currently shown weekdays on FETV at 11:00 and 11:30 AM.  Here's the Cleaver family at the start of the series.

Leave It to Beaver (TV Series 1957–1963) - IMDb 

1.  What was the name of the town where the Cleavers live?

2.  What was June's maiden name?

3.  Beaver had a fireman friend that he would go to for advice.  What was the fireman's name and who was the actor who played the part?

4.  What was the name of Beaver's elementary school?

5.  There were three people who had recurring roles on the show who also had recurring roles on other sitcoms at the same time.  Can you name them?

6.  What former mousketeer appeared several times as Wally's sometime girlfriend? 

7.  Jerry Mathers, who played the Beaver, had previously appeared in a Hitchcock film.  What was that film? 

8.  A young girl, who appeared several time on the show, had also appeared in a Hitchcock movie.  Can you name her and the movie?

9.  The Cleavers sometimes went to a local lake for picnics and fishing.  What was the name of that lake?

10.  Wally and Beaver played ball at a local field.  What was the name of the field?

11.  Wally's friends, Eddie and Lumpy, appeared in every season, but only one of Beaver's friends was on the show for all six seasons.  Who was that friend and who played the part?

12.  A former silent screen actress appeared several times as June's Aunt Martha, who wanted to send Beaver to an exclusive private boarding school.  Who was the actress who played Aunt Martha?

And now a real tough one. 

13.  Beaver's name was really Theodore.  Who was he named after?

Here's the family near the end of the series.

Leave It to Beaver - Where to Watch and Stream - TV Guide

1.Mayfield - the town they live in

2. Bronson - June's maiden name

3 Gus the Fireman - Burt Mustin

4. Grant Avenue Grammar School

5. Richard Deacon( Dick Van Dyke Show ), Doris Packer ( Dobie Gillis) Madge Blake ( The Real McCoys ) 

6. Cheryl Holdridge - Mouseketeer who was Wally's sometimes girlfriend

11.  Whitey Whitney - Stanley Fafara - was on the show all 6 seasons

You are correct, Peebs.  I tried to stay away from a lot of questions about specific episodes, but I think if I had done that then this group would very likely have gotten them all as well.  Thanks to all who played,  Lavender got the most correct, so she gets to go next.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Miles, the show is shown on Me TV and FETV, I think I've seen every episode. Every baby boomer probably has.

Next

In the classic time period ( at least for this thread )1950 -1979, real life siblings either were regulars on the same tv show or were regulars on other shows . Can you name at least 8 pairs of real life siblings and the tv shows they were regular cast members on ?????????????

3) Don Grady--My Three Sons & Lani O'Grady--Eight is Enough 

4) Kevin Corcoran--Spin and Marty as Moochie (Mickey Mouse Club &

Noreen Corcoran--Bachelor Father 

5) Ron Howard as Opie Taylor--The Andy Griffith Show 

& Clint Howard--Gentle Ben 

6) Jerry Mathers--Leave It to Beaver &

Jimmy Mathers--Ichabod and Me

7) Dwayne and Daryl Hickman--Dobie Gillis

Next: 

This performer was a top supporting player on a top Network TV series in the classic era.

The series was so popular that even the supporting performer's name was well known to the public.

So the producer decided to do a spin-off for this performer and put it in the works.

The performer preferred something original and rejected the spinoff.

So an original plot line was created for their series, but the network executives were not impressed with the performer's solo ability to carry the show.

The producer said the performer looked uncomfortable working alone and the network executives thought their original typecasting was too strong to do something new.

Since the thing was already in the works, the producer re-tooled it, got a completely new cast and produced it without the original beloved performer. 

So, who is this beloved supporting performer, what was the original classic TV series and what was the re-tooled new series? 

*Brownie points for the star (s) of the new series.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next: 

This performer was a top supporting player on a top Network TV series in the classic era.

The series was so popular that even the supporting performer's name was well known to the public.

So the producer decided to do a spin-off for this performer and put it in the works.

The performer preferred something original and rejected the spinoff.

So an original plot line was created for their series, but the network executives were not impressed with the performer's solo ability to carry the show.

The producer said the performer looked uncomfortable working alone and the network executives thought their original typecasting was too strong to do something new.

Since the thing was already in the works, the producer re-tooled it, got a completely new cast and produced it without the original beloved performer. 

So, who is this beloved supporting performer, what was the original classic TV series and what was the re-tooled new series? 

*Brownie points for the star (s) of the new series.

20 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1) Everyone on this website has seen the first classic TV series cited above.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2-Although associated with television by the public, this actress' was noted for her stage performances in musicals and dramas.

May I ask if the tv series was from the 1970s?  I have an idea but I could be completely off.

1 minute ago, Peebs said:

May I ask if the tv series was from the 1970s?  I have an idea but I could be completely off.

Without being technical, I see only the 50s and 60s as being classic TV. I see the 70s and '80s as being neo classic.

This is what comes from having a degree in French Literature. 😆 

I hope that answered your question.

• Thanks 1

Vivian Vance in I Love Lucy did not want a spin off of I love Lucy, she hated William Frawley and wouldn't want to work with him again. She wasn't cast in the new show Desi put together called Guestward Ho starring instead, Joanna Dru ?????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Vivian Vance in I Love Lucy did not want a spin off of I love Lucy, she hated William Frawley and wouldn't want to work with him again. She wasn't cast in the new show Desi put together called Guestward Ho starring instead, Joanna Dru ?????

Lav, you've got it. Good work.

I watched "Guestward Ho!" a few times and it wasn't so bad. 

Your thread.....

Thanks Princess. Your very first clue about a show everyone has seen was the tip offI figured it was I Love Lycy and I knew the story about Vivian and Frawley.

I have a busy morning, if anyone wants to post one, go ahead. If not, I'll  try to post one later.

I 

• Like 1

This tv show in the classic time period began it's run on tv  a little more than a month after an exciting real world event took place. The event had an impact on this show. The show wasn't technically a spin off, although the profession of the lead was the same and was on the same network as the other shows that were similiar.

What was the TV Show,  who were the stars of the show and what was happening in real life that had an impact on this show ????