Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

People in show business tend to have a lot of spouses. Sometimes you need a scorecard to keep up. This next quiz will see how well you remember famous Ex-spouses in classic TV. 

Please identify the Ex-spouse in question, along with one of their TV series.

1)She was the foreign -born ex-wife of a TV actor who became a big movie star. He was even more famous as the "boyfriend" of classic TV's most successful female singer with her own music / variety series.

*The ex-wife co-starred in several sitcoms--please name 1. 

X2) He was the Ex-husband of a popular classic TV actress who had her own TV sitcoms on CBS. Prior to that she had her own movie series at MGM. The couple had one daughter.

The ex-husband appeared in  several classic TV sitcoms--one was with his current wife at the time.

*Please name 1 of the Ex-husband's sitcoms. 

X3) This ex-husband had a wife who worked behind the scenes in philanthropy and politics in Hollywood. Mainly because she was promoting her brother who had political aspirations for the nation's highest office. The husband had worked in classic movies at a big studio and segued into a classic mystery TV series, which was based on a series of popular films from that same studio.

*Please name the ex-husband's TV mystery show.

4) This ex-husband was born in a foreign country and had worked at several big studios as a supporting actor in The Golden Era. He worked in a sitcom with his wife, but quit after they divorced. However, he continued to work behind the scenes in producing and directing other sitcoms.

Please name 1 of the sitcoms that this Ex-husband was associated with.

5) This ex-husband had great success as a movie star at a major studio. Before he moved into his own TV police dramatic series, he divorced his movie star wife. While his current wife, an actress from a foreign country, appeared with him on this TV show.

*Please name the Ex-husband's TV police series.

**For for each question--remember to identify the Ex-spouse in question and their particular classic TV series.

We still need #1,#4 & #5.

#5 would be Robert Taylor.  His ex-wife was Barbara Stanwyck.  His second wife was German model and actress Ursula Thiess, who worked with him on his TV series "The Detectives".  Barbara Stanwyck, of course, went on to star in the TV series "The Big Valley".

• Like 1

#1 would be Judy Carne, the English born ex-wife of Burt Reynolds.  She was a regular on TV's "Rowan And Martin's Laugh-In", while he had starred in "Riverboat" and had a supporting role for a while on "Gunsmoke".  He was the "boyfriend" of singer Dinah Shore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball. After their divorce Desi produced  The Mothers in Law and directed an episode ??

Lav, I thought you would get that one first! Did you watch Lucy on Sunday?

Great playing by both you and Miles.

Lav, you've got this one again if you want it.

Thanks

Thanks Princess.

Next

This fast talking man was the narrator on a hit tv series in the classic time period. He began his career in vaudeville that lead to a career change. There have been films based on his persona. Who was he and what tv show did he narrate ??  ( extra credit for titles of films based on him ) ?

46 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess.

Next

This fast talking man was the narrator on a hit tv series in the classic time period. He began his career in vaudeville that lead to a career change. There have been films based on his persona. Who was he and what tv show did he narrate ??  ( extra credit for titles of films based on him ) ?

He was a very controversial person, Walter Winchell.

The film you're referring to is Burt Lancaster's character in "Sweet Smell of Success." 

Winchell was once the most powerful newspaper columnist in America, but by the time he was the narrator for the TV show "The Untouchables, he was somewhat of a "has been". I can remember my father reading his column at the breakfast table. It seems like I also remember he had a TV show himself. According to history, he was an unsavory character, like the one in the movie.

There was another earlier film that was originally a play titled Blessed Event, that was based on his character. Walter Winchell and The Untouchables and Sweet Smell of Success  , that about covers the question., good job your turn, Princess

• Thanks 1

This actress became a household favorite in an extremely popular classic sitcom. But she didn't start out at all to be an actress.

After college she went into journalism, briefly joined the military and then ended up in Hollywood working in PR.

Those in the know saw her talent and convinced her to go for it.

She created a memorable character in an early classic sitcom. It was a popular series. She was the guest actress in other classic TV shows before reaching her career high point as a regular in a classic sitcom, which remains near the top of the list in popularity. And again she created a beloved character, supporting the stars of this phenomenally successful sitcom.

Hint#1--After the series ended, she reinvented herself for a completely different career pursuit. 

When you identify this actress and her two popular sitcoms, you can also name any other films or series that you have enjoyed her in.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:28 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This actress became a household favorite in an extremely popular classic sitcom. But she didn't start out at all to be an actress.

After college she went into journalism, briefly joined the military and then ended up in Hollywood working in PR.

Those in the know saw her talent and convinced her to go for it.

She created a memorable character in an early classic sitcom. It was a popular series. She was the guest actress in other classic TV shows before reaching her career high point as a regular in a classic sitcom, which remains near the top of the list in popularity. And again she created a beloved character, supporting the stars of this phenomenally successful sitcom.

Hint#1--After the series ended, she reinvented herself for a completely different career pursuit. 

When you identify this actress and her two popular sitcoms, you can also name any other films or series that you have enjoyed her in.

Hint#2--Before getting her second and most iconic sitcom role, she made guest star appearances in top classics shows like--" I Love Lucy" and "Perry Mason".

I think it's Nancy Kulp.  Before playing Jane Hathaway on "The Beverly Hillbillies", she was a semi-regular on "The Bob Cummings Show".  She was also in movies like "Shane" and "The Three Faces Of Eve", as well as a  popular 1961 Disney movie called "The Parent Trap".  If I'm right, Princess, you can tell everyone what happened when she delved into politics.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I think it's Nancy Kulp.  Before playing Jane Hathaway on "The Beverly Hillbillies", she was a semi-regular on "The Bob Cummings Show".  She was also in movies like "Shane" and "The Three Faces Of Eve", as well as a  popular 1961 Disney movie called "The Parent Trap".  If I'm right, Princess, you can tell everyone what happened when she delved into politics.

I was waiting for you to see this.

This must be our "Beverly Hillbillies" weekend. 

When she went into politics she was opposed by the star of "The Beverly Hillbillies".  She was in a state contest--not in California--but Buddy Ebsen went out of his way to campaign against her.

Then eventually it came out that he'd always been nasty to her on the set for years.

But, reportedly they made up in the end. So all is well that ends well.

Miles, it's now your turn to ride your horse to the next question.

BTW--Miles, well done and thorough as usual. You spoil me.😲

In this thread, when we talk about old TV shows in the classic time period, we are referring to the fifties, sixties and seventies.  The following people were young actors and actresses in TV series in that time period.  As they grew older, some changed a little, some changed a lot.  Sadly, some are no longer with us.  Can you identify each person and also name a TV show that they were cast members on?  Some were stars and some were supporting players.

1.  image.jpeg.c728e9b9dcb49e6c9ce98491702bf5b9.jpeg 

2.  image.jpeg.3a1f1b0bc273ad9c2a5de04df1041a9f.jpeg 

3.  image.jpeg.a134555158f22acca06d39dfe5a564ad.jpeg 

4.  image.jpeg.1bf31054b1df2a0c98462f69aaafcaaa.jpeg 

5.  image.jpeg.b0c611fdd595a9de48b642c1ce46fadf.jpeg 

6.  image.jpeg.aee1b23e7853495744db5dd37917e4ca.jpeg 

7.  Showbiz Analysis with Angela Cartwright 

8.  image.jpeg.42ddc8ef42020a6396ba6be3f700f1db.jpeg 

9.  image.jpeg.c2b0ddd6db2a72123c25214de4132506.jpeg 

10.   image.jpeg.b010dde6b83e0a6b1ae9ffd542d1fe83.jpeg 

11.  Jon Provost - Movies, Age & Biography 

12.  Paul Petersen: Movies, TV, and Bio  

13.  image.jpeg.7e6272299c399101f8c4306f6967ff0b.jpeg 

14.  image.jpeg.3dcd2212bc21ae371e40ee402555558e.jpeg 

15.  image.jpeg.bdcdcf8d108d25462aa2ca273e9beccd.jpeg 

The last one may be a bit unfair because this gal was quite young when she was a TV series regular.

If you need any help with any of them, just ask!

image.jpeg

6. Bobby Diamond,  Joey on. Fury

8  .Brandon Cruz, Eddie on The Courtship of Eddie's Father

9.  Johnny Whitaker. Jody on Family Affair

10.   Stephen Talbot,  Gilbert on Leave It To Beaver

13.  Johnny Washbrook, Ken on My Friend Flicka

15.  Erin Murphy, Tabitha on Bewitched 

?????????????

Confused about the last photo #10 that's posted after Erin Murphy

I think #10 on your list is Stephen Talbot ?

Wow, Lav and Princess, you two got them all!  I thought these would be tough and I was preparing clues for some of them.  The photo at the end of Stephen Talbot was what I had originally posted as #10, but I thought no one would get him from that photo, so I replaced it with a younger black and white shot.  However, the color photo somehow showed up at the end, so I left it there.  

I thought Erin Murphy would be tough as she was just a toddler on "Bewitched", and I would not have recognized Brandon Cruz and Lauren Chapin if someone else had posted them.   

Congratulations, ladies, for a job well done!  Princess got the most, so she gets the thread. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

6. Bobby Diamond,  Joey on. Fury

8  .Brandon Cruz, Eddie on The Courtship of Eddie's Father

9.  Johnny Whitaker. Jody on Family Affair

10.   Stephen Talbot,  Gilbert on Leave It To Beaver

13.  Johnny Washbrook, Ken on My Friend Flicka

15.  Erin Murphy, Tabitha on Bewitched 

?????????????

Confused about the last photo #10 that's posted after Erin Murphy

I think #10 on your list is Stephen Talbot ?

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Wow, Lav and Princess, you two got them all!  I thought these would be tough and I was preparing clues for some of them.  The photo at the end of Stephen Talbot was what I had originally posted as #10, but I thought no one would get him from that photo, so I replaced it with a younger black and white shot.  However, the color photo somehow showed up at the end, so I left it there.  

I thought Erin Murphy would be tough as she was just a toddler on "Bewitched", and I would not have recognized Brandon Cruz and Lauren Chapin if someone else had posted them.   

Congratulations, ladies, for a job well done!  Princess got the most, so she gets the thread. 

Lav, You got the really hard ones. So I yield to you, if you want it.

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, You got the really hard ones. So I yield to you, if you want it.

Thsnks Princess, I'll take it

This actress had a long career. She appeared in many films from the time she was a child. In the classic time period,  she was one of the major cast members in a hit tv series. Although she played an older teenager and was one in real life,she was married in real life. While the series was still on the air she had her first child in teal life.  Married and a mother in real life but still living at home with the parents in the tv show. Who was she and what was the hit tv show ??

• Like 1

I think it's Elinor Donahue from "Father Knows Best".  I looked up her bio and found that she was born in 1937 and started on the show in 1954 when she was seventeen.  I also found this article on a website called "Closer":

During her time on Father Knows Best, Elinor was married to her first husband, Richard Smith. He was working as a sound producer on the show when he fell in love with the star. The pair got married in 1955 and welcomed their son, Brian, almost a year later. They ended their marriage in 1961.  

She later married producer Harry Ackerman and had three more sons. 

Here's Elinor with her oldest son, Brian, in 1961, when she was working on "The Andy Griffith Show".

Elinor Donahue — Elinor with her son, Brian!