Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

20 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I think it's Elinor Donahue from "Father Knows Best".  I looked up her bio and found that she was born in 1937 and started on the show in 1954 when she was seventeen.  I also found this article on a website called "Closer":

During her time on Father Knows Best, Elinor was married to her first husband, Richard Smith. He was working as a sound producer on the show when he fell in love with the star. The pair got married in 1955 and welcomed their son, Brian, almost a year later. They ended their marriage in 1961.  

She later married producer Harry Ackerman and had three more sons. 

Here's Elinor with her oldest son, Brian, in 1961, when she was working on "The Andy Griffith Show".

Elinor Donahue — Elinor with her son, Brian!

Yes Elinor Donahue , she was 17 when she began as Betty Anderson on Father Knows  Best. 2 months after turning 18 she was married and had her son almost a year later.. Goodie 2 shoes Betty was not so innocent after all. While watching the show, I never would have guessed that she was married and had a baby. 

Good work Miles, it's your thread

23 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here's one for you western fans.  What TV western hero of the classic time period used a gun that was referred to as a "Mare's Leg" or "Mare's Laig"?  

Wanted Dead or Alive, the gun Steve McQueen used on the show

Yes, Lavender, that's the one.  It was actually a sawed-off shotgun that Steve McQueen, as bounty hunter Josh Randall, carried in a special holster.

stevemcqueen.jpg.webp 

There was never a real gun like it in the old west.  It was made specifically for the TV show by a gunsmith.  Gun experts say it was very inaccurate and since it took two hands to operate it, a hand gun would have made much more sense for McQueen.  It sold at a charity auction for about $23,700 and it was purchased by French singer Gilbert Becaud.

Gilbert Bécaud, Steve McQueen The Winchester 44/40 made famous by the  character of Josh Randall in the "Wanted, Dead or Alive" TV series was sold  in a charity auction in Paris and 

Of course, there was a toy model for kids.  My brother had this plastic model:

Pook & Pook Inc. 

By the way,  "Wanted: Dead Or Alive" is on weekday afternoons on the Starz Encore Western Channel.

Nice work, Lavender.  You're up next. 

Thsnks Miles

Next

This character actor has had a 60 plus year career in films and especially tv

He's played a spy, a neighbor to the lead of the show, a restaurant owner and a doctor just to name some of the roles he's played on successful,  long running tv shows in the classic time period

Who's the actor and the titles of the shows he played the spy. the neighbor. the restaurant owner and the doctor???

21 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Bernie Kopell?  He played a spy on "Get Smart", a neighbor to the star on "That Girl", a restaurant owner on "The Doris Day Show", and, of course, the ship's doctor on "The Love Boat".

image.jpeg.c619a54e2e6f6cde5140e62e7c071fa4.jpeg

Bernie's the guy, Miles. He's had a 61 year career and he's still working , he's 89 years old. A very familiar face to baby boomers 

Good work Miles, your thread.

Thanks, Lavender.  I recently had a post about Steve McQueen's gun on his TV show.  This, hopefully, will be the last question of that type.

What TV western hero carried a "Buntline Special" and what made it so special?

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  I recently had a post about Steve McQueen's gun on his TV show.  This, hopefully, will be the last question of that type.

What TV western hero carried a "Buntline Special" and what made it so special?

Full disclosure here on this one too.

In grade school, we had to study Kansas History every year. We knew what Carrie Nation's hatchet looked like and we saw replicas of Amelia Earhart's airplanes. But Wyatt Earp never had a Buntline Special in Wichita or Dodge City. If he had, I would have seen it. We had films, slideshows and books about all this stuff. It's wild west fantasy or I guess they call it legend.

But I guess you could say for sure that Hugh O'Brian probably had one when he played Wyatt Earp on TV. It was a Colt with a long barrel 12"to even 16" Long. 

Miles, I bet you had one of these as a kid. 

For a guy from Connecticut, you sure like the Wild West.

Princess, I didn't have  that gun as a kid.  I did, however, have a replica of John Payne's gun from "The Restless Gun".  It had a rifle stock you could attach to the handle and a barrel extension to screw on to the existing barrel, making it into a rifle. 

Hugh O'Brian's "Buntline Special" was indeed more legend than fact.  Here are photos:

EMF Buntline .45 LC Special  Did The “Buntline Special” Gun Really Exist? - True West Magazine  

Ned Buntline was a writer of cheap books, or "dime novels", that made superheroes of Wyatt Earp, Buffalo Bill, and several other notable figures in the west.    Very little of what he wrote was fact and there is no evidence that he ever presented Wyatt Earp with the "Buntline Special".   

Nice work, Princess the thread is yours.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, MilesArcher said:

Princess, I didn't have  that gun as a kid.  I did, however, have a replica of John Payne's gun from "The Restless Gun".  It had a rifle stock you could attach to the handle and a barrel extension to screw on to the existing barrel, making it into a rifle. 

Hugh O'Brian's "Buntline Special" was indeed more legend than fact.  Here are photos:

EMF Buntline .45 LC Special  Did The “Buntline Special” Gun Really Exist? - True West Magazine  

Ned Buntline was a writer of cheap books, or "dime novels", that made superheroes of Wyatt Earp, Buffalo Bill, and several other notable figures in the west.    Very little of what he wrote was fact and there is no evidence that he ever presented Wyatt Earp with the "Buntline Special".   

Nice work, Princess the thread is yours.

Princess, your thread

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, your thread

Next: 

This actor was a pioneer and a trailblazer. And the same can be said for his credits.

He appeared on Broadway and in film, but his claim to fame was classic TV.

He was a guest actor on classic TV which, of course, included "Perry Mason". His appearances on a classic legendary sci-fi TV series were also notable. But his participation as a regular cast member in an unconventional hit classic sitcom was groundbreaking.

If all that wasn't enough, he went on to become a very successful TV director, handling the hits of the day on up through the 90s.

In addition to all that, he also directed some theatrical films, one being avant-garde and controversial at the same time.

When you identify this actor/director, also list some of his credits, including his groundbreaking classic TV sitcom.

Ivan Dixon (I doubled check cuz I didn't think he ever been on Perry Mason but I was surprisingly wrong) and as for the hit sitcom, its my favorite Hogan's Heroes. Some other thing's he's either acted in or directed: 

The Waltons ( directed 7 episodes) 

The Outer Limits (guest starred) 

The Twilight Zone (guest starred) 

Magnum P.I. (directed 13 episodes) 

etc.. 

8 hours ago, Desilufan said:

Ivan Dixon (I doubled check cuz I didn't think he ever been on Perry Mason but I was surprisingly wrong) and as for the hit sitcom, its my favorite Hogan's Heroes. Some other thing's he's either acted in or directed: 

The Waltons ( directed 7 episodes) 

The Outer Limits (guest starred) 

The Twilight Zone (guest starred) 

Magnum P.I. (directed 13 episodes) 

etc.. 

Yes, Ivan Dixon had an incredible career.

He was actually on Broadway in "Raisin in the Sun" and also in the movie. 

After breaking all those barriers as a black actor on classic TV he went on to direct "The A-Team" in the 1980s and James Garner in "The Rockford Files". 

Desilu--it's all yours.....

• Like 1

Thanks Princess :), 

continuing with the Hogan's Heroes theme,

we all know Bob Crane's famous leather jacket he wore as Hogan on Hogan's Heroes, but before Bob got to wear it,  it is said to have been worn by a certain crooner in a WWII movie about escaping P.O.Ws. Please name the singer/actor and what movie he is said to have worn the jacket in. 

Thank you, DESILUFAN.   :)

My question has to do with my moniker.  The 1941 movie Hellzapoppin was nominated for an Oscar for Best Song, "Pig Foot Pete," music by Gene de Paul; lyrics by Don Raye.   It lost to "White Christmas."

What was the odd fact about the song "Pig Foot Pete" and its Oscar nod for Hellzapoppin?  The Academy's own website calls this fact a "mystery."

Answer:  The song is not in the movie.  Here's the quote from the Academy's website:

"Pig Foot Pete," Music by Gene de Paul; Lyrics by Don Raye

[NOTE: This nomination is a mystery. Both the nominations list and the program from the Awards dinner list the song as being from Hellzapoppin', a 1942 release for Awards purposes. The song does not appear in that film, but did appear in Keep 'Em Flying, a 1941 release from the same production company and studio, and was therefore ineligible for a 1942 nomination.]

The star of this long running hit show was not the first choice to play the lead although he was a famous leading  film actor. Another actor  known in films was offered the role but he wanted to focus on a film career. He was more of a supporting sctor,  he had been Oscar nominated before this tv show. What was the tv show and who were the 2 actors ???