Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

Bingo! Edythe, you gave the perfect answer. Your turn.

Thanks for your participation in this thread Terrence. :)

This squeaky clean sponsor of a popular series that started in the 50's sponsored the whole 17 yrs on TV. It was the 1st sponsor to contract product placement. You could always find it somewhere in at least one of the scenes. What series and who was the sponsor ???  

Very good, lav. Campbell soup sponsored the whole 17 yrs with Lassie. Their contract required placing a can of Campbell soup in the Miller's kitchen  :) You know I'm a sucker for anything remotely connected to "Lassie". Your turn 

Very good, lav. Campbell soup sponsored the whole 17 yrs with Lassie. Their contract required placing a can of Campbell soup in the Miller's kitchen  :) You know I'm a sucker for anything remotely connected to "Lassie". Your turn 

You're not the only one Edy, I watch the tv Lassie re-runs LOL

This big budgeted commercial had a social message besides selling a product. What was the product?

It is The Real Thing Coke commercial. Mad Men used it in the finale episode and it was a brilliant ending to the series. Good work Miles, your thread and Thanks for posting the clip  :)

Thanks. Lav.  It is still a catchy commercial.  Speaking of commercial jingles. a well known company, especially in the northeast, had to change their commercial jingle when they were sued by the governor of New York for using his family's name in their jingle.  Do you know what that product was?

Thanks. Lav.  It is still a catchy commercial.  Speaking of commercial jingles. a well known company, especially in the northeast, had to change their commercial jingle when they were sued by the governor of New York for using his family's name in their jingle.  Do you know what that product was?

Chock Full o' Nuts coffee?

Is it Chock full o'Nuts coffee...Nelson Rockefeller

Chock full o’Nuts is that heavenly coffee,

Heavenly coffee, heavenly coffee.

Better coffee Rockefeller’s money can’t buy.[8]?

Is it Chock full 'oNuts coffee...Nelson Rockefeller

Heavenly coffee, heavenly coffee.

Better coffee Rockefeller’s money can’t buy.[8]?

Though my response was not as complete, I beat you to the punch.

You better make that decaf, Edythe.  He's been kind of hyper lately.  Yes, Chock Full O'Nuts changed their jingle to eliminate the name Rockefeller.  The line became "Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy".  More recently, they've made another change and now that phrase is "billionaire's money".  OK, DGF, you got in a couple of minutes ahead of Edythe.  It's your turn.

You better make that decaf, Edythe.  He's been kind of hyper lately.  Yes, Chock Full O'Nuts changed their jingle to eliminate the name Rockefeller.  The line became "Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy".  More recently, they've made another change and now that phrase is "billionaire's money".  OK, DGF, you got in a couple of minutes ahead of Edythe.  It's your turn.

This 1950s hit record, about the development of a rock and roll star, was actually sung by a different artist than the one whose name appears on the label. Song? Artist on Label? The actual singer?

This 1950s hit record, about the development of a rock and roll star, was actually sung by a different artist than the one whose name appears on the label. Song? Artist on Label? The actual singer?

Hint: For the title, think, e.g., of Johnny Manziel.

Hint: For the title, think, e.g., of Johnny Manziel.

Hint: The beginning lyrics of the song are "Gather round........."

Hint: The beginning lyrics of the song are "Gather round........."

"Gather round, cats............, and I'll tell you a story............"

The song is "The All American Boy"  It was written and sung by Bobby Bare.  Just before he was inducted into the army, Bare recorded a demo for his friend Bill Parsons to listen to and then record his own version.  The record company, Fraternity Records, liked Bare's version and used it for the record, but they erroneously credited Parsons on the label.

A better reference than Johnny Manziel might have been Jack Armstrong.

The song is "The All American Boy"  It was written and sung by Bobby Bare.  Just before he was inducted into the army, Bare recorded a demo for his friend Bill Parsons to listen to and then record his own version.  The record company, Fraternity Records, liked Bare's version and used it for the record, but they erroneously credited Parsons on the label.

A better reference than Johnny Manziel might have been Jack Armstrong.

For that last remark, you get a.......Yes, yours.

I think DGF is just jealous because he wishes that he thought of Jack Armstrong before I did.  Now, not all of my questions in this thread deal with TV westerns, but this one does.  Many of us remember "The Roy Rogers Show" from the fifties.  On the show, Dale Evans ran a small restaurant and Pat Brady worked for her.  Let's see how many folks remember some details.  What was the name of the town and what was the name of Dale's restaurant?  What was the name of Dale's horse?  Can you name the show's original breakfast cereal sponsor?  Can you sing the show's closing theme?  That's the easy one.   

I think DGF is just jealous because he wishes that he thought of Jack Armstrong before I did.  Now, not all of my questions in this thread deal with TV westerns, but this one does.  Many of us remember "The Roy Rogers Show" from the fifties.  On the show, Dale Evans ran a small restaurant and Pat Brady worked for her.  Let's see how many folks remember some details.  What was the name of the town and what was the name of Dale's restaurant?  What was the name of Dale's horse?  Can you name the show's original breakfast cereal sponsor?  Can you sing the show's closing theme?  That's the easy one.   

Mineral City was the town, Eureka was the restaurant, Buttermilk  was Dale's Horse, Post Ceral sponsored the show. Of course I can sing Happy Trails, do it all the time  :D

Yes, it was the Eureka Cafe in Mineral City, and Dale's horse was indeed named Buttermilk.  Post Cereals was the sponsor and specifically Post Sugar Crisp.  I might not have ever tried Sugar Crisp if they hadn't sponsored Roy's Show.  Later in the series, Post advertised their other cereals as well.  Lavenderblue and all of the rest of the buckaroos can sing along to this clip:

Saddle up, Lavender.  It's your turn.

LOL Thanks Miles  :)

This actress played a character on a continuing series as a guest star for 1 episode. A spin-off was created starring the same actress playing the same character. Actress, the tv show she first appeared on  as this character and the spin-off series ???

LOL Thanks Miles  :)

This actress played a character on a continuing series as a guest star for 1 episode. A spin-off was created starring the same actress playing the same character. Actress, the tv show she first appeared on  as this character and the spin-off series ???

First guess on this is Bea Arthur playing Maude Findlay on "All in the Family" spinning off to "Maude" ?