Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TOMORROW IS FOREVER

Ray Faiola

You created that trailer, Ray? Wow, I'm really impressed. It's been years since I saw Tomorrow Is Forever but you made me want to see it again!

Without prying too much, can you make trailers like that for many films? Is this something that you can do on your computer with some kind of software?

If so, for an old movie buff, that's got to be a lot of fun, particularly if it's for a film that you really love.

Knowing that you're a real Max Steiner buff (and seeing the big plug that you gave for ol' Max in that trailer, too), you must be able to have a great time throwing Steiner trailers together, showing Warners the stuff you could have done for them back in the day.

This film is not one immediately associates with Orson Welles. He is only acting in it and not directing, but he gives a subdued performance. None of the usual Welles bombast is present like in Jane Eyre which was made around the same time. I like the film so I'm glad TCM is showing it on December 14.

Yes, I use a program called Cyberlink Power Director 12. I always run trailers for upcoming films at my screenings and there are quite a few favorites for which trailers don't survive. So now I can remedy that. I then send a high def file to a chap in Italy and he writes it to 16mm film for me.

I also did one for SHE:

I try to do them in the style that the studio used that year. For SHE, I used cast stills as RKO did in LITTLE WOMEN, SON OF KONG and others.

And, yes, I did a program of Steiner trailers for my annual Trailer Mania show at CineFest in Syracuse a couple of years ago.

I watched your trailer for She. Another impressive effort on a film with great music by Max Steiner.

You must derive a lot of fun and satisfaction with that software program, Ray. On top of everything, it can also be a highly effective way to promote a film that you really like. And to then put it on YouTube, who knows how many people may watch your trailer and then be intrigued enough to followup by seeking out the film. Perhaps, in your modest own way, you're making a contribution to the DVD sales of older films (not to mention CD sales of some of that film music).

Well, frankly, there are hundreds - if not thousands - of trailers on youtube, not to mention here at TCM. So my contribution is just faux-filling in some longstanding holes. Besides, trailers are FUN!!!

I restored the soundtrack to the THIS IS THE ARMY trailer. For my print, I recreated Warner Anderson's original narration. When I loaned the trailer to Warners, however, for the DVD, I sent them a track without narration as I didn't think it appropriate to have a phony voice. But at least I was able to let fans of the film see the only surviving footage of Ezra Stone singing "The Army's Made a Man Out of Me", which was cut from the feature before release.

I may be the only person alive whose favorite Orson Welles movie is Tomorrow Is Forever, but I'm glad you were thinking of me when you chose it to make a trailer of. I am impressed beyond words that anyone could mimic the style of those 1940's trailers as believably as that.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings