Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not ALREADY dead?

Sepiatone

There was a news blurb on my AOL homepage about French director Georges Lautner passing away. When I clicked on it to read, there was a link to a list of celebrities who also passed this year( so far), so I perused through it and discovered MICHAEL ANSARA died back in July.

Thing is, I thought he died YEARS ago!

Same thing happened a couple or so years ago when I heard singer GENE PITNEY died.

How often has this happened to anyone else?

Sepiatone

Well, I MAY be alone here, but I thought Abe Vigoda had died years ago!

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

And I have a theory here as to why you might have thought Ansara died years ago, Sepia.

And it's 'cause after you've become divorced from the luscious Barbara Eden, what else WOULD there be to live for, HUH?!

(...sorry, couldn't resist THAT one EITHER!) ;)

I heard some time back that when the actor Frank Cady who played Sam Drucker on "Green Acres" passed away, only Sam Lester was the only surviving cast member.

Recently I was glad to hear the actress Mary Grace Canfield is still alive at age 87. She played in films like "Pollyana" I was surprised because she looked older in "Green Acres" which I though was around 60.

7417.jpg

GreenAc231FrankCadyMaryGraceCanfield.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Nov 24, 2013 8:31 PM

> Matthew Ansara, the son Michael Ansara had with Barbara Eden died around ten years ago, (circa) of a drug overdose. Maybe that made it kind of confusing?

I could see where it would, if not for the fact I thought MICHAEL died long before that.

Russ Gibb jumped on the "Paul is dead" idea thanks to an anonymous caller to his radio show. It snowballed from there. Some of the "proof" was in the closing line in "Strawberry Fields", where somebody in slowing down tape says, "Strawberry fields..." and hoaxers claimed it was LENNON actually saying, "I buried Paul". If you listen closely, you can get yourself to hear it be either. I vote for "strawberry fields".

Sepiatone

My memory often plays tricks on me regarding old stars who I think have already died or those who have died who I think are still alive. Hard to keep things straight.

"I'm very bored" was another candidate for the spoken words at the end of

Strawberry Fields Forever. And Lennon did later write Those freaks were right when they said you were dead. :)

>Still having a turntable and the vinyl copy of "Magical Mystery Tour", I played it at 45rpm, and it IS "Strawberry fields". Still couldn't make out whose voice it was.

Well Sepia, if you played a 33rpm LP at 45rpm, MY guess is that the voice sounded as if it came from either Simon, Theodore OR Alvin!!!

I'm just glad the title of this thread is "Not Already Dead?" as opposed to "Not already Passed Away", or even "Not Already Passed" (Passed what? An exam? A kidney stone?)

I've noticed the increasing use of these terms - "Passed Away", or worse, "Passed" - over the last few years. What's the matter with the word "died"? Dying is a fact of life, it's part of life. The growing squeamishness over referring directly to death, to saying that someone died, is not only tiresome, it's a kind of denial of one of the most basic realities in life - yup, it comes to an end.

The other day I heard a zoologist talking about some environmental problem that was causing an abnormally high fatality rate in some woodland creature - rabbits, I think. The zoologist spoke of the animals "passing away".

Are we so reluctant to use the word that now we can't even refer to some random animal's expiration as its "death"? No, that would be shocking - that poor rabbit didn't die, it "passed".

My father died a few years ago. I loved and respected him, and was very sad to lose him. At the time it happened, and now, I tell people that he died. I never say he "Passed Away". My using the word "died" is not harsh or impolite or disrespectful...my dad's life ended. The right and proper word for that event is "death". Saying that he "passed" will not change anything or bring him back to life.

It's a stupid euphemism.

That's my rant for the day. Thank you.

Edited by: misswonderly on Nov 27, 2013 10:19 AM

> According to both McCartney and Lennon, it is John Lennon who says it and he is saying cranberry sauce.

Those guys, especially Lennon, used to like to have a lot of "fun" with the press. Like Lennon's explanation of why they spelled Beatles with an "A".

"I had a dream where a lady came to me on a flaming pie. She said, 'It should be BEATLES with an A' and so it is!"

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings