Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
katyscar11ett

Tyrone Power

I love Ty Power and haven't seen any of his movies here - except for Marie Antoinette - in ages. It seems that certain movies seem difficult for TCM to "get" - works by Twentieth Century Fox, I think, seems to be some of the least shown. I know Warner's are shown all the time but it seems that some of the movies that I really miss seeing, or have never seen, are by the same studios. Anyone have any insight? Sure wish they would show all Ty Power's greatest (and what wasn't great starring Ty) movies.

And NO, just for the record, I do not believe Ty Power was gay, bi, or anything else but totally heterosexual. People sure come out with a lot of unbelievable garbage after someone is dead and can't respond to it. I used to be able to either take or leave Caesar Romero - never one of my favs - but now I'd much rather leave him, thank you. :-)

I could be wrong but I would suspect that the Fox Movie Channel would be stingy about licensing their movies because they want people to watch their channel rather than Fox films shown on TCM. They can only dream of showing the kinds of films TCM broadcasts. Fox Home Entertainment has finally released NIGHTMARE ALLEY on DVD, never before officially available, and probably Power's more daring, original work.

Hey, I like TCM also BUT lately I watch Fox--more interesting films. Tcm too hung up on ancient silent & early 20 - 30's 'things' with hardly any recognizable names and the one's they do show which are fine (almost continually) Well, saw same thing within a 10 day period. What tcm ought to do is revamp their inventory. C'mon people we've seen them all (or most) before.

Ok leo--don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. You're just on your weekly rant about silents & precodes. Never mind that they haven't shown many in the last few weeks. But there's no point in talking to you or trying to convince you because you'll just go away for a few days and then come back and start the same old song all over again. I've been posting here for 2 years and you can pretty much set your watch to when you're going to crawl out of the woodwork. So go over to Fox Movie Channel. Most people I've seen post about that channel is that they repeat movies way more than TCM does.

Katyscar11ett,

I've seen several Ty Power movies on TCM - The Black Swan, The Mark of Zorro, Witness for the Prosecution, The Eddy Duchin Story. It's been awhile but I believe they've run Blood and Sand, The Sun Also Rises, The Razor's Edge. I'd love to see The Mississippi Gambler again (I think I've seen it out here only once or twice)-same with Captain from Castile. But I do agree he's totally wonderful and exceptionally handsome-one of my all time fav's. I also love him in Abandon Ship-great! film. As for his sexuality, I agree there too. If he had any indiscretions, I don't care either. He was a great actor and had sensuality that lit up the screen! As for TCM not running his films, not sure on that. And if anyone knows, I'd love to get The Mississippi Gambler on DVD but I don't think it's ever been released? Maybe some Twentieth Century Fox issues there? As for Caesar Romero, I liked his work. I thought he always did a pretty good job in his roles. I'm curious, was there ever any bad blood between him and Ty Power or do you just not care for Caesar in general?

Hey Leo, speaking of reruns, I just checked the Fox Movie schedule for today and they are running the movie "The War of the Roses" four (4) times in a row!!!!

Perhaps you just better appreciate TCM a little more.

Mongo

Not fair --when repeats which are all over any channel - I just pass. And like it or not I tire of esoteric fare they show like those mexican things they showed - just who the hell do U think is watching? That programmer ought to be unloaded and he can take most of the things I care not to watch with him. Furthermore, tcm changed drastically in last 4 or 5 yrs. So you're happy, great - I frankly am not! Suppose I'm more discering than you; more classic my taste runs AND, being old does not by definition make it a classic film to see.

So there>>>

That's only your opinion Leo--I've seen no one else on these boards wholesalely complain about the programming besides you.

Don't know whom exactly initiated this one on: Tyrone Power-(1913-58)?

(TRIVIA: Most on here likely know his father was a bit of a silent star as well)

Anyway, TCM of course has it's limitations-(20th Century Fox was his "Dream Factory"/"Studio") I've virtually nagged for yrs. about a couple of *Spencer Tracy's earliest works at the then just Fox Studios-(turned into 20th Century Fox in '35) Though to say he despised it there is vast undersatement!

Due to the roles he was getting. However, his debut helmed by: *Ford 1930's "Up the River" & 1933's highly acclaimed "A Man's Castle" are the 2 biggies I complain about myself!

TCM does often air a few though of Power's-(I am not a fan though. For my doe, Errol Flynn was far greater in thee so-called "Swashbuckling" roles! Ironically, they both appeared towards end of both men's lives in Hemingway's 1957 "Sun Also Rises"-(Flynn's closest shot at earning an OSCAR nomination, but id did not happen)

But it was Power that died before him, strangely during a dueling sequence with: *George Sanders-(sudden heart attack) I believe that role was later re-cast with: *Yul Brynner?

They do air that '57 flick, as well as 1937's "In 0ld Chicago" & mostly 1942's "The Black Swan"

& his grave, if your ever in Tinsel-Town, is among the most famously advertised "Hollywood Forever Cem"-(it borders Paramount & old RKO)

It's essentially a large bench.

For the record, a lotta' lady fans-(I read this in "Films of Golden Age") lost a wee-bit of affection for Power. When they noticed at his wedding to Linda Darnell-(sadly, died in a 1965 fire!)

He was another that wore lifts in his shoes!?-(sounds to this viewer as though those women were pretty shallow though, huh?)

Whatever?

Hi Myidolspencer,

Just a slight correction for you.......

Tyrone Power married Linda Christian, not Linda Darnell. He starred with Darnell and probably should have married her. The pairing with Christian was volitile, to say the least.

I remember quite vividly when he married Linda Christian. He had been the boyfriend of Lana Turner for about 2 years and then suddenly turned up married to Christian. This sent Lana for a loop and she quite unexpectedly married Bob Topping (I was at that wedding).

Topping was a millionaire and Lana made out like a bandit 4 years later when she divorced him.

Linda Christian divorced Tyrone Power at about the same time and didn't do quite as well as Lana in the money department, but she did have 2 beautiful girls from the marriage.

I believe Linda Christian is still alive and living in Rome. I always liked her, she was quite a party girl and lots of fun.... Don't know where the girls, Romina and Taryn, are though -- maybe Mongo does?

Larry

BTW, I loved Linda Darnell too - she was gorgeous and a good friend of Ann Miller!!!!

Larry, for your information Linda Christian is now 80 and living in Mexico.

Her daughter Romina Power is 54 and making films in Italy.

Her daughter Taryn Power is 52 and was on screen last in 1980.

Miss Christian also broke up the marriage of Edmund Purdon, and wound marry and later divorce him.

Mongo

Hi Mongo,

Thanks for that information. Somehow, I knew you'd know.

Imagine, Linda's now back in Mexico, where she was born...

Yes, I did know that she was married to Edmond Purdom but didn't know for how long. She does get around, doesn't she?

She was living in London at one time when I bumped into her on the street and we had an impromptu tea at Brown's Hotel. She was all turban and cape, large sun glasses and a long cigarette holder and very chatty. She was still married to Edmond then. I think she had filmed something with Rex Harrison and Moira Lister, but can't think what!!!

I'd love to see her again. I got along fine with her but others disliked and even hated her - I won't say who - but you can guess!!!!! I didn't really know her well but saw her about 3 or 4 times over the years.

Thanks again.

Larry

Larry, I cannot imagine who you are that you know so many people - all I can say is great stuff! I notice you're from Calgary - I'm from Lethbridge. LOL (For the rest of you, we're both from Alberta, about 150 miles apart). Funny to meet on here when Canadian's aren't even "supposed to" be able to get TCM. :-) I know I would DIE without it - or maybe just wish I would. :-) Soooo - the way I get it is a "bit" illegal - but I DO pay for it, the dish company just "think" I'm in the States. :-) Hope my saying that can't get my goose cooked! Damn CRTC anyway! TCM forever reign!

THANK you guys so much! I'm in Canada and didn't know anything about the FOX network. (Maybe I'm just out of touch. I watch TCM 99% of the time.) I'll get my dish company to add it to my package right away! I don't care about repeats if I get to see what I want. Thanks so much for the info - I assume they play quite a few classics?

About Lana - yes, in her book she discusses being pregnant with Ty's baby, which ended in abortion - what a child that would have turned out to be! The photos I've seen of his son (don't know who his mom is) are awesome - just about as gorgeous as his dad. :-)

When is the last time anyone saw "Captain from Castile"?

I supposed that is owned by FMC.. Right Mongo???? Not even on DVD yet. I think its on laserdisc though....

Hi Katyscar11et,

Nice to know a fellow Albertan is actually getting TCM. I think it is discrimination that the CRTC doesn't allow American movie channels into this country.

What is free enterprise anyway????

The Canada Post and CRTC are at the head of my "Sh-t List"; I can't tolerate government bureaucratic incompetancy and stupidity....

As to Tyrone Power -- his son, Tyrone, Jr. was born after he died. His third wife was the mother and her name was Deborah Minardos (I think). The 'Deborah' is right, but my memory about 'Minardos' is shakey!! I know it wasn't Menendez (they were the killer brothers!).....

Yes, poor Lana -- she really was thrown for a loop when she didn't marry Tyrone. They were a beautiful couple; he so dark and she so blonde and they really could dance well together - too bad they didn't make a movie together. They really epitomized the word glamour and glamour couple......

Larry

As a fellow Canadian, I love Ty Power films, but just don't get why my satallite company, or any in Canada, doesn't pick up TCM. I've read somewhere recently that the CRTC has actually approved TCM but nobody will pick it up. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know. It's a crying shame that TCM has a forum in Britain and not here. Larry, you're right. What happened to free trade? CTV goes to great lengths to stress 'Canadian television' but do so over images of actors from E.R. and Law and Order. That doesn't make sense. Canadians like classic films just as much as Americans and it's entirely ridiculous we're getting shafted and some people have to go to great lengths themselves to watch the kind of films they want to.

Hi Johnnie,

I'm sure that TCM and many other US TV stations are conforming to "Canadian content" much more than the ones in Canada.

Just think -- several actors, actresses, directors and producers are and were Canadians and should count as 'CC'....

Mary Pickford, Walter Pidgeon, Norma Shearer, Marie Dressler, Glenn Ford and Louis B. Mayer, himself are just a few and surely these people appear in movies on TCM and could qualify.

Norman Jewison is a current producer/director, who has done both movies and television in Canada and US.....

What's the problem with the CRTC???? They're narrow-minded and have no vision. They're like that movie "Pleasantville" - all black and white and no colour.

Larry

BTW, where are you located in Canada, if that's not too intrusive???

Hi Larry

Yes, indeed. TCM could run entire months devoted to Canadians in Hollywood, if they haven't already done so without even noticing it. Let's not forget about Mack Sennett, Jack Warner, Raymond Massey, Walter Huston, Marie Dressler, Fay Wray, Ruby Keeler, William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, Berton Churchill (one of my favorite character players), Wilfred Lucas, Douglass Dumbrille, the old producers Al and Charles Christie, Allan Dwan, Del Lord (responsible for many great Sennett shorts and The Three Stooges' best work), the legendary Florence Lawrence, Donald Sutherland...good grief, the list could on forever. We sure grow 'em good here, but I suppose the CRTC doesn't care about that or Canadian content anywhere but on their own turf.

And that's a hilarious comparison between Pleasantville and the CRTC; you're so right. Something's got to give. I just don't understand why my satallite company broadcasts ABC, CBS, NBC networks and affiliates (and they don't show Canadian commericals) and other American networks but won't touch TCM with a barge-pole.

I used to read these forums for ages before I just couldn't help but stick my two cents in here and there (maybe too much, there's another thread I've been contributing to in which I've been introduced to Ariel...), coz I love old films so much. I used to see TCM awhile back and luckily got to get many of the titles I always wanted but never dreamed I'd see. Now, I'm out to sea. Let's hope the CRTC, or the satallite companies, come to their senses and let viewers watch what WE want and not what THEY want us to. I suppose the trouble lies with the amount of potential viewers TCM would pull in over The Ultimate Fighting Challenge and drek like that.

Either way, I live in southern Ontario, not too far from Toronto. That's not too intrusive a question but thanks for asking. I can't even count the amount of American movies that are shot in T.O., or even in the vicinity where I live---coz we sure love the money, but don't care to let Canadians watch North American film history unfold on TCM. I write North American film history because of the names you mentioned and those I've contributed and the countless of other Canadians and Mexicans without whom American movies would be a little less stirling, and pre-code fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves without Norma Shearer...

Nice to know fellow Canadians are here. I don't feel as out-of-place.

johnny--It's funny that you mention a month devoted to Canadians because TCM did just that a few months ago, with most of the people you mentioned. I remember it because they showed an awful picture of William Shatner's called White Comanche. And Robert Osborne owned up to the fact that it was pretty cheesy before it came on. I kind of got a kick out of it though. It was Shatner's try at the spaghetti western but it was filmed in Spain with some really awful supporting cast. It was a hoot.

I don't know if I was aware of that or not; I can't remember. A few months ago I was really, really busy finishing a bunch of papers and wasn't really checking up on TCM and, as I wrote below, I'm currently not tuned in. I'm even more impressed, if that's the word, TCM showed White Comanche. I've got a pretty bad [pan and scan] DVD print of it, courtesy of the bargain-bin label, Platinum. I bought it just to see Shatner's performance and, yeah, that film's a riot! Speaking of Shatner, have you seen The Explosive Generation, in which he's a high school teacher trying to teach kids about sex but getting dumped by the powers-that-be? Shatner's a pretty silly guy, but there's something about his acting I like. There...must...

be...something...wrong...with...me....

Thanks for your post!

Don't get me wrong--I love Shatner!! He was the best thing about White Comanche, if indeed there was something to like about the movie. I tried to get a board started on it at the time but apparently I was the only one who watched it. But he's done some good work and he doesn't take himself too seriously. And if there's...something...wrong...with...you...then...I'm...

afflicted...too.

Because you brought it up, I had to stick my awful copy of White Comanche in my player last night and re-watch a couple of minutes of it. What on earth was anyone, especially Shatner, thinking when they made this film??? His appearance is similar to that of Kirk's in the episode of Star Trek where he's longing for Mirimani from some alien Native tribe. Last week, I picked up a cheap DVD of a Studio One program called The Defender, with Ralph Bellamy, Shatner, Steve McQueen and Martin Balsam. Looks interesting, especially to see Shatner and McQueen acting together in what I believe is their only co-starring production.

And your...Post...gave me a...Chuckle...

Johnny