Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Thread for Fred?

misswonderly3

Not talking about Mr. Fred C. Dobbs (the cinematic nor the message board version.)

Nope...talkin' 'bout the Star of the Month for December, the great FRED ASTAIRE.

I know he's been discussed on these forums many times, but that's because he deserves it.

I'll say it loud and fair, I LOVE FRED ASTAIRE !

Nobody epitomizes grace and elegance like he does. There's something absolutely perfect about a Fred and Ginger dance, with those black and white Art Deco sets and some timeless melody, by the likes of Irving Berlin and his ilk.

I know what I'm trying to say...it's Heaven.

I know what you mean about the incomparable Fred Astaire. He's definitely one of a kind. Although they only made a few movies together, I especialy love his routines with Vera-Ellen. It's pure magic when those two get together. She's very under-rated as a dancer.

Terrence.

No connection, fi.

After the first page of posts on the Gene Kelly thread, I stopped following it. I am not interested in trashing Gene Kelly, I like him.

But I like Fred Astaire more.

Please let's not make this thread a comparison of the two. They are very different. I'm tired of people comparing things like this - they're both great.

The reason I started this thread has nothing to do with the Gene Kelly thread.

I started it because it's December tomorrow, and the December star of the month is Fred Astaire. And I hadn't noticed a thread about him for this, so I jumped in (or should I say, pirouetted in?)

That seems like rather an aggressive response, Lorry Driver. In a passive way, that is. I guess that's called "passive-aggressive".

If you don't like Fred Astaire or his work, fine. I have never started a thread here where I only want to hear from people who agree with me. Too much agreement can be boring.

All I ask is, if someone doesn't like something, that they bother to state their reasons why. If you dislike Fred Astaire, please feel free to say so on this thread. But please also articulate why you don't like him.

If you do like him, I'm not sure what your post is supposed to mean.

> no one better dare criticize Fred Astaire. Watch out, if you do.

sounds pretty scary.

still, I can't imagine what could possibly happen to me if I did criticize Fred, other than some people calling me wrong for having done so.

I wish TCM would show his last movie, the haunty 'Ghost Story' from 1981.

Basic movie equation: Fred Astaire = class. Liked him in whatever he did, even in the awkward instances where the actress he starred with was not appropriate for his--um--time of life (Daddy Long Legs being the extreme example). Let's see if there's a FA movie I don't like. Scrolling up the IMDB filmography list. Flying, Top Hat, yes, Swing, yes, Damsel, oh, not so good, Second Chorus, eh, You'll Never Get Rich, same, hey, never seen The Sky's the Limit, hope they show it, Easter, Royal Wedding, Funny Face, yes, yes, Towering Inferno--well, I guess there are Fred Astaire movies I don't like. But I always like his work in them. Truly a talent independent of the material he had to work with. My favorite of his dances with Ginger Rogers are not ones usually recognized as the best. They are the one to "Face the Music and Dance," from Follow the Fleet, and the one to "Pick Yourself Up," from Swing Time. The last being about the best example of fitting a dance to music there is.

And who was cooler than Alistair Mundy?

Rock out, Miss Wonderly!!! Hope you totally groove it to Fred's month!!!

Though I will have to admit being just a bit scared when I saw the title of this thread and thought something had happened to our very own Fred C Dobbs!!! Glad to know it was not and was about that bust a move guru, Astaire, baby!!

>Nope...talkin' 'bout the Star of the Month for December, the great FRED ASTAIRE.

Heehee, the first Fred that popped into my mind was our favorite forum curmudgeon! Glad you clarified.

The Astaire/Rogers films were some of the first "classics" I got interested in. I loved the songs and found the dancing pure entertainment. The stories were cute & the great supporting actors always delighted.

Many songwriters wrote what are now "standards" with Fred's singing in mind. His interpretation of songs were as good as his dancing. Listen to any Fred Astaire LP to confirm that.

One New Years Eve, TCM showed a marathon of Astaire/Rogers films. I had the TV on just for backround interest. Around 11pm or so, so many were gathered around the TV, I turned up the volume. Maybe it was the booze, but everyone was laughing and really getting a kick out of the corny jokes. The timelessness of these films for all my guests was a surprise to me.

I once asked my Mom how Astaire/Rogers films went over with audiences in their day and she said, "When Fred started singing, all the men went to the lobby for a cigarette."

And SO MANY credit Michael Jackson as being such a great dancer (which he was) but if you watch him & are familiar with Fred Astaire, you'll see many lifted "moves" captured in Fred's films. (since Hermes Pan was the choreographer, were they HIS moves?)

Fred was a great actor, if given the chance. His role in ON THE BEACH is one of my favorites. Is there anything he couldn't do?

Most guys find Fred kind of "funny looking". I point out most women generally find anyone so well mannered and charming just fine in the looks department, so there.

His first partner was his sister and she was considered a great beauty. They look a lot alike, don't they?

th?id=H.5037349279236744&pid=15.1

Their real last name was Austerlitz. Whenever I drive past the town of Austerlitz NY I play Fred Astaire on the car player in his honor. His art & talents have brought much pleasure into my life.

OK, OK. Simmer down kids. Don't MAKE me turn this thread around!

Jackson has publicly saluted Astaire as a dancer and influence, and Fred was always generous in his praise of Jackson. Same with Kelly. So let's not open some kind of can of worms.

My favorite story about Astaire involved a file in which a producer wrote in appraisal of one of Fred's earliest auditions read:

" Average looking. Acts OK. Seems to carry a tune. CAN DANCE A LITTLE"!

Both of my wives (at different times, of course) along with my Mom and Grandmother agreed that while Fred wasn't that good looking by a long shot, it WAS his demeanor, sense of class and easy going, quick smile that was the main attraction.

In my opinion, what made Fred as a dancer more appealing to me than Kelly was that Fred made it look so easy, it wasn't hard to imagine ANYONE could do the same. Such grace and ease. Watching his feet in those dance scenes is a marvel. The only other dancers to stike me with that much awe were Bill Robinson and the Nicholas brothers.

Sepiatone

I know what you mean about the incomparable Fred Astaire. He's definitely one of a kind. Although they only made a few movies together, I especialy love his routines with Vera-Ellen. It's pure magic when those two get together. She's very under-rated as a dancer.

Vera-Ellen is my favorite dancer, male or female. Fred Astaire, along with Donald O'Connor is a favorite, as well. Along with his incredible talent, is a screen personality I love. Even when he's not dancing, as in THE TOWERING INFERNO.

@te712: "That whole thing was unreadable. And I have ADD and ADHD and the whole thing. Your paragraph just sucked, dude."

te- I got a deal for you. Holiday season, everybody's looking for an extra buck or two.

I'll pay you $50 to watch you read "Finnegans Wake" just to see if your head explodes.

I think comparing Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly is a matter of their styles The words already cropping up on this thread for Fred (hey that rhymes! :) )like "style" "class" "grace" pretty much sum up his style. Gene Kelly was just as good a dancer, but his style was much more athletic--he often encorporated great leaps and bounds and broad arm motions (and facial features) into his dances. Gene Kelly was also very handsome and rather built (well, he was) and Fred had a more slender, elegant sort of build.

I think the eras in which each became most popular are part of it too--Fred hit biggest in the 30's,where it was all Art Deco and black and white elegance and Gene Kelly didn;t really come into his own until after the war years, when elegant was no longer a big thing--being more real and "fleshy" was, if that makes sense.

(I do find it funny(ish) that Fred said of Gene Kelly's abilities "He's a very good director." LOL)

>Jackson has publicly saluted Astaire as a dancer and influence, and Fred was always generous in his praise of Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceU4ANZKdOM The influence is pretty obvious in this clip.

I always love it when the newer artist pays respect to those who came before him. Its like a continuation of a chain that keeps performers connected. Very little is new at this point.

And I've never understood the concept of downing someone in order to make someone else appear greater. Astaire needs no help, his work stands on its own. His grace and class is something we just don't see anymore and that's unfortunate.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings