Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
tcmfan4ever82!

What classics would you like TCM to air?

I'm sure that many classic film lovers out there have been giving so much in regards to selflessly expressing your input as to what classic movies should be showcased on Turner Classic Movies via the Suggest a Movies, and so I'd thought that I could take the time to ask/direct the same questions to all of my classic film friends out there who view TCM here or internationally. For me I would love for them to show the classic film noir Ride the Pink Horse (1947) directed by & starring Robert Montgomery; I know that TCM can't air all/some of the classics due to the film's copyrights (or something along that nature) but it would be pretty cool if it was true.

A year or two ago TCM aired some movies from the Eastman House collection in Rochester, N.Y. I know for a fact that in their collection is a famous Louise Brooks classic from Paramount in 1928 called BEGGARS OF LIFE. TCM has never shown this film. Besides Ms. Brooks the film starred Richard Arlen and Wallace Beery. It was directed by William Wellman.

Josef von Sternberg's UNDERWORLD would be another classic that needs to be shown. It has appeared already on a pricey DVD but not TCM.

Here's my list:

Body and Soul (1931)

The Man in Possession (1931)

Jimmy the Gent (1934)

Midnight (1934)

The Dark Angel (1935)

The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936)

Destry Rides Again (1939)

Tower of London (1939)

Blue Bird (1940)

Western Union (1941)

Kid Glove Killer (1942)

The Great Gildersleeve (1942)

Gung Ho! (1943)

The Suspect (1944)?

The Naughty Nineties (1945)

Body and Soul (1947)

Brighton Rock (1947)

Ride the Pink Horse (1947)

T-Men (1947)

Force of Evil (1948)

Moonrise (1948)

Pitfall (1948)

Raw Deal (1948)

Road House (1948)

Ruthless (1948)

Beyond the Forest (1949)

Champion (1949)

Criss Cross (1949)

Follow Me Quietly (1949)

Red Light (1949)

Too Late for Tears (1949)

Whispering Smith (1949)

The Enforcer (1951)

Sudden Fear (1952)

Rogue Cop (1954)

The Country Girl (1954)

Illegal (1955)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The Killing (1956)

Slaughter on Tenth Avenue (1957)

The Enemy Below (1957)

One-Eyed Jacks (1961)

The Criterion Von Sternberg Silents collection is not a pricy DVD release. Besides UNDERWORLD, you also get THE LAST COMMAND, THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK and a fine documentary. This is a fabulous collection and I'm surprised in the 3 plus years since it was released none of these films have been shown on TCM. They keep telling me that the movies have to be licensed from Paramount, rather then Criterion. What ever the case may be, all three of these titles should have been picked up.

Here is a short list of some other fairly easily available Silents I would like to see on TCM that have never been shown before.

THE OYSTER PRINCESS (1919) - Directed by Ernst Lubitsch.

THE DOLL (1921) -Lubitsch.

THE WILDCAT (19210 _Pola Negri, D. Lubitsch.

DON'T CHANGE YOUR HUSBAND (1919) Gloria Swanson, Thomas Meighan, Bebe Daniels. Directed by Cecil B.DeMille.

WHY CHANGE YOUR WIFE? (1920) Swanson, Elliot Dexter, D. DeMille.

POLLYANNA (1920)- Mary Pickford.

LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY (1921) Mary Pickford.

THROUGH THE BACK DOOR (1921) -Mary Pickford.

MONTE CRISTO (1922) -John Gilbert, Estelle Taylor, Renee Adoree.

TO' LABLE DAVID (1921) -Richard Barthelmess. D. Henry King.

ADAM'S RIB (1923) - Pauline Garon, Milton Sills, Anna Q. Nilsson, Elliot Dexter. D. DeMille.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923) - Richard Dix, Leatrice Joy, Rod La Rocque, Nita Naldi, Estelle Taylor. D. DeMille. (On Blu-ray Extra from Paramount.)

PETER PAN (1924) - Betty Bronson, Esther Ralston, Mary Brian, Virginia Browne Fair, Anna May Wong. D. Herbert Brenon.

THE LAST LAUGH (1924) Emil Jannings. D. Fw. Murnau.

DIE NIBELUNGEN Saga (1924) - Fritz Lang. (On Blu-ray from Kino)

HER SISTER FROM PARIS (1925) Constance Talmadge, Ronald Colman, George K. Aurthur. D. Sidney Franklin.

FAUST (1926) - Emil Jannings, Camilla Horn. D. Murnau.

THE BLACK PIRATE (1926) -Douglas Fairbanks Sr. , Billie Dove. (Two Color Technicolor. On Blu-ray from Kino.)

3 BAD MEN (1926) - Olive Borden, George O'Brien. John Ford.

MANTRAP (1926) - Clara Bow, Ernest Torrence, Percy Marmont. D. Victor Fleming. (Beautiful print transfered from 35 millimeter authorized by Paramount found on the Treasures West Box set.

SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927) -Janet Gaynor, Charles Farrell. D. Frank Borzage.

THE GAUCHO (1927) Douglas Fairbanks Sr. Lupe Velez.

CHICAGO (1927) Phyllis Haver, Victor Varconi. D. DeMille.

CITY GIRL (1928) Charles Farrell, Mary Duncan. D. Murnau.

RAMONA (1928) - Dolores Del Rio, Warner Baxter. (Note this long Lost film is supposed to be coming out on Blu-ray soon.)

THE RED DANCE (1928) Charles Farrell, Dolores Del Rio. D. Raoul Walsh. (New Restoration ran on Arte TV France last year.)

LONESOME (1928) -Barbara Kent, Glen Tryon. D. Paul Fejos.

ASPHALT (1929) -Betty Amman. D. Joe May.

EVANGELINE (1929) -Dolores Del Rio. Just re-released by Milestone after being out of print for many years.

I'd like to see any movie that has to do with a murder mystery in an old spooky mansion. I love all the old murder mystery shows from the 20's to 40's.I like all the old murder mystery shows whether they have an old mansion or not.

Murder on a Honeymoon

Murder on the Blackboard

Penguin Pool Murder

Whistling in the Dark

Whistling in Dixie

Whistling in Brooklyn

Having Wonderful Crime

Ghost Breakers

Nancy Drew....

Torchy....

etc, etc, etc, I love them all.

I also like all of the comedies from

Laurel and Hardy ( all of their movies)

Wheeler and Woolsey (The Nitwits)

Abbott and Costello (monster and mystery movies)

Harold Lloyd

Buster Keaton

thanks for the nudge for Ride the Pink Horse (1947, a movie to be seen and regarded well.

i've been longing to see (again, but it's been more than 50 years since i've seen) Son of Paleface (1952) w/Bob Hope, Jane Russell, Roy Rogers and a sleepy-headed Trigger. in addition, i'm waiting for The Night My Number Came Up (1955). Number is Ealing Studio's last picture, was a BAFTA Best Picture nominee and gets 4 stars in the Maltin review.

there are big problems with Pink Horse and Son of since they were produced at Universal and Paramount respectively and those studios currently are holding tightly to their broadcast and distribution rights.

Number's absence from the TCM rotation is puzzling. many early Alec Guiness movies made for Ealing have been in heavy rotation on TCM for several years, along with the studio's other comedies and a few dramas. why Number is missing mystifies me. when i look up Number in the TCM database, i notice there's no "Article" available in the left side toolbar. that means Number has likely never been shown on TCM. why?

I'd like to see Rembrandt (1936) two or three times in the next two months. Someone requested 38 showings of Forbidden Planet and got them.. mine should be easy ;)

St. Louis Blues (1958) Paramount

Once In a Lifetime (1932) Universal

Murder By the Clock (1931) Paramount

Love With the Proper Stranger (1963) Paramount

Come Fill The Cup (1951) Warner Brothers (RIGHTS PROBLEMS)

Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948) Paramount

San Diego I Love You (1944) Universal

Life of Riley (1949) Universal

By Whose Hand? (1932) Columbia (Aired once -January 2007)