Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Boy, Gene Kelly Was A Real Jerk!!

>What happened on July 12, 1979? Nobody told me about it. I was wearing my platform heels, open shirt, with a huge medallion hanging from my neck, well into the '80s.

That's you in the middle - isn't it? (ca. 1987)

2myqgzk.jpg

If the magnificent "Broadway Melody" set piece in Singin' in the Rain was a "vanity piece" for Gene Kelly, it sure proved to be a pretty fortuitous one for the career of Cyd Charisse. (Other dancers would kill to have such a great opportunity in an attempt by a star to merely "promote" himself, as you claim it to be).

A plot stopping sequence? It depends upon one's point of view. A film can have a great lengthy sequence, such as this one, with that sequence adding to the enjoyment of the film, rather than advancing its narrative.

Watching leggy Charisse tease and entice "gotta dance" Hollywood newbe Kelly's character in this film set piece has always been one of the highlights of this classic film for me.

Cyd_charisse_singing_in_the_rain.jpg

Cyd Charisse - a great, sensual dancer who got her big break through Kelly in this film. And it doesn't hurt that the lady could have passed as a sister of Ava Gardner.

>What happened on July 12, 1979? Nobody told me about it. I was wearing my platform heels, open shirt, with a huge medallion hanging from my neck, well into the '80s.

Hmmm...then you were either still in Philly OR out there gettin' jaywalking tickets in L.A. while dressed like that, and NOT in Chicago on that date, finance....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night

>If you were a cop, and you saw a guy dressed like that, wouldn't you dream up a reason to give him a ticket?

LOL

Nope, ONLY if Chief Daryl Gates had assigned me to the "Fashion Police Division" at the time! ;)

Dreadful "Good Mornin'" !!! Different strokes for different folks department. Great fun number, perfectly appropriate plotwise at that point and it showcases all three leads together in this number- one of the reasons SITR is the greatest musical of them all.

And now this...i can't get to sleep, Finance!

>Magic" was her best recording?

>"Magic" is a great tune with a great intro, but I am also partial to "Heart >Attack" and especially this very 1980s video:

Oh wow. I had that album! Of course being the type of teenage girl who was partial to rainbows, this was my favorite song on the album :) Eek.

And as to "Singin in the Rain" I don;t think that there is a single unenjoyable moment in that movie. The Melody of Broadway segment drags a bit, but it does feature Cyd Charisse, so yeah.

Yes, traceyk, "The Promise (The Dolphin Song)" is a very lovely Olivia Newton-John song.

In the 2007 stage musical XANADU adapted from the 1980 film, the ON-J hit "Have You Never Been Mellow?" (which was not in the film) was added. In the play, this song was sung as a plea to Zeus to reverse his decision to banish Clio (Kira) to the netherworld for having fallen in love with a mortal. In the end, Zeus did agree not to send Clio to the netherworld. However, she did have to live on earth as a mortal . . . and as an Australian.

>As I get older, I seem to be rocking out more and more (That's a good thing) so my tolerance for pop seems to be decreasing.

Yes finance, that does seem to be a very common transitional phase with you older guys....

597799lg.jpg

LOL

(...sorry, just couldn't resist) ;)

I could give the "rocking chair" a whole new meaning.... Incidentally, my favorite spinning instructor was 75 yesterday. You ought to hear the stuff that he plays in class. Stones, Van Halen. Bowie. Ozzy. U2.

Edited by: finance on Dec 2, 2013 6:00 PM