Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reeloldfilms - Has Anyone Purchased DVDs From Them?

TomJH

I came across this vintage film purchasing website recently, offering thousands of titles, collector to collector, they say, at quite reasonable prices.

A few of the titles really had my eyes popping out because they are so rare. (The Ronald Colman Beau Geste, for example, or Paul Leni's The Last Warning, though most of their titles are talkies).

If anyone has used this website, could you let me know if you would recommend them or not? Were there any problems with money (they accept credit cards and PayPal), and were you pleased with the quality of the image. Were there any problems with the discs, or with trying to returning them, if so?

Reeloldfilms say that they've been in operation for 10 years, and offer region free DVD sales around the world.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer in my decision making as to whether to try their service.

Hello Tom,

The reviews I've found for Reeloldfilms.com have not been good with at least one highlighting the owner's questionable background and current condition(s). The films that are not available on VHS or DVD appear to be supplied by this company in the form of poor transfers from TV screens.

Here are two sites with reviews and comments. Just do a page search for "Reel".

http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/01/welcome-to-together-and-blow-blog.html

http://journeysinclassicfilm.com/2013/02/06/i-wanted-wings-1941/

Thanks very much for your investigation, Kid.

I see that one of the websites you provided talked relatively positively about the service (making reference to Barbara in Customer Service as being helpful) while an anonymous comment on the other site gave a warning against them, saying they hadn't delivered anything in a while (as of that comment at the begining of this year).

The fact that the sources of many of the recordings would be off old television broadcasts is no surprise (except to think that the Colman version of Beau Geste ever was on television, if that is the case with this particular film). That, unfortunately, is what you have to settle for for films that have never had a home video release of any kind.

I'm still in a quandry as to whether to take a chance (I would experiment with just one film) but, again, thanks for getting me those two comments (unfortunately the comments differ a bit). The website does offer a 1-800 number by which to call them.

You're welcome, Tom.

Without more to go on, and since you are eager to own one or more, the best thing to do may be to write off your investment from the start as an expendable expense and go for it :) This is no different than any other form of gambling.

Good luck!

Can you say "bootlegger"? That's what any company that sells films that are not in public domain (and many on their list aren't) is. Having said that, if people want to buy from them that's their business.

Before ordering, read their "terms & conditions", I did, and what the buyer is doing is waiving all their legal rights to take any action against the company. Basically, if you send them money and don't get your DVD, you're out of luck. I'm not a lawyer, but it also looks to me that they're selectively quoting parts of the copyright laws to make what they do all sound legal.

The biggest problem I have with outfits like this is providing them with my credit card or checking account number. If you really must order from them, use care. You also might want to consider checking with the BBB in their area. Good luck.

Thanks, Mark. Reeloldfilms is advertising a couple of films that I may not have a better chance of getting, even if the quality isn't going to be particularly good.

They are also offering to take payments through PayPal, through which I am thinking of setting up an account now. That way, at least, my credit card will be safe.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings