Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Libeled Lady Question

BasilBruce

Hello all,

well I have seen Libeled Lady numerous times and every time I've watched it I have the same question. How did Bill Powell convince Myrna to marry him? Did he explain the whole situation? Did he wait until after they married? Why didn't they have a blood test? Also when in the movie do you think he fell in love with her? It seems that he acts the same around her through the whole movie, and a heel the rest of the time. Did he actually fall for her?

I'd just assumed that Powell and Loy were made for each other all along, and anyway, since there was no way that Tracy and Loy could ever have matched up, that leaves only one possible set of pairings. Remaining single at the conclusion of a Hollywood movie in 1936 simply wasn't an option, and as we all know, *arson* has always been illegal. ;)

Screwball comedies usually defy explanation. The slowly developing relationship between Bill and Myrna proves the old saying that opposites attract (sometimes). Funny thing, even Jean Harlow warms to Bill somewhat , remember at the beginning of the film she can't stand him. Towards the end I was thinking that Spence might be the odd man out. But its "screwball" so Jean forgives him. And all live happily ever after (for how long, who knows?)

Edited by: mrroberts on Nov 27, 2013 12:26 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings