Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

feeling of dread

FloydDBarber

The Mortal Storm (1940)

The first time I saw this film I felt dread. Seeing several of my childhood TV and film heroes such as Robert Young, Robert Stack, Ward Bond portraying Nazis so earnestly just blew me away. I mean these guys were all-American good guys in their own shows whom many kids such as myself looked up to and admired. Then I see them as part of the worst machine ever.

I watched it again this morning, as I do every time it's on, and I still get the dread. If it weren't for Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, and Frank Morgan, I would have felt as if my soul had been sucked out by a black hole.

>Dr. Strangelove. My wife saw this for the first time last week. The most depressing comedy she had ever seen.

Yep, I can see how she could think that, James. And this is because after many years of noticing very very few fans of this movie being of the fairer sex, I've come to the conclusion that "Dr. Strangelove" is DEFINITELY a "guy's movie".

(...my wife can not for the life of her fathom why I laugh at and love this movie so much)

SUNSET BLVD

FALLEN IDOL

Any film where you sense the charactors are "trapped".

Most film noirs make me feel this way too. Most notably WOMAN IN THE WINDOW

>I've come to the conclusion that "Dr. Strangelove" is DEFINITELY a "guy's movie".

Oy! It's been a favorite of mine (I don't THINK I'm a guy) since first seeing it in my 20's. And I know a few guys who find it "slow" and actually miss the humor.

>(...my wife can not for the life of her fathom why I laugh at and love this movie so much)

I think some of the humor is subtle, especially in the "straight" delivery, like GC Scott & Seller's (as the British Commander) roles....even the closing number.

Aside from films that are designed to fill the viewer with dread, here are my three:

1. Pay it Forward

*2. The Notebook*

3. All Mine to Give

*************SPOILER ALERT!!!!!*****************

I was fairly certain from the beginning that the Alzheimer's patient played by Gena Rowlands in THE NOTEBOOK was going to be the older version of the female lead, but I had a feeling of dread that the movie was not going to go the obvious route and make James Garner the older version of Ryan Gosling but instead have James Garner be the woman's other suitor and have the Ryan Gosling character be dead. In the end, the movie did go with the obvious (slightly happier) ending.

>Aside from films that are designed to fill the viewer with dread, here are my three:

I used to watch a lot of Holocaust films, but finally I realized that there is a feeling of dread in all of them, and I got so frustrated at not being able to jump into the film and shoot some of those Nazis, I had to stop watching them.

I was just knocked back on my butt when I saw Sophie's Choice, because all during the movie I thought her "choice" was going to be between the two young men. But there at the end, when they hit me with the Nazi thing at the train station, I got all emotional over that, and then the ending of the film. Oh man, that was too much. But it was a fantastic film and a great classic.

>DOUBLE INDEMNITY

That was an unusual film in that we see the story at the beginning with the poor sap telling about all the stupid stuff he did wrong.

"I did it for the money and a woman...... I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman".

Ha, the story of my life!

But I love the film, and at least in my life I: 1) didn't go to the gas chamber, and 2) I didn't get shot by the woman. :)

The re-make, Body Heat, was pretty good too.

But the re-make of Body Heat, (China Moon), wasn't very good.

See this about China Moon:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109417/board/nest/144153499?ref_=tt_bd_1

jakeem wrote:

<< the only questions were who would be killed in action, and when. >>

I think that is also called *suspense* or who's left standing in films. When I first saw "Saving Private Ryan", I wondered would they reach him in time before he's killed. (would it have a good or sad ending?)

The real feeling of dread were what the soldiers felt on the landing craft in Normandy.

casablancalover2, thanks for sharing the Honest Movie Trailer for THE NOTEBOOK. I'd forgotten that James Marsden (aka "Fancy Cyclops") played the other suitor.

I feel bad (kinda) that I did chuckle that Joan Allen was billed as "Julia Stiles" in this trailer and that I was also amused that Gena Rowlands was billed as "An Old Lady."

These movies fascinate me after some nightmares I had as a child.

I dreamt that there was some alien force that was moving down the alley outside my house. It was consuming everything in its path one house at a time and I could hear it approaching but did not know how far it was from my house. I was hiding in the basement with the lights out just waiting. The other thing that scared the hell out of me was the robotic cat that was sucking up the mice in a Mighty Mouse cartoon. And I dreamt I had fallen in the street and a vehicle was approching that would suck me inside. What can I say, I was a strange kid. I think when I saw Invaders From Mars some of these dreams started.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings