Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holy Cow, TCM is going to show Dr. Dolittle!

sewhite2000

It's in their database, so I guess they've shown it before, but I've never seen Dr. Doolittle in all my years of watching TCM. A few years back, they had a night where they showed four of the five Best Picture nominees from 1967 ... and Dr. Dolittle was the only one they DIDN'T show. I know it's a Fox movie, which may be part of the problem (I can only think of one time they've shown The Sound of Music in the last 10 years, for example), but seems I've also read the depiction of natives is cringeworthy, so I thought maybe like Song of the South, it had been locked away in the vaults. I'm definitely going to check it out instead of watching college football tomorrow night.

Yes, it's been shown a couple of times recently, and will show again in December. I've also heard of the controversy over the depiction of the islanders. I don't know who's raised it, but if it does have them portrayed in stereotypical manner, at least this stereotype includes them staging Shakespeare festivals.

The TCM database is not a catalog of what TCM has shown or has the rights to show. It's a reference source for films in general. Just because a film is listed in it doesn't mean TCM has or will show it. Incidentally, somebody once figured out if TCM had the rights to all of the films in the database and showed each one just once it would be something like 40 years before they would have to start repeating them.

The good doctor has "talked to the animals" many times on Fox's own Fox Movie Channel which has gotten away from showing many of that studio's older films, so they probably decided to make some money from it and lease it to TCM.

I've never seen it. But I think of a friend of mine who for years hadn't seen it either. When the advent of VCRs and VHS tape came along, he rented it to see what it was all about. He thought it was a poorly made and dumb movie. But, thinking ALL children's movies are a bit dumb, he decided to show it to his kids. THEY thought it was dumb, too!

Taking him and his kids at their words, I STILL haven't bothered to see it.

Sepiatone

Yeah, it was a real snoozer. I was disappointed, but at least I can mark it off my list. Hard to understand how thing thing got a Best Picture nomination and so many other nominations. Any other number of worthy pictures could have taken the fifth Best Picture slot that year - In Cold Blood, Cool Hand Luke, The Dirty Dozen. Heck, if you had to have a musical in there, pick either Thoroughly Modern Millie or Camelot over this. There's a story on imdb that a big ring-a-ding fancy dinner staged by Fox for Academy voters had something to do with all the nominations (they did the same thing next year with Star!). Sounds like the whole Pia Zadora winning a Golden Globe scandal.

>Just look at the other films nominated for Best Picture that same year, and notice how little DOCTOR DOOLITTLE fits in.

This has always bugged me about the Academy Awards. It's just a popularity contest among self-serving people in the profession. Somehow, the outward impression has been that people outside the field determine who nominees and winners are, based on talent, skill and overall quality. The whole idea of this "private club" extorting our interest, time and money to further popularize themselves is disturbing to me.

But hey.. that's show biz, right? :)

>There was an interesting book, the name of which escapes me at the moment, that discussed in detail all of the Best Pictiure nominees from that year, THE GRADUATE, BONNIE AND CLYDE, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, and DOCTOR DOOLITTLE.

It's *Pictures At A Revolution* by Mark Harris. He was a guest with Robert O after the book came out and presented most of the movies he wrote about. I don't remember if *Dr. Dolittle* was shown that night or not.

And the Academy changed the rules about the fancy studio sponsored dinners for films either being considered or vying for Academy Awards.

Ha, ha, well people are clearly not scrolling down all the way to read my original post (you have to check your ego when you get on a messageboard), where I referenced that night in question and mentioned that Dolittle was the only BP nominee not shown. That only fueled my fire to want to see it (though I see now, I could have skipped it).

But thanks for supplying the name and author of that book. I treated my local bookstore like a library and read about 50 pages of it when it first came out but never bought it for some reason. It was a great read. I'm seriously considering ordering it online.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings