Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO?

Guest Kfend

Guest Saladin, PatriciaAnn

Ref: High & Mighty w/John Wayne.... I heard on IMDB last year that this film is controlled by Batjac Productions, and that his family will not let this film be shown.... some kind of lawsuit about it going on... that was what I HEARD, anyway.

Guest olmsted, l

Well, I'll be back in Cleveland toward the end of May. Maybe we should exchange e-mail addresses so we don't tie up the board with our own discussions about Cleveland, theatre, etc. Would love to hear from you--I'm at lolmsted@wwm.co.pima.az.us.

Guest K, Sandy

Sad news for music and classic film fans- Vocalist Peggy Lee died yesterday at the age of 81. Peggy will be remembered by film fans by her performance in PETE KELLY'S BLUES for which she nominated for a best supporting actress Oscar, and for her wonderful voice work in the Disney animated film LADY AND THE TRAMP. Peggy, we'll miss you.

Guest Ross, Scott

I keep hearing Peggy Lee referred to as a jazz singer. I don't think of her as a "jazz" vocalist any more than I do Frank Sinatra. What both had was an unerring musicianship that took in some of the elements of jazz. Sinatra hung around outside New York clubs in his youth, listening to Billie Holiday; her influence shows in his peerless approach to a lyric. (I wonder who Peg listened to?) But you'd still be hard pressed to call him a jazz singer. Maybe, in the final anlysis, the distinctions don't matter. Sinatra was the greatest male vocalist after Crosby and Lee was in a class with Ella and Lena Horne. Curiously, we seldom hear her name in that company; maybe now she's left us, attention will be paid. And to anyone looking for a definitive Peggy Lee experience, try her album "Mirrors," a 1975 collection of Leiber & Stoller art songs (they wrote "Is That All There Is?") that is about as good as it's possible to get.

Guest K, Sandy

Scott, thanks for your interesting thoughts on Peggy Lee. You know, on the radio today, I kept hearing them refer to Peggy Lee as a jazz singer, too. Curious. I will be looking for a copy of "Mirrors," it sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dimeo, Nick

How could you possibly get a channel that calls itself American Movie Classics and than goes and shows movies like Predator with commercials in between mixed up with the world's greatest channel TCM. TCM is uncut an commercial-free as Bob Osbourne always reminds us. I wish people would get their facts right and stop mixing up a great channel with a not so great channel all the time!

Guest Hol, Lynette

I just watched "The Crowd" with Eleanor Boardman. Never heard of her before this morning, and I was impressed. Where can I find out more about her? Lynzy

Guest son, jery

Lynette, I saw your note regarding the beautiful Eleanor Boardman. Strange, but I just read an interview with her before she died. She was still a knock-out. She was a popular 20's star, not all that big, but like Meg Ryan today. In "The Crowd," she described how King Vidor refused to let her wear make-up of any kind. They brought her clothes in a 5 & 10 store. "The Crowd" is about the only movie of her's that is still around. Most have vanished.

LEWIS HOWARD? A couple of weeks ago I was watching a super Deanna Durbin movie with Kay Francis and Walter Pidgeon called IT'S A DATE. In it there's a wonderful young actor I didn't know playing opposite Deanna. I'm guessing from the credits he's LEWIS HOWARD. Does anybody know what happened to him?

Guest walker, ken

Hi Minnie, Heres some info on Lewis Howard.He was born 1-16-19 and died 9-29-51. He was in 15 films, the first being"First Love" [1939],and the last film was an unbilled role in"In a Lonely Place"[1950].For more information on movies and the stars,go to IMDb.com . kw

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Eleanor Boardman was married to King Vidor. She was very beautiful in THE CROWD, and it's a shame that more of her films don't exist.

Guest Ferrell, Jennifer

The High & the Mighty is owned by the Wayne family. It was produced by Wayne-Fellows productions in 1954. It was distributed by Warner Bros. The law suit is between Batjac Productions (owned by John Wayne now managed by Michael Wayne)and Warner Bros. It is over ownership rights. I too would love to see this movie again.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stevieg

I sent a message previously; however, I have a new e-mail address, so here I go again. Could someone please tell me the name of the music that was on several years ago, featuring a "film-noir" scene with an old movie marquee. The song has such a beautiful, haunting melody, and it has stayed on my mind for such a long time. Please help.

Guest Manos, Mike

The great actor Walter Brennen died over 10 years ago. I though he was a great actor. I always enjoyed watching some of his earlier movies that were made when he was in his 20's and 30's, but always played an older man.

• 1 month later...
Guest Williams, Dee

Whatever happened to the old Cinderella movie? The one with Leslie Ann Warren? I saw it as a child in black and white. Would love to see it again.

Guest K, Sandy

Dee, the Rodgers & Hammerstein version of Cinderella starring Lesley Ann Warren was actually in color. It was available on video years ago, but I don't think that it is available anymore. Check imdb.com or Amazon.com. The musical was originally filmed for tv starring Julie Andrews, and I believe that was black & white, but it is not available on video or dvd.

Guest Griffin, Mark

WHERE ART THOU, RUSTY? Whatever happened to the astoundingly photogenic Roger Herren who played Rusty in the notorious "disasterpiece" "Myra Breckinridge" (1970)? (What do you do for an encore after being raped by Raquel Welch?) If you anyone has any 4-1-1 regarding Roger's whereabouts, please let me know. I want to establish a fan club in his honor. Thanks...MarkGriffin@mpbc.org

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dee

Sandy, thank you so much for the information. I looked up the address you gave me, and I was able to purchase the video. Man, does it bring back memories of watching that as a youngster! Thanks again for your help

Guest Clare

I totally agree with the comments on editing. I love TCM and watch it all the time. But I have been so disappointed to see films like The Graduate cut for partial nudity. We see worse than this on National Geographic, the news, and every teenage television show out there. So, are they going to stop this practice?