Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO?

Guest Kfend

Guest finnie12, moira

Mongo, I doff my Hattie Carnegie hat to you and your impressive range of knowledge! Believe it or not, I have the recent book, "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" by Laura Hillebrand on reserve at my local library, so I expect Ms. Leeds is mentioned in that as well. Thank you very much---she was quite a memorable actress with potential--I'm so glad that she simply found something else to do with her life instead of living out another sad Hollywood tale.

Moira the book sounds like good reading. Perhaps you can share more info here regarding the Howard's once you read it. In the meantime I found out that Miss Leeds was very much in love with Jack Dunn, the skating partner of Sonja Hennie. However he was stricken with a rare disease and died suddenly in 1938. Also her husband Robert Howard owned and operated the Howard Manor, one of the best hotels in Palm Springs. Miss Leeds owned and managed a fashionable jewelry shop in Palm Springs for over 20 years.

Guest son, jery

Moira, I've always wanted to say "Everything I'm wearing is by Hattie Carnegie!" Strange you mentioned her name because I've just finished re=reading one of my all-time favorite memoirs, "The Honeycomb," by legendary star reporter, Adela Rogers St. Johns." She said that when she covered the Bruno Hauptman/Lindberg Kidnapping case, William Randolph Hearst sent Adela to Hattie Carnegie to design a dozen outfits--from shoes to hats--so this star reporter would look the part. There's a photograph showing Adela looking smashing in a pure mid-30s severely styled suit,hat, coat and I've always thought, God, that Hattie Carnegie must've been something else. OF course, if Hearst was footing the bill, it's no wonder Adela was always hailed as the "best-dressed woman reporter in the world!"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rinesmith, Morris

Does anyone remember the Red Rider and Little Beaver movies with Bobby Blake? Do they ever show them on TCM? If so does anyone know when they will be on? I used to go to the movies all the time as a kid to see these movies.

Guest walker, ken

Morris, I remember these movies fondly. I too ,saw them when I was a kid. VCI Home video offers some of the Ryder series on tape and an excellent Red Ryder serial on tape and DVD. I have the DVD . Picture and sound are great. Log on to vcihomevideo.com for more information. I've never seen them on TCM.

Guest Rinesmith, Morris

Ken, Glad to know someone else out there enjoyed them too. Thanks for the info. Do you know if they ever show them on CM? Morris

Guest walker, ken

Morris, Glad to help you out.I have never seen them on TCM and personally don't think they will be.Even the Encore Western Channel rarely shows any older westerns except Hopalong Cassidy and Tim Holt,which are ok, but there are many great Republic westerns that haven't been shown. They are showing restored Gene Autry westerns and I applaud them for that.

Guest clark, jim

I saw a movie the other evening titled "Young Bride" starring Helen Twelvetrees. I have never heard of her before and she was a fine actress. I went to the internet to find out more about her and couldn't fing a thing. What ever happened to her?

Guest Sharon

All I could ever find about her is that she was born in 1908 and died in 1958. Otherwise, there's really nothing significant on the internet about her.

• 1 month later...