Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Matthew Broderick

audrey33316

There's another thread on this somewhere. I did a quick scan of the board but couldn't find it. Anyway, quite a few posters on that thread echoed your sentiments practically word for word.

I was a freshman in high school when Wargames came out, a junior for Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Matthew Broderick was my role model, the guy I aspired to become. Ironically, I guess I did to some extent, because I imagine we would both sound equally stiff and awkward serving as a TCM host! It was something of a surprise to me as he moved beyond wise-**** high schooler roles that he generally started playing highly nervous, nerdy types. He went from being a sort of James Dean wannabe to Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby. The Freshman is the first "nervous Matthew" film I remember, and he's repeated that role frequently ever since. Looks like the characters he plays aren't far off in personality to his real-life persona.

Well sewhite, if you STILL feel somewhat kindred to Matthew, and STILL find yourself somewhat patterning your style after him, BUT are NOW having second thoughts about this whole thing, then HERE'S a little suggestion for ya:

Unlike Matthew, REMEMBER to occasionally utilize a little INFLECTION in your voice.

(...kind'a like how I've just typed this message out to ya here, ya see!)

LOL

The first thread about MB I defended how much I like him....well last night was the first time I've seen his TCM "Screwball" intros-and boy you were right!

It certainly doesn't help there is no backround setting for him, only seamless paper. But he had ZERO facial expression. Not only does he look uncomfortable and stiff (well, he used his hands a bit, it helped a little) but his line delivery was AWFUL.

Broderick's delivery was hesitant and a few times lost his rhythm- I would have asked for another "take". After all, isn't he a *professional?*

It just made me wonder how he could lead an audience through a big Broadway show like THE PRODUCERS....I know he was very popular in that.

Swithin, that's a shocker. I always imagined just the opposite of Matthew. That's a big disappointment. Loved his father James in the tv show Family it was my favorite show at that time, never missed an episode and I really wish that show was in re-run. I've always enjoyed Mathew's performances on film. Great as Ferris. Shucks, now I wish I hadn't read your post. ( but you're still 1 of my favorite posters here) ;)

>.. but the "word on the street" is that he's not a very likeable or generous chap.

This is interesting. Would you, or could you say if this is due to his demeanor, or could it be he's just not someone you can get next to - withdrawn and misunderstood?

For an actor with so much live stage experience he was inexplicably bad at those intros.

He was even worse at driving it other countries. And if the stories are accurate, facing up to the pain he caused.

I don't judge him as a performer based on his real life mistakes. But it doesn't surprise me that he comes off cold to some.

"Also, when I think of "screwball comedies", the last name I would think of would be his."

I don't know if I'd take it THAT far, te.

"Ferris Bueller" may not have been precisely "madcap" but the movie had several manic and creative bits and his character a fair amount of puck. "The Producers" musical wasn't as bright as the original, but again hardly a sullen affair. And "The Freshman", "Election", "The Road to Wellville" and "Tower Heist" all have some elements of screwball outlandishness. Plus he did a lot of Neil Simon.

His performances in *Election* and *Ferris Bueller* prove that Matthew is more than capable performing in comedies and understands comedy.

Another way possibly at looking at his hosting the intros and outros for screwball comedy maybe that he takes the genre Seriously and has much RESPECT for it. What would we have him do instead, a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down his pants? He didn't present the info in a silly, clownish way. He took this job seriously, and maybe we should lighten up with the criticism.

With that said, he did look a little uncomfortable, but I think he just wanted to impart good information and wanted us to admire the movies presented as much as we would admire great drama. Just another opinion and another way of looking at his presentations.